Foor tile laying. Cost per Sq Mtr?

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Foor tile laying. Cost per Sq Mtr?

Postby rovingdave » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well.

Just a quickie. I am nearly at the end of a complete house reconstruction here in Central Pattaya.

Now, to date, my Thai project manager has been an absolute God send from the 2 lots of workers i binned before i met him and the people he uses.

But now, we are on the last leg and about to lay the floor tiles. They are 800 x 800 tiles at 580 baht sq metre. Fairly good but nothing special really. Now he says to lay these would be 600 baht sq metre and i still have to buy the cement. Maybe i am having a sudden attack of being a cheap Charlie, but labour more expensive per Sq Mtr than product??

Any comments before i start shopping around?

Dave
rovingdave

Re: Foor tile laying. Cost per Sq Mtr?

Postby rovingdave » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Sorry, forgot to say.

Tiling area is 150 Sq Metre

Dave
rovingdave

Postby thailazer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:19 pm

90,000 baht seems pretty steep for that project! You might want to hit up the tile shop owner for recommendations of people do do the work. You could hire quite a few workers at 400 baht a day for that amount of money. Sounds like the builder might be doing a "last project" profit-taking session.
thailazer

Postby rovingdave » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi Thailazer,

Thanks for responding. i just got hit with that a few hours ago, but yes i agree, i think he sees the end of the project looming and is wanting to make some coin.

If thats the case then i am really disappointed as we have worked well together for so long. But, yes, i have lived here for many years and i should perhaps have expected this.

Nevermind, i shall be on the phone first thing tomorrow to get some other prices. If it is indeed the case he's trying to pull a fast one at the end, then i shall change all the locks, move all the equipment outside and call him to take everything away. I'm not shy, but i shall be unhappy nevertheless.

Tks

Any other comments forthcoming?

Dave
rovingdave

Postby thailazer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:30 pm

If you are happy with his work, you might want to give him a second chance once you get some other quotes. Back in the USA I got a ridiculous quote of 11,000 dollars for a deck behind our house from the builder. I took him aside and told him that it was 10% of the cost of the house and how could that be? He ended up doing it for 3000 and we were both happy.

It seems crews go in two camps here from short experience so far: One group wants to gouge you deep, and the second group is as honest as the day is long. My wife has been great in finding the good ones so far. It really isn't any different than the west but you have to use other mechanisms to differentiate between the two. Good luck with the tiling project.... Must be nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel!
thailazer

Postby rovingdave » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Again, many thanks Thailazer for taking the time to reply.

Your comments are well noted and taken onboard. After talking to my wife again (it was actually HER that first shouted WHAT!?!? at the quote).

We shall get three more quotes. One from the guys that usually do Boontavorn's tiling, one from HomePro's guys and i shall get another freelance quote too and then sit down with him again and talk things out.

Since this guy came aboard he has so far made my life so easy. He has always seemed to see 'The Big Picture' which is so rare here, and after our main home is finished i shall be buying a small apartment every two years or so for the next twenty years and fitting them out top notch for rental as my retirment fund and told him he would be the man to do that. So even for thailand i would be shocked if he is prepared to risk 30 grand Baht or so for many years future work. However, it is entirely possible.

Watch this space

Dave
rovingdave

Postby trader » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:28 am

rovingdave wrote:
Since this guy came aboard he has so far made my life so easy. He has always seemed to see 'The Big Picture' which is so rare here, and after our main home is finished i shall be buying a small apartment every two years or so for the next twenty years and fitting them out top notch for rental as my retirment fund and told him he would be the man to do that. So even for thailand i would be shocked if he is prepared to risk 30 grand Baht or so for many years future work. However, it is entirely possible.

a solo tiling tradesman should be able to lay 5 sq metres a day
say at 350 baht a day plus materials
leave you to do the maths :lol:

perhaps two days ago i briefly posted on this site the pitfalls of trust(engaging bldrs contractors etc etc) when doing your builds or renovations :) they can come across as angels and the very next moment turn into the devil :) you never know when you got them :D :lol:
trader

