Price of Q Blocks

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Price of Q Blocks

Postby jazzman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:30 pm

Karl wrote:No the concrete ones, sorry don't know the name used for them.
In Nakhon Pathom they are 3.50 in Pattaya 4 but we only needed a hundred.

The Brits call them Breezeblock. They are also called cinderblock although they no longer use crushed smelting slag as aggregate. I put a photo of one on this site somewhere.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby tung » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:41 pm

I remember these also being called clinker blocks
tung

Postby geordie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:13 pm

The Brits call them Breezeblock. They are also called cinderblock although they no longer use crushed smelting slag as aggregate. [/quote]

I always thought they used coke as in what was left over from making coal gas (as oposed to the drink )and later marketed as a smokless fuel but did not burn well on an open fire ie could be used in aga or closed burners
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Rick B » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:11 pm

For comparison purposes for those pricing different blocks, I bought ProBlock in March 2008 at 12 baht/block. I bought direct from the factory in Ang Thong. I arranged the delivery direct from the factory through my local Home Mart since ProBlock is associated with Home Mart. At the same time, the list price in HomeMart per block was 14 baht. I used ~3,000 of the 50x20x7.5 cm blocks in my two storey house. And I'm happy to report that my house, both upstairs and downstairs, is coooooool all year long. When I enter the house from outside, it is very noticably cooler than the ambient temperature. I also never use A/C during the day; don't need to! Anyone considering using these kind of blocks instead of the regular cinder blocks should seriously consider ProBlock over Q-Con or Super Block or any other brands. They are cheaper and very effective. Plus, they do not require any special mortar as do other blocks. When laying the block and when rendering, regular cement was used. The only special requirement was that you soak the blocks in water for a few hours before laying them and keep them very moist when rendering.
Rick B

Postby tung » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:37 pm

Rick B wrote:For comparison purposes for those pricing different blocks, I bought ProBlock in March 2008 at 12 baht/block. I bought direct from the factory in Ang Thong. I arranged the delivery direct from the factory through my local Home Mart since ProBlock is associated with Home Mart. At the same time, the list price in HomeMart per block was 14 baht. I used ~3,000 of the 50x20x7.5 cm blocks in my two storey house. And I'm happy to report that my house, both upstairs and downstairs, is coooooool all year long. When I enter the house from outside, it is very noticably cooler than the ambient temperature. I also never use A/C during the day; don't need to! Anyone considering using these kind of blocks instead of the regular cinder blocks should seriously consider ProBlock over Q-Con or Super Block or any other brands. They are cheaper and very effective. Plus, they do not require any special mortar as do other blocks. When laying the block and when rendering, regular cement was used. The only special requirement was that you soak the blocks in water for a few hours before laying them and keep them very moist when rendering.

Hi Rick

What was the eventual price for the build?
tung

Postby Rick B » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:33 am

Tung, I'm not sure I understand your question correctly. If you are asking for the total cost of building my house, it was THB 3.7 million for all material and labor. This does not include the cost of land nor the cost of the perimeter fence and driveway. If that's not what you're asking for, please ask again.
Rick B

Postby tung » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Rick B wrote:Tung, I'm not sure I understand your question correctly. If you are asking for the total cost of building my house, it was THB 3.7 million for all material and labor. This does not include the cost of land nor the cost of the perimeter fence and driveway. If that's not what you're asking for, please ask again.

Yes sorry Rick for not making myself clear. At the beginning of your project you put a price of 3.5 I believe on it. I was just wondering if you came in above or below budget. You have answered my question. Did the timing of all the price increases catch you?
tung

Postby Rick B » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:40 pm

Tung, yes the price increases primarily in steel and cement caught me big time! I remember paying THB 105 for a bag of Boon Chang in the beginning and ended up paying THB 144 in the end. Likewise rebar and channel steel increased significantly over the course of the project. What's comical now is that I'm seeing steel and cement prices decreasing now, long after I've finished building my house. Likewise, I went through the lowpoint in the exchange rate between US$ and THB as well as taking out my investments in the US Stock Market when the market was on its initial downswing. So I was hit pretty hard on many fronts. But at least I'm finished building my hosue and thoroughly enjoyin it as well as my retirement in Thailand. I have a few friends who unfortunately are still "stuck" in the US and can't retire because they (1) can't sell their house in order to move to Thailand and (2) can't afford to cash in their investments now that the US market has gone from the 13,000's to the 8,000's in just about a year. Since I'm better off than others, I can't complain.
Rick B

Postby pklongball » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:37 am

Hey Rick B,

Sounds like my story also regarding the money situation and building here.

I'm just now getting rolling and still working out the pricing with a builder.

I see your info on the Problock but I don't see any contact info or a web link of any kind

Do you want to part with a email address or a web site link to this Problock?

