Renovating a small house

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Renovating a small house

Postby Kennethnor » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:17 pm

We bought some land outside Khon Kaen, which had a small, old house on it. The plan is to build a new house in a few years, but for now we want to renovate this house for use on vacations to Khon Kaen, and perhaps use as a guesthouse later.

I have not seen it myself yet, an maybe it is not possible to renovate, but the plan is to get a new roof, a new floor (tiles), and new paint. Maybe also new doors and windows. Anyone have an idea how much this would cost ? I have no information about the house, other than the pictures. I guess it is about 35 square meters. We want to use colorbond roof, maybe together with smartruss ?

Kennethnor

Re: Renovating a small house

Postby geordie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:34 am

I would take a long hard look at the way the place has been built and the potential lifespan of the building before spending masive amounts on a renovation
Has the floor got rebar or bamboo for reinforcing ? have the posts got a concrete base or sat on the dirt ? do the windows need replacing ? will the walls survive the change ? you could give it a new roof with fibre cement corrugated sheets a coat of paint make the electrics safe and put up with it for holidays And rebuild it when you have the main house sorted You may find its ocupying the most comfortable part of the plot you may find you have to add fill dirt because it floods there really are too many guesses to be made if you have not seen the thing first
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Kennethnor » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:52 am

Thanks for the tips. My wife will get a "professional" to look at it before we do anything. If there is not too many surprises, I guess (and hope) we could make it livable for about 100 000 B.
Kennethnor

Postby geordie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:00 pm

Sorry for stomping on the rose coloured glasses but even the profesionals ?? are not what we expect
Any way most important is the roof RR can give you more details building nonthaburi pak kret
or Fred1k building in sattahip, both have used colourbond but i think there is a minimum order ?? an inexpensive option is replace like for like (corugated iron) or swap for corugated fibre cement sheets (different colours available ) they also now have a pressed panel of fake tile effect very lightweight. Hopefully the roof frame will be enough to just bolt a replacement on to it although looking at what they have used its likely to be a timber frame up there as oposed to steel . It would be a good time to look at installing some foil insulation up there if you are replacing it ! a very thin silver coated plastic film is placed under the roof covering

The windows are :o again whats available locally manufactured (usually) and not a great selection / not a huge selection but pvc is becoming more available from big stores so depends where you are

internally you could look at dry lining with plasterboard either by metal framing and installing wool insulation or dot and daub where you use dots of glue to stick the plasterboard to the walls the ceiling could be replaced the same The Thai,s do actually good ceiling work athough you will have trouble persuading them to put plasterboard on the walls Take a look at Max&bee,s building australian style in chaing mai

The electricals i would completely replace they can kill !! but thats where you get value for money from the dry lining it will hide all the wiring
externally they do cement trims to glue as a dado rail around the house or frame the windows with it would give the external apearance a lift but you can also get sandstone to glue on there again as a feature

My earlier point was all of this could make it look great but if its likely to flood or fall over :( :( not good pleas keep posting though it would be nice to see a refurb
geordie

Postby Kennethnor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:13 am

Thanks again. Ill let you know if we decide to continue with this.
Kennethnor

Postby runker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Well, it looks a lot better than the small house we plan to fix up for the same reasons. Our doesn't even have a indoor toilet but at least there is city water and electric. Those type of windows are very common and easy to repair but also makes breaking into the house easy too. Besides why make a guest house too comfortable, you don't want guest staying forever. I would put the same type roof on and maybe create a ridge vent when you install the new roofing to help with keeping the heat out. KISS, keep it simple stupid, that is my motto.
runker

Postby geordie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:52 am

Things are looking so promissing here at the moment with the house sale ! (almost but been here before) if i can find a nice bit of land somewhere I may have to knock one up quickly best not to make too good a job or i will end up in it permanently still it will make a nice place for the mutts to call home sod the guests
geordie

Postby runker » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:30 am

If your toilet is better than this I think you'll have an easy go at your renovation.
Attachments
webtoilet.jpg
runker

Postby geordie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:46 am

Damm good ventilation
geordie

Postby Kennethnor » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:59 am

you lucky bastard, i am happy if i can s**t in a matchbox :)
Kennethnor

Postby elgato » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Kennethnor wrote:you lucky bastard, i am happy if i can s**t in a matchbox :)

You referring to a medical condition? :lol:

Seriously though, more info about the house and some interior pics would be helpful.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Return to material prices & building costs