Estimate: 6 post, 2 storey barebones cement house/hut

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Estimate: 6 post, 2 storey barebones cement house/hut

Postby RY12 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:46 am

[I included a (very) nontechnical drawing below just so you can understand what I'm talking about quicker.]

It's a barebones 4 meter by say 9 meter house, below I list the rough prices I've estimated using my limited knowledge and looking on coolthaihouse and american hardware stores..... if anything's radically off, let me know please! My lady is going to Sisaket this weekend to look for builders- we're actually building in Ubon but she couldn't find anyone she trusted there (btw, if anyone knows Ubon builders, let me know), and I wanted to give her a rough price estimate so she knows if the guy is giving her fair deal or not... so this is I think generous allocation for each item (maybe too generous, others have told me it can be done for 200k, but I don't see how)... we'd be buying most of the materials our selves and delivering to site, but most labor and oversight would have to be hired:

6000B- 6 1-storey prefab reinforced posts at 1000B each for first floor posts- won't wall in first floor.
8000B- 6 second story poured posts between block walls. (are these necessary? or does superblock have rebar cavities?)
9000B- 6 poured horizontal beams for ring around second storey floor, to support:
7000B- 30 100cm x 4 meter prefab concrete slabs for second storey floor at 250B each
12,000B- 2 inch thick poured concrete on top of these prefab concrete slabs.
40,000B- Superblock for second storey walls or some similar insulating block- roughly 600B sq meter?
30,000B- Wood floor for attic floor/second-storey ceiling.
30,000B- Wood roof beams
20,000B- Cheap metal roof
9,000- attic insulation
50,000- tiles- hopefully floor and wainscoat
30,000- toilet, bathtub, 2 sinks, shower head, etc.
40,000- 3 sliding glass doors to serve as windows (2 for big room, 1 for bedroom on right), plus one small bathroom window.
50,000- other miscellany (cement finishing, plumbing, electricity, attic fans, BAMBOO ladders up to second floor, etc)
65,000- LABOR at 1800 baht a sq meter

400,000 TOTAL

RY12

Re: Estimate: 6 post, 2 storey barebones cement house/hut

Postby geordie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:08 am

good luck with the build a couple of sugestions would be corugated cement sheets for roof quieter Suspended ceiling tiles cheaper and steel for roof joists
I used ready mix concrete BHT 1350 cube mtr=3.5 posts BHT1250 tiles 180mtrs 30000
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby thaifly » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:23 am

gidday ry12...its the thaifly from mae rim.looked at you bill of quantities..did not notice steel mesh for your second floor there..may have overlooked as at this moment i am preesed for time pleasre correct me if i am wrong its the thailfly
thaifly

Postby RY12 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:34 pm

Indeed I forgot the mesh for the concrete floor, but that falls under the miscellany category thaifly.

You suggest steel roof joists would be cheaper than wood geordie? I'd like the attic to be inhabitable or at least storage area, so that's why i need to have a wood floor u can walk around up there-- i assumed the wood floor would be cheaper than a second poured concrete floor. if it's insulated and has cross fans running in the eaves, it shouldn't be too much of an oven up there right?
Only 1350 baht a cubic meter for concrete?? in the US it's 6000 baht and up, but that's with the delivery truck, so maybe that's one of the RADICAL overestimations on my part.
thanks
RY12

Postby Rick B » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:04 pm

RY12, I agree with Geordie that using steel roof supports would most likely be cheaper than using wood. Although, from what I've heard from the Thais I know who have used wood for their roofs, wood is probably better. It will never rust and is just as strong if sized correctly! I also agree that a cheap concrete corrogated roof tile would be better than the metal corrogated roof. A standard roof tile 1.2m x 0.5m (with a usable size of 1.0 x 0.45, which accounts for the overlaps) shouldn't cost more than 60 baht each. I'm not an expert on wood, but I've heard horror stories about the cost of wood now in Thailand, due to its scarcity. Therefore, I think that perhaps a concrete floor for the attic would be cheaper than a wooden floor. You should note that standard precast floor slabs come in a width of 35 cms and any length you need. The price today for 4 meter long slabs should not be more than 250 baht per sq. m. By my rough calcs, for a 9 meter long room, using 4m long floor slabs you should need 25 of them, for a total cost of around 9,000 baht. With a house this size, I don't think you could justify using ready mix concrete delivered in trucks. It would be much easier and more practical, as well as cheaper, to mix the concrete on site. So that should be another savings for you. For attic insulation, I recommend you use the standard reflective foil under the roof tiles. I'm from the US also and am very used to insulation blankets or blown in insulation laying on top of the attic floor. However, in my house I used what the Thais typically use, that being the reflective foil under the roof tiles, and now find it to be very satisfactory. I think your house will be cool and the attic not too hot, should you have to access it periodically. Don't forget to include some cost for footers for the six first floor columns to rest on. Hope these suggestions are helpful! Good luck with your future plans.
Rick B

Postby geordie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Rick B wrote:RY12, I agree with Geordie that using steel roof supports would most likely be cheaper than using wood. Although, from what I've heard from the Thais I know who have used wood for their roofs, wood is probably better. It will never rust and is just as strong if sized correctly! I also agree that a cheap concrete corrogated roof tile would be better than the metal corrogated roof. A standard roof tile 1.2m x 0.5m (with a usable size of 1.0 x 0.45, which accounts for the overlaps) shouldn't cost more than 60 baht each. I'm not an expert on wood, but I've heard horror stories about the cost of wood now in Thailand, due to its scarcity. Therefore, I think that perhaps a concrete floor for the attic would be cheaper than a wooden floor. You should note that standard precast floor slabs come in a width of 35 cms and any length you need. The price today for 4 meter long slabs should not be more than 250 baht per sq. m.

The price of wood is not the only issue it could and does end up as an expensive meal for more than one vermin termites woodworm and even rats will have a go at it
I paid for rough boards unknown wood but looked like a hardwood 8"x3/4"x12ft BHT600
Redimix i favoured because of the time it saved freeing up the labour for other things and i was on a tight shedule
Because of the width 4 metres the ridge height is not going to be that great limiting its usefulness even for storage also adding the atraction to vermin and restricting the airflow
I have first hand experience some power tools stored in the attic got well chewed peed and crapped on
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby jazzman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:16 am

RY12 wrote:others have told me it can be done for 200k, but I don't see how

Yes it can be done - quite easily in fact. For a start you can save 43,000 baht on your floor tiles, 9,480 on the ready-mix concrete, 20,500 on the bathroom fittings; and do you really want to go for the luxury of superblock for this small house? You could be saving another 20,000.

The labour price needs some careful math re-doing (there's something not quite right there), and the precast columns are probably nowhere near what you stated.

I've recently updated a lot of prices in several forums on the board, and there are a great many very recent prices (this week) for materials fixtures and fitting here: http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/thumbn ... p?album=76

The roofiing will cost the same, whether you opt for 'cheap' metal, cement panels, or concrete tiles - a saviing of about another 13,728; and the steel for a roof truss should not cost more than 10,000 saviing you another 20,000.

So that's 126,708 baht saved already.

I worked all that out in only 5 minutes so I could of course be very wrong :wink:
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to material prices & building costs