Building Material Cost Pareto

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Building Material Cost Pareto

Postby thailazer » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:52 pm

Some CTH contributors have posted bar charts on where the costs came from, and I am wondering if other have done this as well. It would be interesting to see where the top material cost contributors come in once you have the land and have labor estimated. So.... Are these the cost factors from highest to lowest? Anyone want to guess on the percentage of contribution?

Roof tile/material and supporting steel.
Cement, sand, and aggregate for structure and floors.
Reinforcing steel for concrete.
Kitchen counters, drawers, fixtures. (This might be move up or down based on design.)
Electrical wire, outlets, consumer units, lights.
Water pumps, septic, water heaters, and plumbing.
Wall bricks/blocks.
Rendering cement of inside/outside walls.
Floor and wall tiles.

I know that the house style and what is selected has a lot to do with how this all breaks down, but I would appreciate your opinion on this.
thailazer

Re: Building Material Cost Pareto

Postby tglarcombe » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:05 am

Gents,

I would appreciate your help also, we've been looking at houses on an estate at Lam Plait Mat, and the asking price is over 2 million baht for a small house on 70 wa of land with only 130 sq mtr of living space.....
My wife owns land at approx 18 meters by 30 meters, so we're considering building a single story house on her land of approx 220 sq meters living space, or maybe a double story (Top floor for me, the bottom for her family)....

I've worked in thailand for 3 years now, my JV partner is the SCG group, so I can get discount of 25% on building materials, as well as 40% from TOA paints....

From reading the forum, my calculations are coming in at a perimeter wall at 1200 per linear meter = 120K Baht. Then labor at 3,000 baht/sq/mt max = 660K baht, and then material costs at 6,500 baht/sq/mt @ 30% discount approx should give me 4,500 baht/sq/mt = 1 million baht.....
So for the whole project, would I be accurate at 1.8 million baht for the house and paremeter wall, along with clearing the land (There's an old Thai wooden house of her mam's on the land currently).......

I would appreciate a parato of material costs breakdown if possible, along with any good guidance the forum could provide to me, including the names of good builders in the Burirum area that I could trust to do a good job...

Many thanks in advance to you all, and a Happy New Year....
tglarcombe

Postby pattayapope » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:41 pm

tglarcombe wrote: names of good builders

That is the big question mark in your price estimate and will be the biggest challange.

If you can be a little more specific on details of what you expect to build and what materials you would plan to use it would be better to give an estimate, but certainly you could build a house in the price range you mention but might no be what you are expecting. Although you can get good discount on building materials there is probably quite a lot of things that you need to get from regular building suppliers so you would be paying normal prices. Not knowing what type or height of wall you are planning it is hard to estimate if the 1200 baht a meter is a good estimate but I think you are a little low on this.

In your estimate if you are including gate, driveway, air con's, curtains, fitted kitche ect. I think you would really struggle unless you are able to manage the money very well and keep a tight reign on your contractor, it is suprizing how quickly the the cost run up with all those little extras you forgot to include and the builder does not consider it to be part of his quote. Just look how some of the building stories have got off track on this and other similar forums
pattayapope

Postby thailazer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:45 am

Three months into the build and thought I would post the Pareto chart of our material costs. This is material bought ourselves and finding the best prices for quality stuff. At this point, we still need to do a final pour on the upstairs floor, first floor pour, rendering inside and out, tile work, roof, and electrical outlet installations to get the basic structure complete. Note on the image..... floor planks are included in the "Brick" category.

It is interesting to note that steel for reinforcement and for the roof is the dominating cost factor. My wife is keeping great records so will post the final outcome when we are done. Should help those trying to decide if they can afford to build if they buy material themselves.

thailazer

Postby sunliner » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:13 pm

hi thailazer,
terrific contents post, sure it will be appreciated by all :D

the roof is always where the largest portion of our budget goes,in labour and material.

if any one is on a tight budget would apply, RUNKERS GOLDEN RULE , which is, KISS .

