How much to build this house ?

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

How much to build this house ?

Postby Lingyai » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:45 pm

I am in the process of choosing a house design for my holiday home in Ubon Ratchatani. I have just bought a small piece of land not far from Phana. I was browsing the gallery section to get some ideas and i found something which was perfect for my needs. All i want is a basic 2 bedroom bungalow. I know a picture is worth a thousand words , so could anyone give me a rough estimate on building a house the same as this one, but with aluminium front door and window frames, everything thing else the same. Thanks :D
Attachments
normal_DSC00121.JPG
Lingyai

Re: How much to build this house ?

Postby geordie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:41 pm

A valid and often asked question that has no answer
There are too many variables to give a conclusive answer but look at what other forum members have spent on there homes and you should be able to get an idea
Prices can be inflated because of area; materials used; availability of a builder; what fittments you use
read through cost to render a perimiter wall as a starting point ???
then look through members builds as near possible to your area
Jazman built a nice bungalow that did not cost the earth but has a wealth of experience behind him
I spent six weeks reading even historic posts and (a) saved a fortune (B) learnt how to build thai stye/compromise
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Lingyai » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:08 pm

Thanks for the reply,i understand that it is difficult to estimate costs thats why i thought a photo may help. I will be using not the cheapest and not the most expensive materials. The builder has quoted 500,000 for the build and 115000 labour costs, we have decided to change the roof material to save money and use wooden window frames , but we will have a aluminium sliding front door. Do you think this is a fair estimation as i don't to be ripped off !! :D
Attachments
normal_DSC00080.JPG
Lingyai

Postby jazzman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:55 am

Lingyai wrote:Thanks for the reply,i understand that it is difficult to estimate costs thats why i thought a photo may help. I will be using not the cheapest and not the most expensive materials. The builder has quoted 500,000 for the build and 115000 labour costs, we have decided to change the roof material to save money and use wooden window frames , but we will have a aluminium sliding front door. Do you think this is a fair estimation as i don't to be ripped off !! :D

One of the most important things to know to be able to guesstimate the cost is the size which you don't mention. However, it looks basically like a 8 x 8 = 64. If the porch is an add-on, say another 4 x 4, that would make it 80 m2.

Based on a standard all-in price for labour and materials, using entry level materials, that would be about 560,000 baht. I know there are people who will disagree, but I could certainly build it on my land for that.

All roof coverings, whether CPAC or NAVA tiles, composite panels, or corrugated iron cost roughly the same. The only thing you will save on will be the steel, which if you use one of the lighter coverings, you can use 3 inch steel instead of four inch, space the rafters at 1 m instead of 80cm, and pitch the battens at 1 m instead of 34.5 cm.

If 115,000 is for the labour only, you've got yourself a very good deal, but you would need to see something they have built already, and take a very close look at the quality - particularly the rendering, the tiling, the electrics, and the straightness and plumb of the walls.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:37 am

gidday lingyai...its the thai fly from mae rim...your total price of 615.000 baht assuming it is 80 sq metres...is a great deal...for a basic single floor build..and taking into account the builder will give you a fair job....with the usual headaches...the great jazzmans quote is 560.000 baht ...so LINGYAI...YOU ARE MERE 10% ABOVE JASSYS price...and MOST C.T.H. MEMBERS...are aware tha the great jazzmans prices are either the lowest or unbeatable...so rope this builder in before he changes his mind...ITS A ROPE A DOPE GIDDAY TO ALL its the thaify from mae rim
thaifly

Postby jazzman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:58 pm

Member Somdet had his luxury house built (or so he says) for a total turn-key price of 7,000 per m2 - and that's what I based my estimation of Lingyai's house on.

However, I know that this can be done, and for less, from my own experience. But as ThaiFly says, for around just 600,000 you will be hard pressed to get a better deal unless you manage the procurement yourself to ensure that you are getting the materials, fixtures, and fittings at their true prices.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby geordie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:09 pm

A huge jump per meter from previous posts???
At a glance Somdet included perimiter wall hot water expensive wooden flooring is this a fair comparisom
My next door neighbour(thai)built 120mtr at a cost of BHT650000
Two doors away an american paid BHT1250000 for a very similar build of 120mtrs his included the drive /gate and some nice trims around the windows and doors???
geordie

Postby jazzman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:17 pm

geordie wrote:A huge jump per meter from previous posts???
At a glance Somdet included perimiter wall hot water expensive wooden flooring is this a fair comparisom
My next door neighbour(thai)built 120mtr at a cost of BHT650000
Two doors away an american paid BHT1250000 for a very similar build of 120mtrs his included the drive /gate and some nice trims around the windows and doors???

