Is it actually cheaper to build a house vs buy a house in T?

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Is it actually cheaper to build a house vs buy a house in T?

Postby promsan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:58 pm

"Is it actually cheaper to build a house vs buy a house in T-Land?"

From my general perusings, it seems to cost about 5 million Baht to get a nice 3-bed semi in the Eastern Seaboard area; probably valued at half what it might be worth if it were in Britain (in my part of the country).

Then you've got that old rule of thumb of make an initial budget to present to your builder, but double it in private.

Alright, you might be able to get the house designed to reflect your tastes and needs precisely, but is it actually any cheaper to build in reality? Or is it about the same?

"Discuss!" :mrgreen:
promsan

Re: Is it actually cheaper to build a house vs buy a house in T?

Postby dozer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:02 am

It depends on a number of factors. During the peak days it was always much cheaper to build your own house rather than buy a second hand house, however nowadays there are many more 'distress' sales on 2nd hand homes. You can definitely find them for less that the cost of new construction, at least in the Pattaya area of which I am familiar. Included in the second hand home would be the cost of any renovation needed.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Rick B » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Excluding what Dozer refers to as a "distress" sale of homes, I believe it is definitely cheaper to build than to buy a house in Thailand. This is especially true if you buy all of the materials yourself and only contract the labor portion. With such an approach you avoid all markups by the builder on the material and, perhaps more importantly, you are assured of whatever quality you want. There is no corner cutting on materials, unless you decide to do so yourself. The OP mentions a "nice 3 br semi" for about 5 million baht. How much of the 5 million is for the house and how much is for the land? In some areas of Thailand, the land can cost more than the house. I built a 410 sq. meter 2-storey house (7 br, 5 bath with 2 car garage) for under 4 million (house only, not including land). I doubt I would find a house similar to mine already built for anything less than 7 million, not including the land. This is based on what I've seen in the numerous housing developments in the suburbs surounding Bangkok. And there is no telling how well those houses have been built. Lastly, as the OP states, when you build yourself, you get everything in the house you want. In the house I built, I have a walk-in clothes closet in the mater bedroom. I've never seen such an approach in a typical Thai house built by a developer. Another feature I like about building myself is that every counter or sink in my home is at a height that I'm confortable with, whereas the counters and sinks in the houses I've seen for sale are all too short. So, I am strongly convinced that you can save a lot by building yourself and have a house that you are sure of the quality throughout and one that meets all of your personal desires.
Rick B

Postby thaifly » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Rick B wrote: So, I am strongly convinced that you can save a lot by building yourself and have a house that you are sure of the quality throughout and one that meets all of your personal desires.

its a gidday to all...its the thai fly from mae rim...fresh back from being on the receiving end of a few red cards from DOZER.. the astute RICK B posting ..says it all for the thai fly..in my case we have had the good fortune to have double our outlay..in a period of four years..land included mind you... enough said... ITS OH NO NOT ANOTHER RED CARD DOZER GIDDAY TO ALL....ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby promsan » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:31 am

Hi Rick B, my browsing of classifieds has revealed a lot of broadly similar houses for 3-6 million that do (purport to) include the land as well as the bricks and mortar; and importantly, a Chanot Ti Din.

This post isn't meant to be just about me, but, I suppose I may as well float some info about my own personal angle.
My Siamese missus regards these pre-built houses as foreigner-centric (e.g.: she's not really into the euramerican kitchen concept), and with associated pros and cons (e.g.: I like euramerican toilets & wetroom showers thanks!); and I think they're a bit overpriced for what they are usually (not that I'm an expert on such things - just a feeling).
So I think a self-build is on the cards... but of the rural self-sufficient renewable energy off grid farmhouse variety, somewhere between a vertical line from Prachinbury and Rayong, and the Cambodian border (i.e. south of the Isaan plateau), creepy crawlies and such notwithstanding, so as to be within reach of places my missus could work for a transnational company (i.e. within driving reach of industrial zones like Amata City and Kabinbury); and the children could get to an international school maybe.

Seems to me that outside BK, the main "Farang Areas" include:
Chiang Mai (and surrounds)
Phuket
Hua Hin (and surrounds)
Pattaya-Jomtien-Chonbury area

They're not my personal target areas, but I suppose being outside of BK, there would be some parity in affordability; but also with their own local factors to consider.

I worry about the self-build route being a real minefield of stress and complications, paperwork, and additional costs (I'll avoid a digression into mortgages and suchlike)... it's bad enough in my own country with cowboy builders!
Like many Brits, I'm developing paperwork-a-phobia, and in many ways it could be simpler just to rent somewhere for 20,000 a month, and just bob back on shore leave as a tourist; but then, if you were dragging out a build, you'd have to rent anyway probably... there must be so many hidden costs beyond the actual build itself.
promsan

Postby jazzman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:50 pm

If you are outside any of the main centres of farang settlement such as Pattaya, BKK, Samui, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, etc,the only second hand houses of interest will probably be the ones on newish housing estates such as the ones that are springing up all round Udon, but remember that these houses are generally badly designed, badly finished, and over expensive. In Udon on the ring road for example, it is still much cheaper to buy a plot of land and build your own.
jazzman

Postby otis-a » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:25 pm

perhaps this will help http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

i think the land cost are in accurate, as i recall shelling our abt $5,000.00 over 2 month from my pocket change account. This was a stiff bill as it was $6000/mo and bahrain living was $4,000/mo so really did serious belt tightening and grabbed $1000 off credit card. Any way IT ALL came thru and after 12+ years with Arabian American Oil Co. ere i is 4now.

Any info on finish out costs most welcome.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby otis-a » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:10 am

In Chang Khum-Phyao, nearby big city to my build, a developer posted TB800,000.00 for some box type western style builds. No inspection made, but better price than what I spent. Not sure it is apples v apples, small land plots, not next to wifes family?? looked smaller living area than my build, no view except neighbor windows, but walking dist to Lotus, in bigger village vs my 1/2 water buffallo village, more noise etc.. etc each circumstance different. ie in rural usa can get same what i have minus thai wife & baby. There are tonnes of low cost homes in rural farming community of usa as there are no jobs there & people left for big city, this true of all farming areas of usa. UP TO U, WHAT U WANT? my opinion.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby dozer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Cleaned up the thread a bit and removed some reported off topic posts which had nothing to do with the stated topic. Remember, if you have questions that don't relate to the original topic, feel free to start a new topic as it then keeps the information more concise.
dozer
Site Admin

Return to material prices & building costs