Inflation in Building Costs

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Inflation in Building Costs

Postby Itchy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:20 pm

I just found this tabulation of building costs/M2 (compiled by the Valuers Association of Thailand).

Now we might dispute the figures on the basis of these are Thai Style Buildings and building methods but if we assume that the valuation method for each year is the same then it would seem that there is a current inflation rate in building costs that runs around 12% peranum (2003 to 2004) prices.

Bad news for people like me who haven't started their build yet.
Attachments
Build Costs.pdf
(47.97 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
Itchy

building costs

Postby dozer » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:59 pm

What I have noticed is that labor is more or less static, although it is hard to find day laborers here in Pattaya. As far as building materials, metals make up a large percentage of the budget and fluctuate widely. Metal prices are influenced by demand in China, etc. However, other materials such as tile and cement seem to have very stable prices. It makes sense with cement for example, since it is produced here.

I did notice that metal had come down a bit this year but don't know where it is right now.

My thinking is that prices shouldn't be appreciating at a steady pace but should fluctuate up and down a bit with a slight tendancy up - IF - metal prices stay about the same.
dozer
Site Admin

Re: building costs

Postby Attila » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:19 pm

dozer wrote:... However, other materials such as tile and cement seem to have very stable prices. It makes sense with cement for example, since it is produced here...

A bag of the Tiger brand cement I'm buying here for 110 baht, at least in the last 2 months no change.

A cinderblock (the regular one) I'm buying here for 3.80 baht, also here there seems to be no change in the last 2 months.

The 60 * 20 * 20 QCON Block I still buy for 360 baht per square meter (=8.33 blocks), also here no change in the last 2 months. (For whatever reason the resellers seem to have to pay more to QCON than I do though...)

I hear that the prices for the CPAC cement trucks did go up though. They say it is because of the more expensive water in Pattaya :(
Attila

Return to material prices & building costs