I don't think Somdet included all those extras in his original 7,000 baht budget, besides which, perimeter walls , driveways, gates, and bathroom heaters are not included in a contractor's quote based on the m2 of a house. Somdet freely admitted going over his budget with his expensive wooden floor, which by the way turned out to be a flop and wasted money.

Lingyai's house can definitely be built for around 600,000 but he will have to take a chance on the quality, and watch the workers like a hawk - with an expert eye.
jazzman

Postby geordie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:56 pm

stickin my neck out again am i the only one that thinks the material price at BHT500000 is excesive although labour not bad

[/quote]

Lingyai's house can definitely be built for around 600,000 but he will have to take a chance on the quality, and watch the workers like a hawk - with an expert eye.[/quote]

Definitely true but is it not exesive if he has to look over their shoulders
geordie

Postby jazzman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:29 am

I'll stick my neck out too ,and repeat a warning that I've made several times: Houses are so cheap here in Thailand, it's best not to be taken by a rush of euphoria and try to get things done even cheaper still, and then finding that the money wasn't enough.
It is essential to calculate on the high side and be happy when you've saved some. ALL projects should include a 10 - 20% safety margin.

I know of three half finished projects in my (almost) immediate area, for these reasons.
jazzman

Postby Lingyai » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:40 am

Unfortunately i can't see the progress, i will have to rely on my girlfriends judgement :( . The 500,000 baht quote was the max it will cost so it may be a few thousand less, the labour is fixed at 115,000 baht. I have asked my girlfriend to keep the reciepts and a record of all money spent , and when i get these reciepts i will post some prices on this forum so others can benefit. This will be a good adventure for me and i am looking forward to seeing the end result. The build will start on the 27th of April , but if the £ goes below 50 baht i will hold the project until after the rainy season. I will post my progress when they start the build, here is a pic of the land which cost me 60,000 baht last August. 8)
Attachments
resized_land.jpg
Lingyai

Postby thaifly » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 pm

Lingyai wrote:Unfortunately i can't see the progress, and when i get these reciepts i will post some prices on this forum so others can benefit. This will be a good adventure for me and i am looking forward to seeing the end result.
gidday lingyai...its the thaifly frommae rim....may i very politely point out to you and therefore steer you in the right direction...the details apart from the pic and prices.. that you have given to the board...are virtually non existent for any member to help you progress in estimating a good call on a price of your build ...3 members including myself...have given you a rough call...basing our prices on our experiences...to you which i feel is very commendable taking into consideration the very skant details given to us...you hav not mentioned how many sq metres is your build..that is a very vital key in estabalashing a price for you...so cobber..give the board further details on your build...and i am sure the great jazzman and company...will do there very best to help you to remove any doubts that you have in your mind in getting ripped off....good luck with your build...and it will be nice to see the end results on C.T.H....ITS ABOUT TO HAVE A NICE GLASS OF RED WINE GIDDAY to all its the thai fly frommae rim
thaifly

Postby erikr69 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:42 pm

Old monkey,

You better listen to what the wise powers are sayin above. They have the experience and know how that guys like you and me may be missing. If money is tight just wait a bit longer. If you are looking to build for 500000, wait till you have at least 750000 in the kitty as prices do go up and you always spend more then you wanted
erikr69

Postby geordie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:57 pm

Nice sized plot have you factored in for weather very hot followed by rain lots of it
the price seems more reasonable now its explained you had seperated out the labour element
Leaving it to wife GF could well work out a mistake When Jazman visited chayaphum we had a drink with an English man who kept sending money to an unfinished project
Not deliberate fraud just a lack of control
I personally went on holiday employed labour direct and built a place in five weeks rather than give them open acsess to my wallet
My sugestion would be take the time go there and at least supervise the start of it
Explain clearly to GF that when the money has gone there is no more she will of course not beleive you
Make it clear to the builder
Another option would be cough up a consultancy fee and relax knowing that you wil get a finished project a realistic option given the lack of respect that Thai men show toward farrang girlfreinds
geordie

Postby jazzman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:27 pm

From the first pic, the size can be estimated at about 80 m2 - that's a 4 module on a 4 x 4 grid plus the 4 x 4 porch.
At Somdet's original all-in construction deal (without the mistakes) that would be 560,000.
I recently recently met a guy near Khon Kaen who had a house like this built on his land for his in-laws for 480,000 baht.

This is the thread to read, obviously a lot of members have missed it:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1316
jazzman

Next

Return to material prices & building costs