half of 5000 is 4000 (little rant)

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

half of 5000 is 4000 (little rant)

Postby Attila » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:32 am

Well, I got the JCB from the MP station in Treppasit road some weeks ago to dig the trench for my underground cable. about 2-3 hours of work. Too bad, I didn't rent it per hour, but for a day, for 5000 baht.

Now the trench needs to get closed again, the sand which had been taken out just pushed back in again. Maybe 1 hour for the JCB. Maximum 2 hours. Now they told my wife that it can get rented only per day. 5000 baht. :shock: Then I called, and explained again that it is just 1 or 2 hours of work, and I don't want to pay one day again if I need 1 hour only.

OK OK, he said, he is giving me the half day rate. Fine, i said, so it is 2500. No no, the half day rate is 4000 baht :shock: :x It would be such a long way to go there (6.5 km), and the driver would have no work after he finishes.

I said no way, not 4000 baht for 1 hour. He said that's the half day price. I said, mai ao (= "i don't take it then")

Someone needs some exercise? I bring some shovels :wink: and coke
Attila

kee niow

Postby RobinT » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:14 pm

:(

I dont think you are being very fair there Mein Atilla

you see the guys has got fixed mobilisation costs, driving to and from site and a days pay for the driver. the only reduction justified is the fuel and running costs for half a day

Most machinery goes on a day rate

be nice :lol:
RobinT

Re: kee niow

Postby Attila » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:48 am

RobinT wrote::(

I dont think you are being very fair there Mein Atilla

you see the guys has got fixed mobilisation costs, driving to and from site and a days pay for the driver. the only reduction justified is the fuel and running costs for half a day

Most machinery goes on a day rate

be nice :lol:

Well, he has to pay the driver anyway. And the site is not very far. And often one or even 2 of his JCBs are standing around, nothing to do. So, if you include the time to drive there, it is 2-3 hours versus 9 hours for a full day. I do not think that to drive there is a major cost factor, then the distance would influence the price. But a day is 5000 no matter if it is next door, or 10 km. I do not think that for 2-3 hours of work (again, including driving there and back) the costs are 80 % of the costs of running the machine for 9 hours.
Attila

Postby runker » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:39 am

However, if you hire him out for a half day, you have just taken away any chance of that equipment being hired out for a full day on that day as well. Ask around and see if any of your neighbors need the use of this equipment too and then split the cost of a full day.
runker

Postby Attila » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:51 pm

runker wrote:However, if you hire him out for a half day, you have just taken away any chance of that equipment being hired out for a full day on that day as well.

I see your point. That's why i offered that they could come anytime, also 3 pm or so, so they know they will not have another full day job that same day.

runker wrote:Ask around and see if any of your neighbors need the use of this equipment too and then split the cost of a full day.

That's what is happening. Not too many volunteers applied for shoveling anyway :wink:

We are trying to get the road guy to come earlier and do the first part of the road preparation.

Dozer, you finished digging around at your round there?
Attila

JCB diggers

Postby dozer » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:30 am

Yes, done for the time being. The JCB guys are not too negotiable, I think it is that way with everyone. Our guy charged my 800 baht for one hour overtime which surprised my, I figured he would throw it in.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Attila » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:56 pm

Attila wrote:
runker wrote:Ask around and see if any of your neighbors need the use of this equipment too and then split the cost of a full day.

That's what is happening. Not too many volunteers applied for shoveling anyway :wink:

We are trying to get the road guy to come earlier and do the first part of the road preparation.

Problem solved :) :D
Attachments
trench.600.jpg
4000 baht to close this trench?
trench.600.jpg (220.71 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
newroad2.600.jpg
once upon a time, there was a trench here...
newroad2.600.jpg (178.64 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
Attila

Return to material prices & building costs