BOQ Bill of Quantity to proof

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

BOQ Bill of Quantity to proof

Postby wy1001 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:21 pm

Hi together
i am planning to build a house in chiang mai area. Now i have drawings and a bill of quantity. my question is: can somebody proof this BOQ for confirming that the builder use a korrect price range. If yes, please contact me so we can talk about what for informations you need.
Also searching for a person in chiang mai who speek good english (or german) to accompany the building of the house and protect me from big faults.
best regards
guido wyss switzerland
wy1001

Postby Nawty » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:53 pm

Guido, you may have to do all the hard work yourself.

Best thing seeing as you have the drawings, I presume you have engineering drawings also, try to calculate some of the easier items frist and see if the builders quantities seem accurate.

For example if you are using pre stressed concrete slabs, calculate the floor area of your building. Then if it is say 200sqm and the builder has put down 300sqm, then you will instanly know he is trying to shag you.

Also any building supply store will give you prices for materials such as this, see what size the pre stressed slabs are on the boq and ask the supply store. Same goes for steel rebar etc.

It takes a lot of time and work to sit down and calculate the materials in a house from your drawings, nobody will do it for free. Unfortunately it is something that if you really want to know, you have to pay for it, or do it yourself.

But even paying for it has its ups and downs, I paid for a quantity surveyor to do one for me, I had already done it myself, I just wanted my calculations checked and was happy to pay a few baht for it to be done. Unfortunately the QS company just used whatever figures they had on hand for other jobs form other boq's and the figure was not accurate, at the end of the day mine worked out much more accurate simply because I cared to do it right myself.
Nawty

Postby wy1001 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:21 pm

hello nawty, thanks for the informations. i am not thinking about help for free. its clear that somebody must have money for his working. i searching a person who stay in cnx area and have the knowledge and time to give me assitance because i am most of the time outside thailand.
wy1001

Re: BOQ Bill of Quantity to proof

Postby jazzman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Your best bet is to contact THAIFLY He is very helpful. He is in Chiang Mai and because he has a large (and beautiful) project he may be able to tell you about someone.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:43 pm

@wy1001,

There are quite a few architecture software packages, which calculate Bills of Materials automatically. Depending on the assumptions that the software makes, you can't always use these figures without making adjustments, but I found it very helpful in calculating wall, floor, and roof area for example. Also having a list of doors, windows, fixtures, electrical sockets and switches, etc. is very useful. AutoCAD can do it, ChiefArchitect, SoftPlan and others.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby jazzman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:10 pm

Nevertheless, a CAD package cannot do your shopping for you, and needs the prices entered into its DB. There is also the question of the learning curve and the time to invest on it. Unless you are retired and have plenty of time on your hands, and enjoy doing that sort of thing, it may not be worth it for a one-off project. If you know your dimensions and the materials prices, a spreadsheet will do the same job. Most people have XL on their computers - it's part of the MS Office suite. ArchiCad is not cheap if you purchase a legal copy for just doing a BOQ.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to material prices & building costs