Cost Of Setting Up Labourers Lodgings Whilst House Building?

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Cost Of Setting Up Labourers Lodgings Whilst House Building?

Postby tung » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:44 pm

Any ideas how much it costs to put together a typical lodging setup for your labourers when building single building bungalow/house?
tung

Re: Cost Of Setting Up Labourers Lodgings Whilst House Building?

Postby Karl » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:34 pm

as far as I know and see around here, they just bring some plates and build a shed themselves. Once the roof is on, they sleep under that.
Karl

Postby Nawty » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:12 am

Such a small amount it is not worth worrying about.

I had a BOQ from my first builder that quoted his workers camp as costing him 100,000b.... :lol:
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby thomas.fontaine » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:06 pm

I agree with both Karl and Nawty, we are talking about unsignificant amount here. If your are working on an estimate of your house for the complete scope, including laborers lodging, I would put 10,000 bahts provision for it (8 men @ 2 days @ 250B = 4,000 + few material, cement for the toilet...). That should be good enough.
thomas.fontaine

Postby jazzman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:47 pm

A regular labour gang will take care of the provision of their accommodation at their own cost from materials they use over and over again, and they will be perfectly adept at constructing a field latrine, a hosepipe, and a large plastic tub for their temporary sanitary ware.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby tung » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:49 pm

Cheers Guys
tung

Postby jazzman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:12 pm

Nawty wrote:Such a small amount it is not worth worrying about.
I had a BOQ from my first builder that quoted his workers camp as costing him 100,000b.... :lol:
I think that's the BKK-farang syndrome, Nawty. I seem to remember someone telling me that you were also quoted 70,000 baht for a tin roof over your swimming pool pump :wink:

This is our builder's hut, packed flat. Goes up in 30 minutes and houses 10 people (36 m2, modular), valuable power tools and costly small materials, and a field kitchen. It was originally designed with the tubular steel frame to lock together with split pins, but once they all got lost the workers now just weld the thing together each time, and unweld it when they take it down again. Includes full electrics and lighting, and a couple of ceiling fans. Plywood floor. Cost about 8,000 baht in steel and good quality corrugated tin that still looks new after 2 years.
DSCF7552.jpg
Builder's hut packed flat
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby tung » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:39 pm

Do these guys also keep a watch on materials you buy like steel and blocks during the night or do you build a store area for these?
tung

Postby jazzman » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:40 pm

tung wrote:Do these guys also keep a watch on materials you buy like steel and blocks during the night or do you build a store area for these?
The things that usually get stolen from building sites are by opportunist thieves, and are easy to carry away such as hand tools, hand power tools, coils of copper wire, electrical fittings. They are not going to walk off with a ton of bricks, 50 Kg sacks of cement or 6 metre long pieces of steel.
The labourers all sleep in the shed with the tools. If they are working close to home they take it in turns for someone to sleep in the shed at night. Most petty theft occurs within the group of workers themselves.
They often bring their fighting cocks with them while they are living on site. The cocks are pretty good watchdogs too.
jazzman

Postby tung » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:02 pm

jazzman wrote:They often bring their fighting cocks with them while they are living on site. The cocks are pretty good watchdogs too.

:D
tung

Postby geordie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:32 pm

Tut tut you will have the R S P C A raiding sites for aleged cruelty
Geese tradtionally are reputed to make the best farmyard guards they hate everyone and cannot be bribed to shut up. same as a well trained dog
some clarity am i to understand Pattaya Bankok you subsidise the upkeep of the workforce
Issan ect you do not In the past the local labour shut shop 5-30 but expected to have a beer behind the house before they left
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Return to material prices & building costs