Postby dozer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:38 am

When paying by the sq meter the normal price range is 80 (on the low side) to 150 tops labor only, that is in Pattaya also. (Condos tiling is more expensive though/restrictive hours must use lift).
dozer
Site Admin

Postby canopy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:56 am

dozer wrote:When paying by the sq meter the normal price range is 80 (on the low side) to 150 tops labor only

That's more like it. HomePro charges 150/sqm and that is considered extremely high by some folks. So it's shameful to see a quote 70,000 baht higher than the highest end shop. Paying to lay tiles may be the worst value for money in Thailand. It's not hard work and materials and tool needs are minimal. So charging XXX baht per square meter rather than XXX baht per day of work is a clever way to separate people from their money: "see that square meter that took me 5 minutes? I charge a days wages for that". This is an area where DIY would save substantially and if careful you might actually have tiles that are laid evenly and level which I don't normally see from these so called professional installers. Also note it is archaic and disadvantageous to lay tiles in a mortar bed--find someone who uses thinset or DIY to get it right. I would not recommend asking someone who does mortar beds to do thinset as they would surely botch their first stab at it badly.
canopy

Postby dozer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:02 am

After being through a few project though, I would never use day labor to lay tiles, especially for more advance work. The specialty tile layer does make more per day and they deserve it. Most day labor doesn't even know the correct method to lay down granito tiles, which I found out the hard way. After finding a good tiler and paying him what he wants (by square meter) I could never be happier. BTW the rip off guys, like you say, don't bid it by the sq meter but by the job.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby rovingdave » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time to help me out here. I have gotten in the quotes and just talked to my build manager agin by phone. I told him the quotes and he just started to laugh and said I made a mistake, he would only charge 200 per sq mtr!! Even though I got the 600 from him twice in both English and Thai and then got my wife to call and ask in Thai it was still the same!

Excuse my language, but, lying bastard!

Next!

Bloody raging Dave
rovingdave

Postby dozer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:52 pm

glad u got it straightened out. if it is by the square meter and it is on the upper end, it should be 100%.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby rovingdave » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi all,

Still debating what to do. The guy, Somboon, has been a real help over the last 8 months and I can't take that away from him. Also, the people he has working for him have been terrific (mostly). But not sure what to do next. I know his guys would lay the tiles very well (the job they did with the Terracota tiles in both bathrooms was perfect) but that was a fixed price for the whole bathrooms and not a sq mtr job (electrics, plumbing, digging 2 soakaways, fitting toilets etc etc)

He has been caught out trying to do me at the end of this project and I'd like to tell him to eff off, but then I run the risk of cowboys again.

Might give it a day or two to calm down then invite him round for a wee talk, and see what happens.

Many thanks to all that have taken time out of their own builds to help me.

Dave
rovingdave

Postby trader » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:23 pm

hi r/dave :)
hard one to call..i.m.o. he is getting at least approx 10.000 to 12.000.baht goodbye bonus from you :(

try this for size :D

meet him at half way :) 160 baht a sq metre which will equal 6.000 haircut :)

you win as you have the same team etc etc :D you are nearing completion of your job(lets get it over with scenario)
and importantly you are not lying down like a old soi dog

he wins as the price tag is ooouuccchh :lol:

the above is about give and take :D on both sides

not necessary a win win soluotion but taking it all on board :( perhaps one would call it a amicable deal

good luck :D
trader

Postby rovingdave » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:08 am

Hi Trader,

That sounds a plan, but to be honest I'm just going to bin him. He has now proved that he is a lying, cheating sod, and I would find it hard to ever trust him again or believe anything he says.

I'm going to get the HomePro guys to do it. Very little after that to do to the main house, but I'll have to look around again for the flats.

I wouldn't care, I work with loads of Thai guys and have met every flavor you could imagine and have had them try and shaft me many times, but I really did not expect it from this guy. Oh well.

Thanks guys

Dave
rovingdave

Next

Return to material prices & building costs