Labour percentage of house cost ??

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Labour percentage of house cost ??

Postby Nawty » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Anyone know what this is ?? Someone told me 30%, but sounds high for here anyway.

On my next build i am planning to hire 5 full times guys and use some part time labourers on call as required.

I am also planning to build over a long period and use the extended time frame to my advantage to get things perfect, rather than rush, this includes ideas and changes and adaptation as it goes along.

So instead of hiring 15 people and finishing in 6 months, i am happy to take the extra time and go steady steady....but not slowly slowly.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Re: Labour percentage of house cost ??

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:12 pm

Nawty Max has a fairly close one on his excel spread sheet you would have to add his labour in to fix that.

download/file.php?id=7571
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby dozer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Also I might point out that labor would be a lower percentage if you are hiring an paying labor daily (as opposed to a fix price bid paid by milestone) .... assuming the daily labor is reasonable. As I have heard this 30% figure it normally applies to a fixed price bid.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby fredlk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:07 am

Nawty wrote:Anyone know what this is ?? Someone told me 30%, but sounds high for here anyway.

A similar discussion can be found in the topic Estimation cost from http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2338&start=45#p21825 onwards.
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Nawty

Have you come up with a cost per M2 for materials, all things being equal it should cost about 6 to 8 K m2 including labour so you should be able to estimate the labour costs from that. Without a competant foreman you will have some major headaches along the way, worth paying him a decent salary, my builders foreman was on 650 baht\day and basicly ran the job with the builder spending very little time on site and making a handsome profit.

Best of luck with the build and hope to see a start soon and pictures.
pattayapope

Postby Nawty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:43 am

PP...not starting for quite some time yet....but always thinking and looking for stuff, new ideas and such.

One of the reasons i am employing my own team is to take the slow approach and change things as we go along...I like that, new ideas will pop up and I don't like to be rushed at the last minute for a decision on something then regret it.

Need to build the shed first, to store all the wood, then go wood shopping.

I found some massive beams i want, but think they are gone by now.

I have not put a cost together yet as I know that will be a big task and when things are changing a little, can wait a bit. But estimating about 5 million for around 400sqm and associated ponds and guesthouses etc another 1 mil perhaps.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby jazzman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Golly, wasn't this one of our most hotly debated topics at one time? Has the labour/materials ratio changed dramatically since then? A quick scan through the topics will find all those very valuable (in more sense than one) posts; One can always start here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1316

Be warned however, that this is a very dangerous rule of thumb. Simply because the materials cost depends hugely on what materials you choose.

The labour will remain the same whatever the team is installing;

Cheapo floor tiles bought at the roadside for 140 baht per m2, or top quality Granito® for 850 baht per m2;
Budget price bogs from GlobalHouse for 999 baht, or luxury loos from HomePro for 18,000 baht.
Top of the range roof tiles for 65 baht each, or nice CPAC Monier® 'Terazzo' two-tone for only 13 baht, or Nava® for only 9 baht each.
Whether you build with breeze-block or Superblock® will also have an impact on the price.
Your choice of light fittings - you can get recessed downlights for only 29 baht each, or you can pay 300 baht, no one will be any the wiser once they are installed.
Paint can be bought from as little as 650 baht and as much as 3,500 baht per 19.5 liter bucket.
80 x 200 standard wooden interior doors start at only 2,500 each, but you can also pay 15,000 for one in hardwood with an inlaid veneer motif.
You can pay 180 baht for a complete doorknob/lock set, or you can buy fancy handles for 1,500 baht each.
A glazed floor to ceiling 4m wide sliding door (French windows) can cost from 12,000 to 22,000 baht depending on the grade of aluminium and the kind of glass.

These are just a few examples, but consider them carefully before applying any rule-of-thumb algebra, or being bushwhacked by a builder's budget for a turn-key solution - be absolutely sure what you are getting for your money.

Bottom line: whatever your house is going to be, depending on the complexity of the roof (one of the most labour intensive factors because of the steel, the welding, the ridges and valleys), a directly hired local labour team can be had for as little as 2,000 to 3,000 baht per m2. A contractor will want double that, but contractors will rarely consider a 'labour only' job - they make too much profit on the materials to give up the procurement side of the exercise.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to material prices & building costs