House Costs vs. Your BUDGET

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: House Costs vs. Your BUDGET

Postby Karl » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:25 pm

Around here they are building 'villas' and sell them for 15 million baht, 3 out of the four are sold, but if you look at it closely, it's very basic, but they do their best to try to make it look posh.
Nothing major, 3 bed, 3 bath, ...
That's the same price you would pay in Spain about 20 km from the coast, so they're getting close to it here, guess some people have to much money to spend :?
Karl

Postby geordie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:08 pm

Jazzman if you follow the sugestion cmx made any chance of you picking me up for shopping????
karl I know what you are saying about spain i have a few mates live there its got expensive over recent years as has everywhere thailand is still full of oportunity but starting to follow the same route more so the expense side of things /p--s poor exchange rates my flight this year at £960 all time high for me and still had to compromise on dates?3 years ago i was oferred a condo in pattaya £12000 and thought about it as a holiday pad the same places now have been lumped up to £21000 although they have repainted them retiled the floors ? seems a lot? must be farang decorators????
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Karl » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:53 pm

I think it's more farang real estates :roll:
Karl

Postby geordie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:07 pm

yes there are lots of ways to apply real here a few ripoff/theft/ criminal/robbery
you could not use value regards house condo prices in pattaya :mrgreen:
geordie

Postby jazzman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:38 pm

Karl wrote:Around here they are building 'villas' and sell them for 15 million baht, 3 out of the four are sold, but if you look at it closely, it's very basic, but they do their best to try to make it look posh.
That's the same price you would pay in Spain about 20 km from the coast, so they're getting close to it here, guess some people have to much money to spend :?

Don't forget that includes the price of the land, and you are in Pattaya, right? - some of the most expensive real estate in southeast Asia, with Phuket and Samui.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby jazzman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:42 pm

geordie wrote:Jazzman if you follow the sugestion cmx made any chance of you picking me up for shopping????
I think we already worked that out by PM. I might bring a concrete vibrator with me - depends on the current exchange rate of cheese...
(at least I don't charge 95 quid an hour)
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby geordie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:03 pm

i meant in your new light aircraft as recomended by cmx? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
geordie

Postby jazzman » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:09 am

chiangmaiexpat wrote:Wow. Maybe you should think about acquiring a pilot license and a small aircraft. :D Cheers, CMX
Did the PPL at Blackbush, Camberly in 1981 in my brother's Cessna 150, but was never able to afford a plane of my own. I suppose I could get a microlite, I could start it on my field ...
jazzman

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:36 am

jazzman i read an article that the pattaya police were getting microlights about 2 years ago for monitoring trafic they will have broke them by now make them an offer??? :D :D
geordie

Postby Karl » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:06 am

jazzman wrote:
Karl wrote:Around here they are building 'villas' and sell them for 15 million baht, 3 out of the four are sold, but if you look at it closely, it's very basic, but they do their best to try to make it look posh.

Don't forget that includes the price of the land, and you are in Pattaya, right? - some of the most expensive real estate in southeast Asia, with Phuket and Samui.

They started building them 2 years ago and the land is not even 1 rai. In Nong Palai 1 rai (seperate plots) last year was under a million, houses they build couldn't have been more the 3 million maximum, looking at the quality.
Karl

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:59 am

sounds like a good buisness if they have sold already i am in the cr-p here lost 50k over 12 months and predictions are its gonna get worse do not know if i should bite the bullet or ride it out not even a certanty it will sell know one guy dropped his price 40k had it on the market three months then got kicked in the gonads another 25k or face the repo man total loss 65 k but he had lost his job and they give you 3 missed paments then set the hounds on you i thought it a bit harsh he had the morgage 15 years same company so mutch loyalty you dare not even sell up and bamk the money you do not know if the goverment will own the bank next month

karl are you in pattaya mid december
geordie

Postby Karl » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:29 pm

flying back on the 12th, comming back mid januari
Karl

Updated information

Postby jazzman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:01 pm

Anyone logging in and joining this thread here for the first time, please read the entire thread from page 1 before posting as members do go back to their earlier posts and update them.

The UK pound (GBP) continues to plummet having lost a third of its value since mid 2008, and financial sources not only doubt that anything will happen to turn the situatioin around "any time soon", but are not optimistic that if it will recover to its previous heights of 76 baht for years. Although steel and transportation costs have dropped in Thailand, and although house costs are ridiculously low compared to Europe, unless you are fortunate enough not to be bothered by the rate of exchange, it's not the time to make impulsive decisions. You could build a 400,000 baht shack for your in-laws, but the absolute rock bottom price for building an acceptable house here, if you can really do everything yourself with a rag-tag bunch of semi-skilled labour, and use the cheapest materials and methods available is 600,000 baht, to which you must add land purchase, taxes, construction permission fess, connection to utilities, and eventual construction of a perimeter wall, a driveway, and essential landscaping.

If you know you are going to buy or build within the next 12 months or so, it may either be prudent to get a Thai bank account now, and start transferring your money, or to abandon your plans completely.
If you are still dead set on staying in Thailand for the next 20 years or so, it may still work out cheaper to rent property than to buy or build - particularly in the provinces. It would also have the added advantage of avoiding all the costs and hassle of getting control of the land you are not allowed to own, and losing your property when you and your wife or girlfriend decide to call it a day.
jazzman

Postby jazzman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:26 am

Deleted. Double post due to connection timeout.
Last edited by jazzman on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzman

Postby jazzman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:37 am

geordie wrote:hmm good advice all round so far but no emphasis on the current economic climate having just got out of bed in the uk to be told that two weeks time I AM building a house for mum in law it concerns me the way the £ has took a high dive ...

The opening post has been updated. The price of steel, one of the major considerations, has now dropped dramatically, reflecting the decrease in demand due to the squeeze.
... guess some people have to much money to spend :?
Very true, and a closer inspection may even reveal situations like these: http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... p?album=81
50% of the price generally represents the profit for the developer, his project management company, and the marketing agency. The price of the plot may also be included in the end price. All probably legitimate, but as members of this board have proven, it is possible to get similar houses built one's self with more control over the quality and for significantly less by avoiding all the cuts for the middlemen.
jazzman

PreviousNext

Return to material prices & building costs