Cost of this house?

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Cost of this house?

Postby Auggie » Fri May 23, 2008 9:51 am

If you had to guess on the construction costs for this house, not including the cost of land, what would you put it at?

Cheers

http://www.theplancollection.com/house- ... plan-17559
Auggie

Re: Cost of this house?

Postby rosegate » Fri May 23, 2008 1:00 pm

Auggie wrote:If you had to guess on the construction costs for this house, not including the cost of land, what would you put it at?

Cheers

http://www.theplancollection.com/house- ... plan-17559

With the high interior spec in the pictures of the web site you mention above, your talking 5 to 7 million baht (approx) for building costs, a bit more if you want a swimming pool included as well

http://www.pattayabuilders.net [url]

[/url]
rosegate

Postby Nawty » Fri May 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Thats around 19k per sqm roughly ??
Nawty

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Fri May 23, 2008 3:01 pm

Including interior? I think 19k/sqm is optimistic. It looks like an American type of plan. If you build this in Thailand you probably get grilled in the mansard bedrooms. :P

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby thaifly » Fri May 23, 2008 3:24 pm

chiangmaiexpat wrote:Including interior? I think 19k/sqm is optimistic. It looks like an American type of plan. If you build this in Thailand you probably get grilled in the mansard bedrooms. :P

Cheers, CMX
gidday to all...its the thaifly from mae rim..agree with c/mai pat...very optimistic with ROSEYS quote....at approx 19.000 baht a sq meter....in view that my project came to 12.600 sq meter before the recent price increases ....my call is 25.000 baht a sq meter minium just a calculated guess mind u ....ITS A VERY HAPPY GIDDAY TO ALL....ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby Auggie » Fri May 23, 2008 3:47 pm

Wow, thats a little more than I wanted. I was thinking a max of 4M. If one was to try to reduce the cost, how could that be done?

-Cut back on the amount of windows?
-Do not use as many lights and switches?

I mean, concrete and labour are fairly cheap here no? From doing up a small condo I found the major expenses to be the fixtures and appliances, not the materials. Lights, switches, aircons, stoves, fridges, sinks, taps, toilets, ovens and aircons seem to be the costly items.

Any ideas how the cost to build this house can be lowered? Even though most think that it would cost more than 5-7M.

Thanks
Auggie

Postby Auggie » Fri May 23, 2008 4:17 pm

chiangmaiexpat wrote:Including interior? I think 19k/sqm is optimistic. It looks like an American type of plan. If you build this in Thailand you probably get grilled in the mansard bedrooms. :P

Cheers, CMX

Hey there,
The interior looks great, but it also looks quite simple. The floors appear to be polished concrete, and the ceilings are one level. Why do you think the cost would be because of the mansard bedrooms?

Thanks
Auggie

Postby Nawty » Fri May 23, 2008 4:21 pm

I don't actually think it will cost more than 7...but for sure not your requested 4mil.

While the interior looks spiffy, you can do the same with different materials. Like the feature sandstone walls inside, they look expensive, but they are not.

Do you like the look of polished concrete...think about that on the floors, it can look very nice if doen properly.

You can shop around and find tiles for walls and bathrooms etc that are not 500/1000b per tile, but the same amount per sqm.

An example, I have about 90sqm of 60x60 white tiles and we found a quality tile which looks equally as good as any 500/1000sqm granito tile. It cost 300b psqm and many people have looked at it and said wow, very nice and must have been expensive. You just have to do a lot of leg work and look around hundreds of different shops and locations.

Same for fittings, all the fittings in house I am doing now cost around 220,000b and there is a mix of Grohe, Coto, Grassland, some italin name brand, American Std and several other names.

Thing was that I shopped for the look and style to suit, not for just the named brand....in the end I found several fittings that were much nicer and more stylish than Grohe for example much cheaper. That 220k also included a spa bath by the way.
Nawty

Postby Auggie » Fri May 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Nawty wrote:I don't actually think it will cost more than 7...but for sure not your requested 4mil.

While the interior looks spiffy, you can do the same with different materials. Like the feature sandstone walls inside, they look expensive, but they are not.

Do you like the look of polished concrete...think about that on the floors, it can look very nice if doen properly.

You can shop around and find tiles for walls and bathrooms etc that are not 500/1000b per tile, but the same amount per sqm.

An example, I have about 90sqm of 60x60 white tiles and we found a quality tile which looks equally as good as any 500/1000sqm granito tile. It cost 300b psqm and many people have looked at it and said wow, very nice and must have been expensive. You just have to do a lot of leg work and look around hundreds of different shops and locations.

Same for fittings, all the fittings in house I am doing now cost around 220,000b and there is a mix of Grohe, Coto, Grassland, some italin name brand, American Std and several other names.

Thing was that I shopped for the look and style to suit, not for just the named brand....in the end I found several fittings that were much nicer and more stylish than Grohe for example much cheaper. That 220k also included a spa bath by the way.

I do like the look of polished concrete, very much, but like you said, its all about finding someone that can do it properly.

And very true about shopping around, as I found some tiles I really like for 300B/sqm. I am not too bothered about brand names, but rather quality and if they go with the look of the place, but even so, facets and such are not the cheapest.

One idea I just had was to change the drawings so as it is single story, and add a bedroom where the hearth room is, and also where the breakfast room is. Surely, that will bring down the cost considerably? Maybe even under 4M?

Cheers
Auggie

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Fri May 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Auggie wrote:Hey there,

The interior looks great, but it also looks quite simple. The floors appear to be polished concrete, and the ceilings are one level. Why do you think the cost would be because of the mansard bedrooms?

