Foor tile laying. Cost per Sq Mtr?

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Foor tile laying. Cost per Sq Mtr?

Postby trader » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:50 am

rovingdave wrote:
I'm just going to bin him. He has now proved that he is a lying, cheating sod, and I would find it hard to ever trust him again or believe anything he says.

I'm going to get the HomePro guys to do it.

applaud your decision :D
trader

Postby canopy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:24 am

rovingdave wrote:but to be honest I'm just going to bin him. He has now proved that he is a lying, cheating sod

Good man
canopy

Postby thailazer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:37 pm

Dave... Sounds like you did the right thing, and I am sure you've been around enough to part on cool terms. Too bad the guy didn't think about a long term relationship with you, but hey, stuff happens. May your grout get done well anyway!

We are about four days into our build and just had the construction blessing on the 11th. We are a long way from tile!
thailazer

Postby elgato » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:46 pm

Dave: How's it going with the Homepro tilers? Would like to see some pics.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby rovingdave » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi all,

Sorry it's been a bit of a while but things are a bit upsides down at the moment.

I went back to HomePro and told the girl i had been dealing with to go ahead and order the tiles and i will have them lay them.

Long story short. 'Cos of all the floods in Bangkok, my tiles are still in China. I'm not going to complain as i know three folk whose homes are partially submerged so any whinging on my part would be selfish. Cest la vie.

On a good note though, i have had a very good recommendation about a retired expat that runs a couple of squads and i have spoken with him on the phone. i come back from working at sea this Sunday 4th and meet with him on the 5th. he is going to have a look see and we shall have a sit down and discuss things.

Work that still requires to be done inside is mainly sparky work, finishing up wiring the extractor fans, water heaters in the loft for the showers, air cons and fitting a 'safety box' trip unit to the ring mains. I also have the kitchen to be built (but i have a guy for that already that did a great job on a friends house). And of course the floor tiling.

Loads to do outside. A large fish pond to be built, the house itself sanded, primed and painted, new ceiling/lighting on the outside car port, the whole patio re-tiled, and the main front perimeter wall rebuilt and tiled as it is in a very bad state (This was an existing house that was about 75% rebuilt, as opposed to a new build.)

So he can still get quite a bit of work as long as he is reasonable. I'll be telling him he is the third attempt and i am pretty jaded at the moment with builders in Thailand, so if he tries to take the Mickey, i shall not be 'Jai Yen Yen' like i had to be with my last Thai guy.

The thing is except for the sparky and rendering/plastering work, i could do the lot myself and have done so in the UK in the past. But i have more than 20 years to go before retirement and am just so busy that it would take forever.

Anyway, here's hoping....

I'll keep you all posted

thanks everyone for the help

Dave B
rovingdave

Postby pattayapope » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:15 am

Dave

Good luck with the builder I think you will need it, good ones are very rare especially in Pattaya. You should check out Globalhouse in Rayong it has a good selection and very good prices. I bought 90% of my tiles there and it was the only part of my build than came under budget. I carved my place out of 3 rai of old coconut groves and it took me 5 years (slow build in phases) and have some experiance in ponds and irigations system ect.
pattayapope

Postby rovingdave » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:49 pm

I forgot about them actually, that was daft, but i'll have a drive down early next week, Pattayapope.

Thanks for the reminder. However, there is a fair chance we shall wait it out for the tiles we have chosen. We tried everywhere in Pattaya region and had a few 'maybes'. Homepro at Carrefour (yes yes Big C Extra) was our last port of call as we live just 5 min drive from there.

My wife and i spotted the tiles at the same time and both said 'thats the ones'. So we may need to be a bit patient.

We actually rent the house next door to the rebuild and have been in there for 5 years. We wanted to buy the house we rented but they wouldn't sell, so as soon as the one next door came up for sale we jumped at the chance. It was 17 years old and very run down after having 4 thai families live there (all at the same time).

So i knocked down every internal wall, tore out all the ceilings, plumbing, electrics and windows and started again with the shell. The rent is very reasonable where we are so another few months wait whilst we carry on with the rest is no great hardship. We wanted to move in as soon as the interior was done and just live with the outside work going on, but maybe this has worked out for the best as i can just imagine my 4 year old daughter and her friends bringing in wet cement footprints etc etc.

Dave
rovingdave

Previous

Return to material prices & building costs