Cost Of Building in 2008

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Cost Of Building in 2008

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Mon May 12, 2008 9:06 am

Cheers everyone.

I've been reading about the recent price increases in this forum. Scary! Looks like we better start building soon, before the prices go up even more.

Does anyone have an idea what a good quality house built in Chiang Mai costs per square meter in Chiang Mai in 2008?

What we're looking at is a 4-Bedroom/3-Bath 2-storey house with 244 sqm covered space indoors and 136 sqm covered space outdoor (garage/veranda). Total area covered by roof is 220 sqm. Materials: good quality, but nothing too fancy. Terracotta tiles on the 1st floor, hardwood parket on the second floor, wooden window frames, the usual post+beam frame filled with brick, can't list all the details here...

I'll post some more details once the project has advanced a little further.

It would be interesting to know whether other members have built recently in CNX or northern area and what they have budgeted.

Cheers, Chiangmaiexpat
chiangmaiexpat

Postby dozer » Mon May 12, 2008 8:10 pm

Material costs tend to be fairly consistent throughout Thailand, with a variance in most cases of under 10%. Labor is also fairly consistent, with the exception of some tourist areas where it may be a bit more expensive. You can look at some two story projects like this: http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1070 and adjust for square footage and interior fittings and maybe about 20% increase due to the rise in the cost of materials for this year.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Tue May 13, 2008 9:37 am

Thanks for the reference, dozer. Very informative.

Yes, it seems that the cost of materials doesn't vary much throughout Thailand unless you're on an island and everything must be shipped. I am not so sure about the cost of labour. There appears to be quite some variation depending on whom you ask. We are still evaluating quotations.

I suppose that apetley gets a fairly good price having relatives involved in the construction. He budgeted 2m THB for 230 sqm which comes to 8700 THB per sqm. 20% increase means around 10k per sqm, thus 3.5m for a house with a 350 sqm footprint. Not too far off for a decent quality building?

Greetings from Chiang Mai, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby dozer » Wed May 14, 2008 12:50 pm

As far as labor the costs that the end workers get I believe are fairly static throughout Thailand. Current rates for skilled craftsmen, Pattaya = 250 per day, Bangkok = 270 per day and up country in Udon about the same. Cement mixers (not so skilled labor) are about 180 - 220 per day. If you are just a guy looking for day laborers for small project you won't find these rates. Figure a foreman, who also is normally the same one doing the contract, would have a daily rate of between 300 - 500 per day and well worth it.

If you do a labor only fixed price contract you can compute the appx. profit just by asking how long the project will take and how many workers will be involved. The person doing the contract should have a buffer of about 30% or more since he has to guarantee the job gets done to your satisfaction and he can lose money if the workers are slow or flake out on him, etc., etc. I have found that getting a few bids this way, the prices always seem pretty fair, however, when doing contracts inclusive of materials, in my experience only, the prices get wacky.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Rick B » Sat May 17, 2008 11:10 pm

As a comparison to Dozer's labor costs, I am building a house in Jangwat Suphanburi, which I would guess can be considered rural, non-tourist area. Our Chang's laborers fall into three categories, the very skilled who are getting between 350 - 400 per day, the generally skilled who are getting 200-220 per day, and the lesser skilled helpers (in our case all strong women, mostly wives of the skilled workers) who are getting 180 per day. Additionally, our contractor gives some of the laborers a gas allowance, if they have to travel a good distance to our building site, of 20 baht per day. These labor costs compare favorably to those listed by Dozer. I have heard of another builder or two in the same area who is offering a little more than these salaries, in order to attract more laborers. We've had a few of our workers jump jobs if the other is paying 10 or 20 baht more per day. Not much loyalty with some of these people.
Rick B

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Thu May 29, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

The construction workers are hired (and payed) by our builder, but I get an idea of the cost. Unfortunately I don't have the time to manage staff directly or to buy the materials myself, since I still have a daytime job.

We have divided the project into small chunks. Each chunk is smaller than one month duration and/or a few 100k THB. A list with detailed material specifications will be prepared for each phase. I hope that we will achieve transparency and manageability this way. The builder is happy with this arrangement.

Given the incredible recent price increases, I am considering to ask the builder to buy all the steel now and store it for later use. I sure hope that not everybody in the construction industry will jump on the bandwagon and mark-up their prices, although it's probably just a question of time.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby jazzman » Sat May 31, 2008 5:50 pm

I was able to save 60,000 baht last month by buying steel at November prices which my supplier still had in stock. Further deliveries will reflect the price increases. The steel prices are going to continue to rise and I will be putting in more advance orders before they go up any more.
jazzman

Return to material prices & building costs