How much to build this house ?

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: How much to build this house ?

Postby thaifly » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:39 am

erikr69 wrote: If you are looking to build for 500000, wait till you have at least 750000 in the kitty as prices do go up and you always spend more then you wanted
gidday erikr69 and all ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM....the above is WORDS OF WISDOM...clearly dealt with in a couple of sentences...and the last one is so true...hey erikr69..i went bersek buying trees..i had to give myself a good UPPERCUT..TO STOP MY FRENZY...at times we do get carried away with our builds..which is fine as long as your pockets are deep enough to pay...nice post erikr69..full of merit...its a about to have a HERBAL STEAMBATH GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby Lingyai » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:52 am

I can comfirm that the total area is around 80 sq metres . My girlfriend is going to do all the buying of materials as she has no trust in any Thai man with money :D . This makes me alot happier knowing she has control over my money. I can fly over in June this year to see how well its going and i will do a progress report and post it here. The builder said he can make a start and then he has to harvest his rice and then he can finish maybe 1 month later. This happened to my girlfriends brother who has a house built very near by, i saw the house when the floors where laid and the roof was in place, its now finished at a price of 480,000, the price and quaility and size will be very close to mine. I have never laid a brick in my life or done any construction at all , i am at the mercy of the builder and my girlfriend , i think she will do me proud....i hope. :)
Lingyai

Postby erikr69 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:50 am

Thaifly, I am still in the learning fase. Just designing and brainstorming for what should be called a house that makes the mrs silent, gives the MIL a roof above her head and is cheap enough for me to walk away from if I prefer another location :)

the Mrs will be paying for it anyway so if she wants 5 bedrooms it is all up to her. The idea is to start in about a years time, but from the lessons I learned here it will be most likely be a year later.

We have been looking at aluminium roofing and at 180 per sqm the price is reasonable based on the lower cost of steel trusses but that is my biggest question at the same time. Ah well resale value is not important and as long as the insulations is there I am happy with it
erikr69

Postby jazzman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:14 am

Standard concrete tiles are available in a huge variety of colours cost from only 9 baht each: 117 baht per square metre.
Composite 120 x 60 panels such as we are using on the motel cost 56 baht each: 112 baht per square metre.

The saving in the cost of steel by using a lighter roof covering than proper tiles would be less than 10,000 baht.

IMHO, steel or aluminium roofs are out of the question as they will need extra insulation and are extremely noisy during heavy rainfalls. While our house was being built we lived in my in-laws house which has a tin roof. In the hot season it was like an oven - interior temperatures reaching 50 degrees C or more. Member Nawty has a metal roof, but it is insulated with sprayed-on foam.

I can confirm that you can get this house quality built for a total of 560,000 baht, or by using the traditional Thai methods - see my motel project - for around 420,000 - 480,000 baht.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby erikr69 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:05 am

thanks Jazzman, some information I was looking for. Based on your estimate that the steel would only be about 10000 cheaper (250sqm surface, roughly 15 by 14) the choice for tiles is cheaper. Guess I need to get some designs done on the truss needs for both solutions to get a real estimate
erikr69

Postby jazzman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:53 pm

erikr69 wrote:thanks Jazzman, some information I was looking for. Based on your estimate that the steel would only be about 10000 cheaper (250sqm surface, roughly 15 by 14) the choice for tiles is cheaper. Guess I need to get some designs done on the truss needs for both solutions to get a real estimate
Don't forget that a roof rtuss is more than just a ridge, rafters, and battens - there are queenposts, purlins, struts, and gussets to consider.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Previous

Return to material prices & building costs