Cost of build in Sisaket province

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Cost of build in Sisaket province

Postby SwissTony » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:38 am

I'm looking soon at building a 2 storey house, 4 bedrooms, living space = 150m2 per floor.
The builder has quoted 800k for the buiding costs, and my wife will call him soon to discuss.
I know there's not much information here (and no drawings yet) but I have a few questions.

Does the cost seem in the right ballpark?
What do I need to check that it includes? (total novice here)
What would be a rule-of-thumb guestimate for the materials costs?

Thanks for any help.
Tony
SwissTony

Re: Cost of build in Sisaket province

Postby geordie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:49 am

I would guess your builder is on the low side take a look at the gymboy thread he is expecting to pay that for a bungalow ? with 1/4 of that floorspace
Is he quoting labour only ? you supply everything ? if so labour at a third so you are looking at
twice his labour for materials that does not really work out too acurately as it depends on fittings doors and windows even tiles can totally obliterate a budget
Take a look at Rodger Ramjet in pak kret you will get an idea but without some sort of drawing ? a specification? anything you get is a guess how much you input can alter the totals if you negotiate good prices on stuff that is contracted out it can help but you do not want the builder telling you the cess is an extra ! oh you want stairs to the second floor ? thats an extra ! so get a good contract in place before you start look through the gallery and see what you like take a read of the thread and get a good idea of what you want and need do a simple design and post it so you can get comments on the layout personally being an idiot i use graph paper not as ornate but quicker and easier than the computer :roll:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby SwissTony » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks for the reply Geordie, please see the attached plan of the house. Any comments welcome.
I asked the builder to lose the 'tower' feature so the drawing isn't completely up to date.
My brothers-in-law have been discussing the project with him and have come up with an estimate of 2.5 million for the whole thing. If it's to be believed that covers everything right down to a fitted kitchen.
I'm skeptical though, and a bit worried as that's near the top end end of what I can afford.
Is there a proper name in building for the formal breakdown of materials with estimated cost? I'd like to ask the builder for one of those. If anyone can put the name in thai script for me I'd be very grateful.
Attachments
plan.pdf
(222.48 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
SwissTony

Postby otis-a » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:22 am

hi tony
i paid for my build costs 180ktb for a 2 floor with 144 sm per floor. There were smaller fee's:
woodman for 1st floor windows, doors, stairs etc 10k
electr+plumbing 25ktb
car park, pwall, nor lao, not includ in any of above
on a recent 16sm utility building i paid 7k tb labor or about same/sm as the house.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby otis-a » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:30 am

ps ST
wifey relative is build contractor in chaing rai and he put cost for my build @ 2.5mm tb in chaing rai. They would always throw that number up at times i was complaining bout my 1.6mm tb cost. The details of which u may download from the griffith house build. The pwal and car park are not detailed in the pdf. Also i paid painter seperately, as detailed in the pdf.
Do u plan to be on-site for your build?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby pattayapope » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:27 am

Hi Tony the word I think you are looking for Bill of materials (BOM) it should list out all necesssary materials you need to build the house and is generally how a builder is able to quote a house. There seems to be too many gray areas on your build and I seriously doubt you could build it for 2.4 million unless it uses low quality materials, the finshed shell would probably cost more like 3 million + and you would need another million at least to finish it to a western standard.

A couple of personel coments on the house layout, you only have two bathrooms which in my opinion is not enought, the bedroom on the ground floor has ensuite toilet but upstairs the three bedrooms have to share one bathroom. It is always better to make the roof as simple as possible to avoid leaks, with all those additional ad on's I doubt you would be able to keep heavy rain out.

Generally speaking for a house built by a builder (as against self build with labour) it should cost between 10 - 12,000 baht M2 for moderate western standard build quality. Unless you have sufficient reserve funds you might want to scale down the build a little and make it simpler and easier to maintain. Anyway best of luck with you build
pattayapope

Return to material prices & building costs