Build Cost Only, advise required

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Build Cost Only, advise required

Postby Dublin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:33 am

Hi to all

Right need a little advise I have finally decided to build I have spent the last few months scouring the web for costs of building in Thailand. Firstly I going to build around 40k south of Phetchabun. I’m planning to build a 2 bed single story with living room and kitchen open plan with two bathrooms / showers and outdoor area nothing fancy.
We have approached a few local builders for prices & the guys we approached are shying away from providing a total cost and are pushing towards build only and we purchase the materials, which is taboo or so I have read on many sites. We are getting quotes ranging from 6,000 per Sqm to 7500 per Sqm build only.
So my question is are these guys OTT or is this around the going rate??? and if I do find a guy to price all in what sort of figures I am looking at per Sqm ???

Thanks in advance guys.
Ciaron
Dublin

Re: Build Cost Only, advise required

Postby Sunpax » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:46 am

hello,

Do you mean 6000 to 7500 B for the work only ? or all together with material ?
Sunpax

Postby Dublin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:50 am

Sunpax

Initially I thought all in including materials but as we spoke I soon came to realize its for labor only and I purchase the materials.
Regards
Ciaron
Dublin

Postby Sunpax » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Forget about it..6000 to 7000 b by m2 should be the price all inclusive...but for a low cost house ! (if all inclusive)

8000 to 10000 bahts by m2 will be price for a nice ( western ) house.

At my opinion....for the work only , from structure to windows , tiles.. eletricity ect should not be more than 3500 bahts !!! for the highest !
Sunpax

Postby Dublin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Cheers Sunpax

Maybe a case of lost in translation or maybe not!!!, ill get them to give me a written quote when I get back in a few weeks. Thanks for the information it may prove to be invaluable

Regards

Ciaron
Dublin

Postby geordie » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:15 am

Before you commit you need to consider that prices vary wildle,y from one area to another as do materials the Thais seem to work on a whats it worth basis and will try to inflate prices at the drop of a hat so you will get some wild guestimates you can build for 4000 a square meter and less but you will not really want to always you will decide something will look better and upgrade a single story is an easy build you can use pre cast colums instead of pouring this saves on time amd effort so therfore costs you use the skinny thai cement blocks with render both sides as cheap as you can for the walls and fibre cement roof not beautiful but will keep the rain out and minimal amount of steel required to install it on the other hand you may decide that as the sun will hit the back of the house most of the day put the more expensive blocks there with a cavity and insulation you may decide that rather than cook you will insulate the roof with foil to stop radiant heat plasterboard ceiling insted of grid and tiles really you need to set the standard and then negotiate with the builders but get an idea from the forum on material prices as you can go for supply all or they supply the shell you supply the windows doors toilets ect or a turnkey solution you give them a drawing and they phone you when its ready A gamble over there thats for sure

A bit of homework for you is Max and Bee an australian house
knaj building in khon khaen or otis griffiths house build all with good details and pricing then have a look at the jazzman motel build it does not come much cheaper but you will be able a bit better to decide what quality of finish and how much you want to spend
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Dublin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:05 am

Geordie

Thanks for the homework, i've started with the Khon Kaen build for 800,000 which will be followed by Max & Bee I have already read quite a lot of the Jazzman build and will return to it later.
Is it worth getting an architect design done or is it mandatory ?? I know I have to run the build by the municipality but as the uncle is the head honcho he has said there wont be to much to worry about but still id like it all an above board,
Right back to the homework
:D

ciaron
Dublin

Postby otis-a » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Architect plans
depends on many factors
location requirements: village likely no esp'ly w/u thai uncle : big city likely yes : inbetween is upfor grabs
u builder is experienced @what u r building? Neighbor jan's palace used same builder as a prior build nearby, marked up copy of builders drwgs to his spec & was off n runnin - came out very nice
my build asked simular to others wife's father did b4 with floor plan sketch- while away project creep took over n size growed 50% over my sketch- with detailed plans such is likeely not to happen
have u specific details n features u wish incorp to u build, such as fred? Then yea 4detailed plans
will u b on site daily? If so decreased requirement for detailed plans
have u reviewed detals of builder's prior works ?to extent u can say gimme A with just dash of B
what is u time frame? Asap- consider thai gov't house plans avail online or go withwhat u builder knows if u village not require formal plans
is budget an issue? Plans will assist there to limit project creep n review cost +/-
can u tap a neighbors electric during build? If not then e authority likely need some permit: out here we just get house # after build & then go elect A - who make inspect & meter reccomend, paid deposit set by inspector & few days later were on offical grid w/meter
many factors to consider- safe bet yes; seat of pants-no /provisioned upon prevailing powers/
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby jazzman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:23 pm

You most likely don't need an architect, but you will need a set of shop drawings that can be done by any reasonable draughtsman from your own ideas. The will include the engineering specs. Who to ask? The teacher at the local vocational college or polytechnic, or a clerk from the city hall who does this kind of thing in his spare time. Cost about 5,000 - 7,000 baht.

