Barebones cost for this building?

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Barebones cost for this building?

Postby hopper » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:02 am

Hi all

here is a diagram of the building I'm looking to have built.
Very basic structure with a gable roof. It's an office/staff building so I'm not looking to build top quality however I do want it be a decent standard.

Its 26M x 4M and starting from the right the 3 rooms are staff rooms, toilets, office1, office2,kitchen/toilet and staff room.

I want to purchase all materials myself and just pay for labour and be on site everyday making sure they are doing things the way I want. Have been quoted 120,000B for all labour building/electrics/plumbing and also including the piles and driving them into the ground. All other materials starting from the footings upwards I'd have to pay separately for. I thought it was a bit expensive, however would like others opinions.

Regarding materials, I've calculated the following rough amounts for the basic structure, walls,floors, roof. All fitments i.e. doors, tiles, windows, bath fittings etc I'm not too worried about yet.

Prices used below are the cheapest I been able to find locally:

Cement blocks: 4000 x 4B=16,000B

Rebar based on a 10cmx10cm lattice with 4 hun lengths and 3 hun cross supports spaced 10cm apart
Rebar 4 Hun: 1050M x 16B=16,800B
Rebar 3 Hun: 4000M x 9.5B=38,000B

Concrete 22m3=22,000B (Hand mixed and based on 20cmx20cm pillars/ground beams, 1mx1mx10cm footer slab and 10cm floor and rough estimate of 1000B per m3 for hand mix )

Tiles (120cm x 60cm tile)
156m2 x 2.2/m2 = 343 tiles x 57=19,600B (rough price of 57B/ tile )

Total so far 112,400 B

Not including the following which I still need to read up on

(1)C section Steel: not sure how to work this out yet
(2)Wood for forms (will be using blocks for forms for ground beams and pillars below ground)
(3)Mortar and Rendering

just realised I completely forgot about the rebar for the concrete floors, I'll try to work this out later.

Does this seem reasonable? any comments /opinions/advice greatly appreciated. Cheers
Attachments
office-2sm.jpg
hopper

Re: Barebones cost for this building?

Postby geordie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:26 am

I am not going to comment on costs but take a look at the jazman motel in the gallery he gives some cost there which you will be hard pushed to match however you will get to look at a similar build less the piles you may pick up a few pointers i love the little dormers above the doors which stop it looking bland do not forget thing like doors electrics plumbing cess painting windows all add up
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Rick B » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:28 pm

Hopper, in my opinion, the labor price is pretty reasonable. I paid 1,530 baht/sq. m for a 2-storey apartment building and 2-storey buildings are generally more expensive. A friend of mine just built a single storey 5-room apartment for 980 baht/sq. m. So, if your builder has thrown in the piles also, his price of 120,000 is pretty reasonable. As far as the material prices you estimated, I think they are pretty reasonable also for the area in which you are going to build. You should note that the standard roof tile is 120cm x 50cm, not 60cm wide. Also, when you account for tile overlaps, you end up with an effective tile size of 100cm x 45 cm. So take that into consideration with you calculation of how many tiles. I just bought 120 x 50 roof tiles and paid 57 baht, so you price estimate is right on. Regarding rebar to use in the floor, I would think that wire mesh would be sufficient. I just bought wire mesh to use in the concrete area in front of my apartment at 300 baht for a 3m x 5m piece. But, since steel prices seem to be on the decline now, at the time of purchase you may be able to find wire mesh cheaper. Good luck with the rest of your estimate.
Rick B

Postby jazzman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:25 am

Check out he materials costs forum here:
viewforum.php?f=16

It was updated yesterday with prices for rebar, steel, and the uses of steel for different jobs.

Piles: This is a lightweight construction, unless the ground is extremely soft, or sand, it is unlikely you would need piles.

Colums: You can save a lot of money on a construction like this is you purchase prefabricated colums for around 300 baht each.
See a very detailed documentation complete with construction methods and all materials prices of a very similar building here:
http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... p?album=76

Roof panels: 120 x 50, Lowest price 46 baht each. No asbestos. Ridge tiles 50 baht each. Self-tapping screws with rubber seals 3 baht each.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby hopper » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi Jazzman

thanks for your reply, I've seen the pics for your motel project but couldn't find any prefab concrete columns longer than 2.5m and would like a ceiling height of about 2.8m

Will be using piles as the land has just been filled and compacted 2m, so there may be some settlement in the near future.

I do have a question though, I see you used the W-section horizontal battens for your house , which although are quicker and more convenient to install the tiles, they are more expensive, did you use these are you would save on labour costs of installing the roof . As i am paying a fixed cost for labour it seems using the 1"x1" steel which is tied down (2 man operation ) would be cheaper
hopper

Postby hopper » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:13 pm

forgot to ask jazzman , what brand of tiles are you using for the motel? cheers
hopper

Postby jazzman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi Hopper,

Prefab concrete columns can easily be made to order at any length and cost about 100 baht per metre. They use steel formwork to cast them and can slide the endpiece to any length. What you have seen are probably retailers' stock and not at a manufacturer's yard. The saving is immense; in fact it is even far, far less than the cost of the formwork alone for casting columns in situ. That said, you should easily be able to buy 3 m posts anywhere. You can install the ceiling and the soffit at any height you like within the 3 m. The ceiligs in my house a re 2.60.

I used the 'W' battens on the house for the concrete tiles as an experiment here as I have been used to using this method in Europe. I wanted to see if there would be any possible labour saving. The conclusion was that it worked out about the same as using welded 1 x 1 battens and tying the tiles down. Rural Thai workmen are more comfortable working with 1 x 1 battens and wire. I won't bother with the 'W' battens again.

The composite panels on the roof of the motel are screwed down to the 1 x 1 with 3" self-tapping screws which are sold for this purpose.
I don't know what brand they are; they are from my local village store's stocK; I'm assured they don't contain any asbestos.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to material prices & building costs