I think you said the factory is in Ang Thong?

Thanks
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Postby Rick B » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:19 pm

My contact with the ProBlock factory was through the local HomeMart. I suggest you check with your local HomeMart and ask them if they can give you a contact number. I'll serch my files and see if I can find a business card of the sales manager who we dealt with out of the Ang Thong factory and let you know if I have any more information.
Rick B

Postby pklongball » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:59 am

Thanks,

My first attempt at the question at a bigger HomeMart in Rayong produced a brochure on the Q-Con company. They person we asked never heard of ProBlock. We did not pursue it any further that day. I have tried to Google the brand but nothing. I've looked for AAC companies and no hits about ProBlock.

Just curious do the actual blocks have a name stenciled into the ends of the blocks?

I have seen Qcon, SmartBlock, but not ProBlock. I believe there is also a Superblock.

Anyone else here have any links to the various brands?

I can see the Qcon and Smart web sites but I know there are more.
pklongball

Postby tung » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:32 am

No I've not managed to trackdown the pro block either (internet or through shopping around).

Went to the Home Mart in Cha am and they never heard of it and were pushing the AAC CPAC block @ 22.5 baht per 7.5 block. When I asked them if they had to be fitted like the Qcon with special mortar etc they looked at me blank, so I left it at that. Still not sure which block to use but the cost of the Pro Block is attractive if I could ever find it :D :lol:
tung

Postby Rick B » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:36 pm

Here is all of the information I have on ProBlock. The company's official name is Professional Block Co., Ltd. Their address is 173 Moo 2, Ob-Tom, Samko, Ang-Thong, 14160 Thailand. Their factory telephone number is 035 608-533. The person I dealt with, after going through my local HomeMart in Sam Chuk, Suphanburi, is Khun Praiwan. His phone number is 089-546-8429. I'm not sure whether he speaks any English or not. If and when you contact him, please tell him that you tried to obtain information about the product he sells through you local HomeMart store but couldn't get anywhere with the sales people there. You can mention my name if you like , or better mention my wife's name, Sompong Bold, and mention that we bought block from him earlier this year for our house in Sam Chuk, Suphanburi. He should remember us. I hope this information helps.
Rick B

Postby pklongball » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:57 am

Rick B wrote:Here is all of the information I have on ProBlock. The company's official name is Professional Block Co., Ltd. Their address is 173 Moo 2, Ob-Tom, Samko, Ang-Thong, 14160 Thailand. Their factory telephone number is 035 608-533. The person I dealt with, after going through my local HomeMart in Sam Chuk, Suphanburi, is Khun Praiwan. His phone number is 089-546-8429. I'm not sure whether he speaks any English or not. If and when you contact him, please tell him that you tried to obtain information about the product he sells through you local HomeMart store but couldn't get anywhere with the sales people there. You can mention my name if you like , or better mention my wife's name, Sompong Bold, and mention that we bought block from him earlier this year for our house in Sam Chuk, Suphanburi. He should remember us. I hope this information helps.

Rick B thanks for the info and I will ask the builder I deal with to give this place a call. He is trying to price block for me. But if this factory is quite a distance from me maybe the cost to ship here will negate the savings per block. I would thank you if you could post a few pics of this block if you have any laying around so I can see exactly what we're talking about. If these blocks are an option your price is very attractive as 12/13 baht per block compared to 20/22.

Thanks again
pklongball

Postby tung » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:52 am

pklongball wrote:
Rick B wrote:Here is all of the information I have on ProBlock. The company's official name is Professional Block Co., Ltd. Their address is 173 Moo 2, Ob-Tom, Samko, Ang-Thong, 14160 Thailand. Their factory telephone number is 035 608-533. The person I dealt with, after going through my local HomeMart in Sam Chuk, Suphanburi, is Khun Praiwan. His phone number is 089-546-8429. I'm not sure whether he speaks any English or not. If and when you contact him, please tell him that you tried to obtain information about the product he sells through you local HomeMart store but couldn't get anywhere with the sales people there. You can mention my name if you like , or better mention my wife's name, Sompong Bold, and mention that we bought block from him earlier this year for our house in Sam Chuk, Suphanburi. He should remember us. I hope this information helps.

Rick B thanks for the info and I will ask the builder I deal with to give this place a call. He is trying to price block for me. But if this factory is quite a distance from me maybe the cost to ship here will negate the savings per block. I would thank you if you could post a few pics of this block if you have any laying around so I can see exactly what we're talking about. If these blocks are an option your price is very attractive as 12/13 baht per block compared to 20/22.

Thanks again

Pklongball, what AAc blocks have you had a quote of 20 baht, was that for a massive quantity?
tung

PreviousNext

Return to material prices & building costs