Normally the labour cost for this house should be about 3,500 /m2 if you hire your own team, or expect to pay up to double at a large, regular contractor. However, a budget build such as you propose should be able to be built for no more than around 9,000 baht/m2 including materials, if you are not having solid gold taps in the bathrooms and imported Indian marble on the floors.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby pattayapope » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:44 am

What kind of M2 do you expect the house to be?

On my build I bought all the UPVC windows and doors, all the tiles and bathroom fittings and fixtures, this way I could control the quality and get what I wanted as the builder would no doubt have "quoted for a cheaper model". I would think your house could be built in 2 to 3 months without any problems provided you have a decent builder. I would recomend to use AAC blocks all external walls 15 cm wide and narrower for internal walls. Whichever way you decide to go make sure every little detail is spelled out clearly and all materials supplied by builder are specified and do not pay him too much money up front, staged payments are the best way top go and make sure there is an incentive to complete the project of at least 10% of total cost.

Best of luck with your build.
pattayapope

Postby Dublin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:06 am

Hey guys

Thanks for all the information I have learned more in the last week from CTH and indeed you guys than I have trolling the web for information for months plus I have a lot to think about. I have read the full blog from Kknaj on the house in Khon Kaen for 800,000 unbelievable the project turned out fantastic even running a little over budget I find it hard to believe its possible but I guess it is.

I’m back home on R&R early July so my partner is lining up a few prospective builders we can talk to, big issue is now to decide the design and see if we can build if for 1,000,000 or less which is our budget and also decide if we will provide materials or go for a turnkey project. The GF is leaning towards we buy the material as she thinks we can make better saving than letting the builder buy we also we get what we want & like.

Total size of our project will be some where between 90 to 110 Sqm we have 4 Rai roadside property so plenty of room, we are growing some corn on the property at present hopefully we be cropped late July we will then build up the land on the build site and driveway. I will post some pics ASAP

Ciaron
Dublin

Postby Dublin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Well its official after buyiing many books and lookiing at many designs the beloved has fallen in love with Knaj house design, of course a few changes to be made with the interior design wall moved here and there and reduce to a 2 bed for extra living space and of course the materials that will be used.
Ill print of a few pics and get a draftsman to draw up a few plans and we will go from there it will be interesting to see if we can bring it in as cost effective as Knaj but here is hoping we can.

Ill keep you all dated on how things are progressing over the next few months and will open a new blog as soon as construction starts
Thanks again for the information thus far I’m sure ill be needing a lot more

Ciaron
Dublin

Postby geordie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:48 pm

ciaron you should be able to make it within or pretty close to you budget if you avoid temptation to upgrade on everything avoid the Gold hinges and door furniture which lose their lustre pretty quickly anyway build for strength and improve the appearance over time when you have had some use out of the place if you are leaving the missus in control you best read Building in khlong lan Treysd3 his GF did a superp job (untill she painted it pink :lol: :lol: )
Important if you are building up the ground make sure the footings go past the fill into solid ground looking forward to you starting

Would you know a town called navan :)
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Dublin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:39 am

Hey Geordie

I thought you were joking about the pink, unbelievable but it turned out all good in the end, nice project by any chance do you know the final cost ???
Like I said I’m back home early July so plan to tour the area looking at builders supply oh quick question are windows made to order same as back west or sold at standard sizes ??
Navan you ask yep I know the place but have not been there in many years why the interest ??
Ciaron
Dublin

Postby Dublin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Guys
Quick question not related to the heading, is it possible to contact people on the site i.e. private message or the like. Id like to ask Kknaj if they had any major concerns with the design so I don’t fall into the same trap if there is any, As I mentioned both the GF and myself have finally agreed on a design which was built by Kknaj.

ciaron
Dublin

Next

Return to material prices & building costs