COST FOR CEMENT DRIVEWAY.

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

COST FOR CEMENT DRIVEWAY.

Postby falangsabai » Wed May 09, 2012 10:04 am

What is the current approximate m2 cost for a cement driveway. We will need 50 m2 including a walkway to the house. We want some metal reinforcing, but there is only one small car that will be using it. I would like to get an idea of what "all in price",( materials and labor) people have been paying recently . This will be very useful for negotiations. Thanks.
falangsabai

Re: COST FOR CEMENT DRIVEWAY.

Postby thailazer » Wed May 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Up here in Chiang Mai, our crew just did a concrete road for a friend of mine. 25 meters long and 3 meters wide on established base, the total cost for material and labor was 20,000 baht. The crew charged 80 baht per square meter for labor. Rolled up steel mesh was used for reinforcement and a mixer on site. Took 45 bags of cement and ended up a bit over 15cm thick. Crew brought their own shutter boards.
thailazer

Postby Mike Judd » Thu May 10, 2012 7:01 am

That seems a pretty fair price all up, what's the price of Ready-mix up there ? 11cu mts at B1,600 per mt down here in Khon Kaen= B17,600 without labour or the mesh. I just wish you could buy proper mesh in sheets of the various gauges here in Thailand, those rolls of mesh are pathetic , apart from being so thin it's all over the place when unrolled onto the ground.
Mike Judd

Postby thailazer » Thu May 10, 2012 8:58 am

Mike Judd wrote:That seems a pretty fair price all up, what's the price of Ready-mix up there ? 11cu mts at B1,600 per mt down here in Khon Kaen= B17,600 without labour or the mesh. I just wish you could buy proper mesh in sheets of the various gauges here in Thailand, those rolls of mesh are pathetic , apart from being so thin it's all over the place when unrolled onto the ground.

It was 1700 baht a cubic meter for CPAC down the chute 4 months ago but it may have gone up. 3 cubic meter minimum. We only used it for the footings as it ran like water.

You are right in as that rolled up steel is hard to deal with. On our house build, the crew wove together straight reinforcing rod for the floors on the inside of the house. Mesh only on the outside sidewalks and I remember the "mash-it-flat" routine well! I am sure if is fine for a road.
thailazer

Postby falangsabai » Thu May 10, 2012 10:56 am

THANKS FOR THE USEFUL INFORMATION. I'm in Phitsanulok and hopefully the costs are similar :) .
falangsabai

Postby pattayapope » Thu May 10, 2012 12:59 pm

The mesh is available in flat sheets I don't kow the price but I guess it is available from the larger builders merchants the type in the picture has rod about 6 mm diameter.

Road reinforcing mesh.jpg
pattayapope

Postby Mike Judd » Thu May 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Well that's a relief that sheet mesh is available after all, it's just that I have not seen it in Khon Kaen so far, even at Global House which has a really huge steel section. I had to make up my own out of 6m.m. rod for slabs, couldn't put up with using those rolls of "Chicken Wire". Here in Oz even the mesh comes in "deformed" steel now, to give greater grip in the concrete.
About the CPAC , I really stressed through my Partner to the supplier that I did NOT want soup like concrete, everything went O.K. with the first truck, just the right amount of water, so I assumed (Silly me) that they would all be the same. When the 2nd truck arrived I was distracted for a moment, then I saw this "soup" pouring out all over my carefully prepared steel,! "Bhudda" did I explode, got them to throw in a couple of bags of cement. but it took a phone call from my Partner to the CPAC boss man to make sure the next 2 loads were correct. Very frustrating.! T.I.T.
Mike Judd

Postby thailazer » Thu May 10, 2012 3:01 pm

Mike, I used to think that CPAC was the best you can get but no more. Spend some time at a premix plant and you will see how the feed hoppers get pounded on to work correctly. I don't think the consistency of batches is what we would hope it is. Hand mixing however, our crew would stack the pails of gravel and sand for a visual count before the bag of cement went in the mixer. That ensured every mixer batch was exactly the same. I will take a good crew and cement I buy myself over CPAC every time.
thailazer

Postby Mike Judd » Fri May 11, 2012 6:33 am

I think you are probably right about the CPAC . With the rest of the concrete that I have to do , there isn't any large amounts that have to be done in one go, so I might get a big mixer and let my 2 regular guys (with help) do the mixing. I haven't bothered to work out the difference in cost ,CPAC verses hand mix, but I prefer to give the money to the locals anyway. As you said, with a few containers standing ready with the correct amounts in them, you get the right mix.
Mike Judd

Postby thailazer » Fri May 11, 2012 8:38 am

Mike Judd wrote:I think you are probably right about the CPAC . With the rest of the concrete that I have to do , there isn't any large amounts that have to be done in one go, so I might get a big mixer and let my 2 regular guys (with help) do the mixing. I haven't bothered to work out the difference in cost ,CPAC verses hand mix, but I prefer to give the money to the locals anyway. As you said, with a few containers standing ready with the correct amounts in them, you get the right mix.

A quarter cubic meter mixer is about 20,000 baht without the motor. It is a worthwhile investment if you are doing a self-build or have multiple projects to do. Teach your crew to stack up the pails and do a count before the cement goes in the mixer. I saw our crew doing this was glad to see the care they took in that regard. We had about thirteen on our crew and the ladies were filling the buckets up with one strong guy up on a steel bench loading the mixer. Have fun!
thailazer

Postby cooked » Fri May 11, 2012 2:03 pm

agreed! A concrete driveway is one of the first things I will be doing at our house as soon as I recover from my honeymoon.
What about aggregate? (I won't go into wheel barrows again). The stuff that was delivered to us last time sight unseen was crushed gravel, about 30/60mm, we mixed it with sand and it hasn't collapsed yet. However, am I right in assuming that suitable aggregate for concrete is difficult to find? I don't even know where the stuff comes from yet, Isaan is very flat, like Norfolk, and they don't seem to have quite got the hang of using concrete just yet.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby Mike Judd » Fri May 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Up here in Khon Kaen they have plenty of crushed granite or what is known as Blue metal. It's the best aggregate for concrete, it comes in various sizes but 20m.m. the usual, If you are very fussy , like I was with all the beams etc; and hand mixing, you can use 12m.m.and 20m.m. mixed with coarse sand and the right amount of cement /water, then you get a dense strong mix. With CPAC as mentioned you are at the mercy of the suppler with no slump test or test cones carried out with each truck ,like in Oz etc; I have seen a Ready Mix company in Sydney have to reinforce all the floors and beams in a Paper factory , because the test cones didn't meet the required crushing strengths. There is usually 4 , one tested at 7 days then 14 days ,21 days and the final one at 28 days. That sort of thing keeps them honest, sadly lacking in Thailand.
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Fri May 11, 2012 6:08 pm

I'd be very curious to know exactly which of the genuine CPAC franchise depots here in Amphurmueang Khon Kaen is selling any concrete for ฿1,600 per cu. Last I heard - around 4 weeks ago - the cheapest steng was ฿ 1,900 plus a staggering ฿ 350 delivery per truckload for the 10 minute journey.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to material prices & building costs