With "getting grilled" I was referring to the vagary of having mansard bedrooms at all in Thailand, because -with the black roof- you can expect the late afternoon temperature to of 40 degrees Celsius and above in those rooms.

Regarding the cost... I suppose the staircase, kitchen, custom windows, and fixtures are the expensive items.

Another thing that I found out is that American floor plans, especially 2-storey plans, can be difficult to realise, because in Thailand they use a structural framework instead of load-bearing walls, which puts limitations on the design of the rooms.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby Auggie » Fri May 23, 2008 10:45 pm

chiangmaiexpat wrote:

With "getting grilled" I was referring to the vagary of having mansard bedrooms at all in Thailand, because -with the black roof- you can expect the late afternoon temperature to of 40 degrees Celsius and above in those rooms.

Regarding the cost... I suppose the staircase, kitchen, custom windows, and fixtures are the expensive items.

Another thing that I found out is that American floor plans, especially 2-storey plans, can be difficult to realise, because in Thailand they use a structural framework instead of load-bearing walls, which puts limitations on the design of the rooms.

Cheers, CMX

I agree, heat, and cooling, would be an issue. I would first eliminate many of the windows as they are expensive and do not insulate well, also in the bedrooms they are taking up too much wall space in my opinion.

I would like to see if a Thai architect could convert this into a concrete building as that is what they are most experienced with here. And use either double skin walls or a thick qcon block.

I would have lots of insulation above the ceiling, and fans to extract the hot air from the attic.

Lots of ceiling fans throughout, and windows placed in locations to try to maximize cross flow of air.

Also, many small aircons throughout, as opposed to a few big ones. This way, we could just turn on the aircon that we are sitting nearest too.

Lots of big leafy trees around the house to help shade it.

And I would try to design it without the second story.

So, given these mods, does anyone think it is possible to build for 4M? Do you think it is a good design for Thailand?

Cheers
Auggie

Postby rosegate » Sat May 24, 2008 6:42 am

Auggie wrote:
chiangmaiexpat wrote:

Cheers, CMX

I agree, heat, and cooling, would be an issue. I would first eliminate many of the windows as they are expensive and do not insulate well, also in the bedrooms they are taking up too much wall space in my opinion.

I would like to see if a Thai architect could convert this into a concrete building as that is what they are most experienced with here. And use either double skin walls or a thick qcon block.

I would have lots of insulation above the ceiling, and fans to extract the hot air from the attic.

Lots of ceiling fans throughout, and windows placed in locations to try to maximize cross flow of air.

Also, many small aircons throughout, as opposed to a few big ones. This way, we could just turn on the aircon that we are sitting nearest too.

So, given these mods, does anyone think it is possible to build for 4M? Do you think it is a good design for Thailand?

Cheers

Auggie, sorry i don't think there is much chance of getting this house built for 4 million baht, almost an imposibility infact

I also agree that the bedrooms in the roof space is not ideal, with the hot climate here in Thailand

Although an American design, i personally think the outside of the house looks great, I don't think a decent Thai archtect will have any problems copying this design
rosegate

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Sat May 24, 2008 8:03 am

It looks like the plan has to be modified significantly for Thailand. It's not only the mansard rooms, but what are you going to do with a hearth room in Thailand? A closed garage?

Regarding the cost: the plan specification is 314 sqm. I think this figure is misleading for a cost estimation, as it probably refers to indoor living space minus walls. The footprint of the house is 30.2 m x 14.6 m which comes up to 440 sqm for the first floor plus roughly 150 sqm for the second floor = 590 sqm. If you calculate 10k/sqm for standard materials, this would already be 5.9 mil.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby Auggie » Sat May 24, 2008 12:22 pm

chiangmaiexpat wrote:It looks like the plan has to be modified significantly for Thailand. It's not only the mansard rooms, but what are you going to do with a hearth room in Thailand? A closed garage?

Regarding the cost: the plan specification is 314 sqm. I think this figure is misleading for a cost estimation, as it probably refers to indoor living space minus walls. The footprint of the house is 30.2 m x 14.6 m which comes up to 440 sqm for the first floor plus roughly 150 sqm for the second floor = 590 sqm. If you calculate 10k/sqm for standard materials, this would already be 5.9 mil.

Cheers, CMX

I would modify the design to place a bedroom where the hearth room is, and a bed room where the breakfast room is. And make it a single story. Possibly have only one bay as a closed garage, and the other two open. I would also like to see a pool out the back and a deck.

So if I only do one level, with your estimates at 10K/sqm, that puts me just over 4M. But I do not know if 10K is realistic or not.

A friend of mine who has built many houses in the west and also in Thailand did not have many good things to say about it. He thinks it is a great design, but layed out some of the costs and problems to build such a house here. Still, going to poke around a bit more to see if it has any chance at all.

Cheers
Auggie

Postby Auggie » Sat May 24, 2008 12:25 pm

rosegate wrote:
Auggie wrote:
chiangmaiexpat wrote:

Cheers, CMX

Cheers

Auggie, sorry i don't think there is much chance of getting this house built for 4 million baht, almost an imposibility infact

I also agree that the bedrooms in the roof space is not ideal, with the hot climate here in Thailand

Although an American design, i personally think the outside of the house looks great, I don't think a decent Thai archtect will have any problems copying this design

Thanks for your opinion. So either I have to increase my budget, or find a way to modify the design to come with my specs.

Can you recommend a quality architect?

Thanks
Auggie

Next

Return to material prices & building costs