cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby maggy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:58 am

I imagine that the most expensive places to live and buy houses/condos or land in thailand is bkk, phuket or other popular tourist resorts like hua hin...

Is it true that the north eastern parts (isaan) and further to the north generally is cheaper when it comes to cost of living, buying property and so on ?
maggy
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby fredlk » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:51 am

maggy wrote:Is it true that the north eastern parts (isaan) and further to the north generally is cheaper when it comes to cost of living, buying property and so on ?

I don't think so. I think that the prices are similar everywhere with maybe a 10% difference on certain things which is negligible.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby 147SAG » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:18 am

Land maybe a little cheaper then BKK but building costs can be more the farther you live from Undon Thani or Ubon,we are in between both and It is 5000 baht per truck load delivery charge and closer cities are around 1000 baht and prices in the village are higher and you can't get what you need either in the village only for a Thai house.Labour can be cheaper between 200-300 baht per worker is the going rate here.I buy the material and they supply the labour.I paid $350,000 baht for 3 rai a few years back and now they want 500,000 baht for property beside us for 2.5 rai.It is cheaper then the main cities like BKK or Phuket or Pattaya but not by too much.Even when driving yourself to the different areas it cost a lot for the gas and hotel cost each trip,but then it is nice to get away from the construction for a day or two.
147SAG
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:54 am
Location: Na Kae,Nakhon Phanom.Thailand

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby dozer » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:05 am

It is cheaper then the main cities like BKK or Phuket or Pattaya but not by too much.

What I have seen is that there is a significant and extreme price differential between tourist areas and up country land prices. Well irrigated farm land fetches about 20,000 - 30,000 per rai in my wifes village (with access to electric). Around Pattaya within about 8km of the city it is difficult to find land for under 1m per rai.
dozer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:21 pm

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby fredlk » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:12 am

dozer wrote:What I have seen is that there is a significant and extreme price differential between tourist areas and up country land prices.

Land is indeed another issue entirely, but I did find land near the tourist areas for under 1,000 Baht a Talang Wah (400,000 Baht per Rai).
You have to look very hard though.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:40 am

Looking for land in the province of Chiang Mai and find prices very tremendously with properties next to each other.

You can get good pricing by not showing your face unless your Thai. Let your partner do the inquiring.

Foreclosed land is available at local banks normally at fair prices.

It is just a matter of due diligence and through searching.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby jazzman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:57 pm

147SAG wrote: It is 5000 baht per truck load delivery charge and closer cities are around 1000 baht and prices in the village are higher and you can't get what you need either in the village only for a Thai house.

I beg to differ. I live in a fairly remote area in a cul-de-sac village in Isaan where every medium sized town is a radius of around 70 - 80 km away. All bulk building materials (sand, aggregate, standard bricks, steel, tiles, and cement) are generally available locally even in the remotest areas; if it is a tiny bit more expensive in the village, it's still cheaper than fetching it for 5,000 baht per truckload from the city. Even CPAC (ready mixed concrete) will be delivered up to 40 km without a surcharge.

Baht 5,000 is a typical delivery fee charged by Global House, Home Markt or Home Pro for going 100 km. The kinhd of thing one needs from those shops, one can easily fetch in one's own pickup truck. Do beqr in mind that there are also a lot of stand alone stores that are just as big and well stocked as the big chains - and occasionally (nice surprise) cheaper!
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman
 
Posts: 2161
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:11 pm
Location: Thailand

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby 147SAG » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:37 am

jazzman wrote:
147SAG wrote: It is 5000 baht per truck load delivery charge and closer cities are around 1000 baht and prices in the village are higher and you can't get what you need either in the village only for a Thai house.

I beg to differ. I live in a fairly remote area in a cul-de-sac village in Isaan where every medium sized town is a radius of around 70 - 80 km away. All bulk building materials (sand, aggregate, standard bricks, steel, tiles, and cement) are generally available locally even in the remotest areas; if it is a tiny bit more expensive in the village, it's still cheaper than fetching it for 5,000 baht per truckload from the city. Even CPAC (ready mixed concrete) will be delivered up to 40 km without a surcharge.

Baht 5,000 is a typical delivery fee charged by Global House, Home Markt or Home Pro for going 100 km. The kinhd of thing one needs from those shops, one can easily fetch in one's own pickup truck. Do beqr in mind that there are also a lot of stand alone stores that are just as big and well stocked as the big chains - and occasionally (nice surprise) cheaper!


Yes some things are available in all areas but we used Cpac blocks and there motar which was bought from homemart this was not in village or the steel beams for the roof 22-23 at homemart, in the village the biggest size was 17 and I DIDN'T want to change size since that is what the blue prints called for.If you are lucky enough to have a pickup truck then maybe somethings can be picked up yourself,and maybe someday I will have one to.Also we started using blue pipe from homemart,guess what it is a different type in the villiage very thin walled and not the same size,the same was found with the yellow pipe for electrical so if your area has this you are very lucky as well or if you started using all the things in the village right off then it is ok to,but I diidn't know and better at the time.Yes nomal concrete is in the village and free delivery as well,we used lots.wood was also bought in the village and free delivery as well.Sand and stone in the village and free delivery as well.But at 5 baht per km from Global house or Dohome it is 5000baht but we filled the truck up and I will again when it is time to buy furniture and appliances which is soon I hope.Homart was only 1000baht delivery and for the large loads they delivered and unloaded but for the smaller loads we just when to the bus stop and highered a truck there for 400baht delivered but then I have to unload it.We also got good roof tiles from homemart not available in village.The blocks took 2 flat bed trucks to deliver and one for the roof tiles,even if I had a pickup truck like you how many loads would it take to deliver.
147SAG
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:54 am
Location: Na Kae,Nakhon Phanom.Thailand

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby fredlk » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:54 am

All valid points.
147SAG wrote:... even if I had a pickup truck like you how many loads would it take to deliver.

