General Rules of Thumb for Expensing Planning

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

General Rules of Thumb for Expensing Planning

Postby bushwacker » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:24 am

Gentlemen, I have been reading this website now for about a year and it is fantastic .... because of all your detailed input and willingness to share. I hope to build in the near future but find the entire task a little overwhelming. What would help me is a thread that talks about the obvious and not so obvious decisions and ideas that go into planning and building a home from a budget perspective. This thread would hopefully provide general rules of thumb with a little bit of explanation and maybe cost data. Maybe a few examples might help ....

1. When designing a house try to have all of the plumbing isolated to one part of the house. Because .... Typical cost savings would be .....

2. Best to have electrical wires exposed inside the house because .... Typical cost savings would be .....

3. Best way to design walls based on the path of the sun. Sun bearing walls should be double walled with .... and non-sun bearing walls should be single because .... Typical cost savings would be ....

4. Is it cheaper to build say a 300 sq. meter one story house or a 300 sq. meter two story house? Why? Expected cost savings?

These are only examples and I am sure many members would have great input based on their specific experience.

Submitted respectfully for your consideration.

cheers
bushwacker
bushwacker

Re: General Rules of Thumb for Expensing Planning

Postby fredlk » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:40 am

Hi,
All the points you mention are valid and let me explain my take on the subject.
bushwacker wrote:1. When designing a house try to have all of the plumbing isolated to one part of the house. Because .... Typical cost savings would be .....

In Europe this is definitely a huge cost-saver, but in Thailand it adds a tiny (negligible?) amount to the overall cost. That is why I didn't even bother with this point.
bushwacker wrote:3. Best way to design walls based on the path of the sun. Sun bearing walls should be double walled with .... and non-sun bearing walls should be single because ....

For me that is a fact when building in Thailand and most of my information on what not to do came from other topics on this site.
Fred.
fredlk

Re: General Rules of Thumb for Expensing Planning

Postby dozer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:15 pm

Is it cheaper to build say a 300 sq. meter one story house or a 300 sq. meter two story house? Why? Expected cost savings?
build cost one story vs two
dozer
Site Admin

Return to material prices & building costs