2009 Labour costs

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

2009 Labour costs

Postby jazzman » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:16 am

Please see this thread http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3721#p3721 for an update and complete breakdown of labour costs. Expect Pattaya and other traditional farang haunts to be significantly higher - however, due to the drop in tourism, many girls are returning to their villages so Isaan some based labour teams are prepared to go and work in those areas for their home region rates.
5 x 8 days x 300 bahts per day = 12,000 + say 30% mark up = 16,000. However 64k was the price paid by our builder to the subcontractor, 300 sq.m. at 200 bahts + few miscellaneous costs. I don't know what's wrong here, but the installation was part of our lump sum, so I don't really care. There is a big potential cost saving here for people choosing the 'Jazzman" method and hiring their own team + supervision
Thomas Fontaine

And this topic http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=975&st=0&sk=t&sd=a consolidates and concludes it - worth reading.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Re: 2009 Labour costs

Postby Boon Mee » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:15 pm

Back a couple years ago when I was first planning the perimeter wall project, labor was quoted at 500 baht per lineal meter. Can anyone update that figure or is it still a good benchmark?

Cheers,
BM
Boon Mee

Postby Rick B » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:14 pm

I had my perimeter fence quoted the middle of last year at THB 750 per linear meter. The labor price was based on a fence design of 2 meters high, columns every 2.5 meters, single footers under the columns (i.e., no second footer with a knee brace support to the fence columns), rendering on both sides of the fence, and a 2 meter long pile driven (by hand) under each footer location. The total lenght of the fence, including a 5 meter wide sliding door for vehicle entry and a 1.5 meter wide swing door for personnel entry, was 220 meters. I was told by several people in the neighborhood that THB 750 was an extremely good price. The workmanship was OK, and the fence is still standing! But that "chang" was sloppy. He left the area very dirty with lots of spilled concrete piles, which I had to clean up myself. (Shame on me for paying him 100% with only his promise that he'd clean everything up!) But, I did save some money with him and I do have a nice perimeter fence.

I recently (this week) was quoted by different chang THB 900 for labor for another perimeter fence to go around my apartment building. This chang is the one who built my house and is now completing a 20-room apartment for me. His work is always exceptional and he is the most honest and ethical builder I have every met in Thailand and I expect him to be the same with the new fence labor. This fence will also be 2 meters high, 50 meters long, with columns every 2.5 meters. While its a little more expensive than the first fence I had built, I'm willing to pay a little more just to avoid the agravation of dealing with another fence chang whom I don't know well enough to fully trust.

So those are two recent labor prices for you to consider, both in the same area where you'll be building. If you want any more details, PM me.
Rick B

Postby jazzman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:49 pm

Are talking about a fence (concrete posts with wire between them) or a fully brick wall, rendered and painted on both sides?
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Re: 2009 Labour costs perimeter wall

Postby thaifly » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:24 pm

gidday boon mee...its the thaifly from mae rim..in addition to mylast post ..the ASTUTE RICK B price is a very good price to follow..as mhis price has additional work to mine gate entrance etc etc ...its a wall of a gidday to all its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby Boon Mee » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:01 pm

jazzman wrote:Are talking about a fence (concrete posts with wire between them) or a fully brick wall, rendered and painted on both sides?

Sorry I was not more specific. Believe the 500 baht quote was based on unrendered sides but posts every 2.5 meters with a height of 2 meters. Rick B.'s recent experience with his chang gives me an idea what to budget now. As the boys in northern Minnesota say, it's going to be a bit 'spendy' if I want to do the wife's entire 5 rai with a nice gate(s) etc! :)
Boon Mee

Postby jazzman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:00 pm

I think your quoted price for the labour is very fair. Generally, a turn-key solution from a contractor for a 2m high breezeblock wall, posts at 2,5 - 3.0 m, rendered both sides, would be in the region of 1,500 - 1,600 per metre.
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:40 am

it's going to be a bit 'spendy' if I want to do the wife's entire 5 rai with a nice gate(s) etc! :)[/quote] gidday boon mee..its the thaifly rom mae rim..from my experience..in building our project..when receiving quotes etc etc. the larger the job..the cheaper it should be..E.G. CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN....now 5 rai of perimeter fencing is a hell of a big contract....so i would be getting several quotes from contractors.. stresssing to them...that a discounted price should be in place..because of the size of it...as mine was 600 baht a linealmetre for approx 40 lineal metres a very small job in comparsion to yours..i surely would be looking for a price..much lower than mine BIG TIME.... fencing contractors are a dime a dozen up this way....and if i had a job of this size ...i would be screwing there arses off..for a rock bottom price..and i am sure they would love a contract of this size which in building terms a straight forward job.. BREAD AND BUTTER so to speak.....you should be in the drivers seat..on this one HELL 5 RAI is a monster of a perimeter wall..in terms of size and money..ITS A CAN YOU BELEIVE IT ..GIDDAY TO ALL its the thaifly frommae rim
thaifly

Return to material prices & building costs