Paint costs

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Paint costs

Postby Boogie » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:08 am

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could give me an idea of the cost of good quality paint for exterior ( wood and cement) and interior. Am in the process of renovating a house in Chaiyaphum. I am staying out of negotiations but havent got the foggiest idea what paint costs and would like to know to avoid being ripped off !

Thanks
Boogie

Paint - DIY

Postby jazzman » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:52 am

Paint is one of the things that the salepersons in the stores least understand too, and you must remember that a Thai will tell you anything to avoid saying "Sorry, I don't know" and/or, if you are a farang, will only show you the most expensive paint he has in stock. If you are on a tight budget, you MUST insist that he shows you something cheaper (see prices below).

The best, quickest, and easiest solution to avoid being ripped off is simply to go to your nearest hardware store or DIY centre and read what it says on a large 19 litre bucket of paint. ALL the paint buckets in Thailand have the descriptions and instructions in ENGLISH. It will tell you the coverage per litre, how to apply it, and what to use it for.
If you have a pocket calculator, it would help immensely to work out the surface of the walls to be covered (deducting the space for doors and windows). In other words: do it yourself.
Do the painting yourself too if you live anywhere near Pattaya or Jomtien - you WILL get ripped off for the labour there, no exceptions.

As a rough guide, for a 156 sq.m. single storey three bedroom house like Jazzmans, you will need:

1 or 2, 19 litre buckets of PRIMER.
2 or 3, 19 litre buckets of EXTERIOR paint.
2 or 3, 19 litre buckets of INTERIOR paint.

Paint is mixed 15% - 20% with water and can be applied by brush, roller and spray. The quality of your substrate will determine how many coats you need. It is usual to use ONE coat of PRIMER, and a minimum of TWO coats of EXTERIOR paint.

The costs vary from 650 baht per bucket fro Thai paint to 1,500 baht per bucket for imported or locally produced branded paint such as ICI or Dulux.

Moden DIY centres (HomePro, HomeMart etc) will have extensive color charts and computer mixing for custome colours.

Exterior paint of the same brand and same colour will be 200 0r 300 baht more expensive than interior paint. Do not under any circumstances use cheaper interior paint for the outside or anywhere which is subject to high doses of UV light (direct sunlight).

Jazzman used:
Primer at 1,100 per bucket
ICI interior paint at 750 baht
ICI exterior paint at 950 baht

This is a new house and the paint was applied by spray before the ceilings, windows, doors and floor tiles had been installed. Spraying gives the most economical and even finish.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Paint Guide

Postby hkexpat » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:09 am

HKexpat’s paint guide.

Step 1

Work out the surface area to be painted. Remember you will need a primer/undercoat and a top coat. Typical 2 but may be 3 coats of each. Once you know the paint you want to use, check the directions on the can or at the Dulux website.

Step 2

Go to the Dulux website, they have a nifty paint calculator, select the surface to be painted, the paint, enter the area to be painted and hey presto it tells you how much paint is needed.

Step 3

Decide if you want to go up market – Dulux Weathershield, or the like for example, or a local brand and go to the DIY store and purchase.

As of a couple of weeks ago Dulux Weathershield retailed at 1,460 baht/ 9litre at Homepro.
hkexpat

paint costs

Postby jazzman » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:16 pm

I think you will find that the price you quoted is for a 19 (nineteen) litre bucket. Anyway, it was in HomePro, Udon Thani at 5.30pm today.

I am aware that Pattaya prices are disgustingly loaded but a100% mark up is taking the biscuit a bit. I'll buy it up here in Udon for you, give you a 20% discount on the pattaya price, deliver it to your door and still make a handsome profit and include a trip to the beach at the same time. We are 850 Km from the seaside here :(

if the builders have done a good job with the rendering and used the right mix with the right kind of cement and additive, you should only need ONE coat of primer and 2 coats of cover paint. The rendering MUST have cured before you paint it - that takes at least 2 weeks, and it should be brushed with a soft broom to remove any lose sand or dust.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Re: paint costs

Postby hkexpat » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:05 pm

jazzman wrote:I think you will find that the price you quoted is for a 19 (nineteen) litre bucket. Anyway, it was in HomePro, Udon Thani at 5.30pm today.

I am aware that Pattaya prices are disgustingly loaded but a100% mark up is taking the biscuit a bit. I'll buy it up here in Udon for you, give you a 20% discount on the pattaya price, deliver it to your door and still make a handsome profit and include a trip to the beach at the same time. We are 850 Km from the seaside here :(

if the builders have done a good job with the rendering and used the right mix with the right kind of cement and additive, you should only need ONE coat of primer and 2 coats of cover paint. The rendering MUST have cured before you paint it - that takes at least 2 weeks, and it should be brushed with a soft broom to remove any lose sand or dust.

Maybe, i'll check the price again when I am in town again and get back to you. It may be that it is better to buy it up country than in the expat hot spots.
hkexpat

Return to material prices & building costs