keep it simple stupid.
sunliner

Postby thailazer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:14 pm

Well our house is done sans kitchen and we have paid the crew the final payment. It was all good and only a few minor problems which were easy to fix. I thought I would post the final break down of how the costs were distributed for those that are interested. Our house was managed by my wife and I and she bought all the material. This allowed us to bring this two story house in for almost exactly one million baht. The labor charge was a bit high as we wanted steel-troweled walls and floors everywhere so that made the labor portion 34 %. With a 180 square meters of space, that breaks down to:

Material: 3666 baht/ sq meter
Labor: 1889 baht/ sq meter
Total: 5556 baht / sq meter

We are very happy with the result and the crew could not have done a better job with concrete consistency and structural work. The finish details were a bit tougher but they followed directions well. Now it is time for landscaping and finishing off the kitchen. The project list is a lot shorter but it still seems endless.

A few comments:

-Lots could have been saved on plumbing as the costs include piping to two wells and a temporary outside shower. Also, we have hot/cold running water in both bathroom sinks and showers.

-Our roof solution was alum/zinc clad steel which is probably the cheapest solution out there. Also the coolest as with the insulation, there is no radiation into the upstairs rooms and studio. The added insulation (formed right to the steel) was more expensive per square meter than the steel material itself!)

-Electrical cost is high also as we have outlets (with grounds) everywhere and several individual circuit RCBO Square D breakers. Those are problematic and not worth the money.

-We added sand wash decks and rain gutter which were not in the original plan and are included in the "Misc" category.

-Managing the material ourselves and buying top quality stuff is key to keeping cost in control and ending up with a good result.

-We were darn lucky to find a crew that did great work and became our friends in the process. I would never have built a house in Thailand had I known the pitfalls which we luckily bypassed completely.

If you have any questions or want more information, fire away.
thailazer

Postby pattayapope » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:19 pm

Some pictures would be nice, your build has come in with what I understand as self build prices just shows how much the builder mark up is[*] :roll:
Well done my complements to you and your team[*] :D
pattayapope

Postby thailazer » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:11 am

Here are some photos of the almost final result. It is a rather basic house made for simple living very similar to many homes featured in Bann Suan Magazine. All surfaces not tiled are steel troweled and sealed with A100 acrylic. Some more stuff:

-Downstairs: Outside eating area, kitchen, bedroom with walk in closet, equipment room and bathroom. Also an outside laundry area.
-Upstairs: Open Yoga studio, large bedroom, bathroom, and shop.
-House was designed to keep the sun off the living area and to have a lot of open area to use even in the rainy season. The open laundry, bathrooms, equipment room, and walk in closet all help to shelter the mid day sun from the rest of the house.
-Outside eating area is where the motorcycle is parked.

We still have a lot of work to do to finish it off but at least we can unpack a few boxes and live there. I figure I have the whole rest of my life to finish it off and make it the way we want it so no need to hurry at this point as we can stay dry and use an indoor toilet!

Here is an earlier photo showing what the upstairs Yoga studio looks like. We probably had the best welder in Thailand do the roof steel.

thailazer

Postby thailazer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:30 am

MGV was asking for some finished house photos on another thread so I thought I would post a few more here. We still have upper kitchen cabinets to hang and photograph lights (being made in Bantawai) to put up. Lots of projects in the coming years but the basic house is up and now quite comfortable to live in. This has been a budget build to support our lifestyle and we are quite happy with the result.

Outside eating area:

Upstairs open studio:

Office/TV Room/Kitchen:

thailazer

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:52 am

thailazer wrote:MGV was asking for some finished house photos on another thread so I thought I would post a few more here.

Thanks for posting those thailazer .... looks really good, some nice views and from your bar chart great VFM.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby thailazer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:14 am

Thanks. I just realized I need to add another factor on the bar chart for kitchen cost as that isn't included yet.

The views are nice here and they change with the seasons cycling from dry soy bean fields to flooded rice fields, and then to dry rice field before repeating again. They just flooded the adjacent terrace and the frogs were deafening last night!
thailazer

Postby Makmak456 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:12 pm

That is my exact plan of build. Not exactly a utilty shed, but very lean
on all the usual frills that I see in so many falang builds.
Great job !
Mark
Makmak456

Return to material prices & building costs