Carport cost

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Carport cost

Postby thaitechtrader » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Looking to build a carport, approx size 7mx4m with the same concrete grren tiles as the house, will have plasterboard roof and lighting..

What do you think would be a reasonable cost? in Pattaya..

Great forum by the way :D
thaitechtrader

Re: Carport cost

Postby fredlk » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:12 pm

thaitechtrader wrote:Looking to build a carport, approx size 7mx4m with the same concrete grren tiles as the house, will have plasterboard roof and lighting..
What do you think would be a reasonable cost? in Pattaya..

Difficult to say, but if it were mine and I was quoted anything over 100,000 Baht I would most probably look elsewhere.
fredlk

Postby thaitechtrader » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:20 pm

First quote was 90k and i nearly dropped dead :cry:
thaitechtrader

Postby fredlk » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:26 pm

thaitechtrader wrote:First quote was 90k and i nearly dropped dead :cry:

Weak heart .... or just poor?
Only joking, but I know that in Pattaya you are more likely to be overcharged than in Udon Thani for example, but it also comes down to how much you are willing to spend.
If it's too much, hold out for a lower price or ask them to build the structure - for much less of course - and get someone else to do the finishing.
fredlk

Postby thaitechtrader » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:43 pm

fredlk wrote:
thaitechtrader wrote:First quote was 90k and i nearly dropped dead :cry:

Weak heart .... or just poor?
Only joking, but I know that in Pattaya you are more likely to be overcharged than in Udon Thani for example, but it also comes down to how much you are willing to spend.
If it's too much, hold out for a lower price or ask them to build the structure - for much less of course - and get someone else to do the finishing.

LOL...If that's what it's gonna cost then i dont mind paying! The builder is doing quite a bit of other work for me and i don't want him to get carried away :wink:
thaitechtrader

Postby geordie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:05 pm

One thing about the thais they will take a little rather than nothing
Explain that mutch as you would like to use him and happy as you are with his work the price is almost double that someone else gave you off the top of their head and you are thinking of asking them for a quote would he like to review his prices and materials with you to see where he has gone wrong if the breakdown looks fair you can probably still ssqueeze him a bit
but maybe better the devil you know
take a look at what otis has done this week to get an idea but no doubt you are aware that pattaya is milk and honey economy
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:07 pm

Hard to tell without more details of the construction particularily the roof but I would assume your builder would want to make at least 25 to 35 K profit after paying for everything. I seriously doubt you could get a better price by asking a different contractor, if you are able to supervise thai workers you could do it much cheaper.

The majority of the work would be in the roof structure, on my carport I used an insulated steel sheet which is cut to lenght so no problems with water getting underneath and the angle can be quite shallow. But you say you are using tiles so the angle must be at least 30 to 45 deg otherwise the roof will leak when it rains and spoil the ceiling. You obviously want it to to blend in with the main building so don't have many options. I payed 70,000 baht for a steel and Cpac tile gazebo a couple of years ago and reckon the builder made at least 25 K profit but finish was what I expected so no complaints.

Agree things in Pattaya are more expensive than areas with lower expat populations so you have to be carefull and try and get competitive quotes on everything and find out the cost for building materials to judge how much the mark up is.
pattayapope

Postby thaitechtrader » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:32 pm

pattayapope wrote:Hard to tell without more details of the construction particularily the roof but I would assume your builder would want to make at least 25 to 35 K profit after paying for everything. I seriously doubt you could get a better price by asking a different contractor, if you are able to supervise thai workers you could do it much cheaper.

The majority of the work would be in the roof structure, on my carport I used an insulated steel sheet which is cut to lenght so no problems with water getting underneath and the angle can be quite shallow. But you say you are using tiles so the angle must be at least 30 to 45 deg otherwise the roof will leak when it rains and spoil the ceiling. You obviously want it to to blend in with the main building so don't have many options. I payed 70,000 baht for a steel and Cpac tile gazebo a couple of years ago and reckon the builder made at least 25 K profit but finish was what I expected so no complaints.

Agree things in Pattaya are more expensive than areas with lower expat populations so you have to be carefull and try and get competitive quotes on everything and find out the cost for building materials to judge how much the mark up is.

Thanks for the reply Pattayapope..
thaitechtrader

Postby jazzman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:51 pm

You can expect to pay anything up to Baht 112,000 for a job well done by a respectable firm at today's prices. One has to accept that a builder needs to make a profit. That profit falls away if you buy the materials yourself and get a labour-only job done.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby thaitechtrader » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:55 am

jazzman wrote:You can expect to pay anything up to Baht 112,000 for a job well done by a respectable firm at today's prices. One has to accept that a builder needs to make a profit. That profit falls away if you buy the materials yourself and get a labour-only job done.

That's what i have decided to do! 25k labour only..
thaitechtrader

Return to material prices & building costs