sudden decrease of metal prices...thaifly

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

sudden decrease of metal prices...thaifly

Postby thaifly » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:51 am

its a BARACK OBAMA gidday to all ....its the thaifly from mae rim....it must be certainly appreciated that the news of fallen metal prices..e.t.c. would be great bonus for future or immmedaite home builders in thailand or for that matter anywhere in the world ....but i must caution that i received inside info from OZ yesterday..that this maybe in the window for a short time... A CORRECTION SO SPEAK...and then it will head north again..to what heights thats any ones guess...and that also applys to when......i feel if i was in a situation as prices and trying to estabalish a budget at this present time...my main concern would be CURRENCY RATES.... as we are well aware of most major currencies have taken a hit of late against a VERY STRONG BAHT... i would be paying particular attention to the present policy of keeping the baht strong...and see if any movement is forthcoming in the baht weakening from there lofty heights ??? all in all .... its been one hell of a crazy year i cannot remember one being so crazy and at times very scary if you have investments in the stockmarket etc etc.....well its a WARREN BUFFETT GIDDAY ...TO ALL ...its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Re: sudden decrease of metal prices...thaifly

Postby dozer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:27 pm

Yes, it has been a wild ride as far as commodity prices and currencies too. There haven't to my knowledge been price swings as wild as this in the last several decades. On a happy note (depending on your perspective) the USD has been strong along with the Thai baht. Just a while ago everyone was bemoaning the end of the dollar and now it is back stong.....

Anyone's guess what happens with the prices, although I have been noticing more and more that when the price of gas was surging that was used as a good rationale to raise prices -- as transportation is a major component of costs, especially things like cement. Prices seem to rise easier than they go down. Good that with steel the pricing ties in with international pricing so it at least has gone down!
dozer
Site Admin

Postby jazzman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 pm

I can confirm, just as an example, that the price of 4 hun rebar has dropped back down to 110 baht from 185 baht. Now is the time to build like mad, and buy a huge tank and stock up with petrol (or diesel). The huge drops at the moment are a move to stimulate the world out of its despondency and stave off the otherwise inevitable huge lay-offs in labour. When the economy levels out, these prices will start to creep up again.

Now is also the time to be looking at air fares and planning and buying tickets in advance.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby tung » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:33 pm

It's a double edged sword at the moment in my opinion.

My money is UK based :( and the exchange rates are the worst for donkeys, currently 52.5 to the pound. The fall in prices has helped but the massive fall in the currency exchange rates has neutralised this fall. Making house building expensive if your money originates from the UK.

I am on a tight budget and hope to start a build in the next 2 months and will document here as this site has been fantastic for mortals like me who know silch about construction. One very lucky thing for me is that I transferred I hope at least 80% of the house build in June when the rate was 66.2, thank christ.
tung

Postby jazzman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:53 am

Whereas the pound and the dollar usually maintain roughtly the same equivalents in baht, in contrast to the pound which has dropped alarmingly, the exchange rate for the dollar has however risen surprisingly, which gave me a totally unexpected 50,000 baht more in my last transfer from the US/

We have entered a period in where commodity prices, exchange rates, and the global economy are the the most unpredictable and the most prone to sudden and large swings in history. We need to be more vigilant than ever, and every expat needs to quickly learn just a little bit more about economics and follow the trends very carefully.

I am a complete dunce at international finance, but Ihave mentioned my contingency plans elsewhere on this board. Basically right now I am investing in stocks of steel, and auto fuel. from what suppliers have told me, I do not expect the prices to ever get any lower, or the pound to reach it previous majestic height again of 76 baht when I came to Thailand.

Financial pundits and experts are already estimating that the world will take10 years at least to recover from this crisis.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to material prices & building costs