I wonder how many of us non-professionals building our own houses own a pickup. Not many I am sure.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby jazzman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:01 am

Almost every farang I know who lives outside one of the traditional farang 'hot spots' drives a pickup. Any one who can afford a much more expensive car isn't concerned with the cost of deliveries - a paltry 5,000 baht here and there.

GlobalHouse has stores in Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Roi Et, and Udon Thani, if you tell me which one you have been buying at, and the name of your nearest Amphur district town, I will gladly demonstrate that there is a supplier closer to your home at reasonable prices. The price of steel at Global is not that much cheaper that you will save much by paying 5,000 baht for a 100 Km delivery. In fact I wouldn't touch Global for their steel prices - I get mine from a small town called Na Klang, and they deliver a job lot for a house free up to 100 Km. Every single local hardware store in the tiniest of villages stocks standard 1/2" 8.5 blue pipe, T-peices, and elbows. If you can't get yellow pipe for electrical conduit you can use it too. If you have a CPAC Monier roof tile catalogue, every village hardware store displaying any roof tiles can order it for you, and the delivery will be free.

At the end of the day, materials costs on a standard 3 - 4 bedroom house do not really differ all that much across the country and from outlet to outlet that it would make much of an impact on the overall budget, especially if it includes the purchase of land.

The cheapest places to live are remote places of course, where the land can be got for. as little as Baht 10,000 per rai. You can then buy a big enough garden to grow your own food, rear your own ducks, geese, chickens and pigs, and grow your own rice, vegetables, and fruit. However - and it's a big however - sooner or later you're going to want to go to a BigC, TescoLotus, or Carrefour, and do some real shopping. And when you do, you'll need a pickup or at least a large car, and the fuel cost there and back could be as much as Baht 600.

The next topic will be 'What's the cheapest car to buy and maintain in thailand ?' :wink:
The answer to that is simple; a Suzuki Carribean pickup, second hand (because they stopped producing them last year) in good condition. It's also 4WD, ideal for getting to that remote land, over rice fields, and through floods. Dowens of budget minded farangs in Thailand swear by them.

The bottom line is, getting back on topic:
- Any rural area in Thailand more than about 50 km from a large town or small city. Research the area and weigh up all the pros and cons before deciding.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman
 
Posts: 2161
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:11 pm
Location: Thailand

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby mike-sydney » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:42 am

hi jazzman,

we are looking at building a home next decmeber (hopefully), and it would be helpful to know if you know of any suppliers and hardware stores around phanomdongrak in Surin??

also, u mentioned cheap pick up trucks,...........it would be interesting to know how much CTH memebers have paid for their utes (as we call them in Aus) and what make they'd recommend. i would like to get an idea of what people are paying for either new or used utes. i would definatley like to own one during the build. apologies if im a bit of topic.
mike-sydney
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:43 am

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby fredlk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:38 am

mike-sydney wrote:also, u mentioned cheap pick up trucks,...........it would be interesting to know how much CTH memebers have paid for their utes (as we call them in Aus) and what make they'd recommend. i would like to get an idea of what people are paying for either new or used utes. i would definatley like to own one during the build. apologies if im a bit of topic.

New topic started at http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2085.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:51 am

Some good points jazzman.

Also think your life would be a lot happier dealing with local lumber/building yards as Thais know when a new place goes up and doing business with them can only help your standing in the community. That is something most farang wouldn’t think about.

If you want to be accepted in the village best to buy at least something there. Even here in BKK that holds true just not to the same extent.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby sezze » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:21 am

BKKBILL wrote:Some good points jazzman.

Also think your life would be a lot happier dealing with local lumber/building yards as Thais know when a new place goes up and doing business with them can only help your standing in the community. That is something most farang wouldn’t think about.

If you want to be accepted in the village best to buy at least something there. Even here in BKK that holds true just not to the same extent.


Many times the local shops are also cheaper then the large brand ( homemart/homepro etc ) superstores . The large stores are handy because they have everything or close to it , while your local dealer only got standard Thai building stuff . If you look you will see that the local store is for the standard items in most cases cheaper or the same price . On getting more accepted ... well it depends on how close the shop is to where you are building , i guess . If it is bang in your village , it will certainly help , but if it is 5 or 10km away it won't do anything .
sezze
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: cheapest place to live and build a house in thailand `?

Postby otis-a » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:42 pm

Buying local;
wifes father reputed to be savy buyer /as attested by my build costs and his family for prior builds/. His opinion is too much running costs money and time /not that the 2 r all that different/ plus there is likely to be a delivery fee. For me it was about 10% from bkk or 8k tb. I let that be a lesson. Thoeng has 2 or more shops and on big ticket purchase the i do 2 or 3 prices before ordering.

I recall one contractor wanted to beat me out of $20 soi says Burl, i bill my tool time at 75$/hr and ever at that rate you are being penny wise and pound foolish to spend another 30 to 60 min's running around to beat me out of $20 so knock yourself out since the loss of that sale not change my lifestyle.

My 2 cents
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
User avatar
otis-a
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:26 am
Location: thai/usa


Return to material prices & building costs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest