Price of Q Blocks

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Price of Q Blocks

Postby Itchy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:51 pm

Can anyone give me the current price of Q Block and also the dimensions of the blocks in order for me to calculate the cost per square meter?
Itchy

q-con

Postby cruzing » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:18 pm

A friend of ours is a local thai builder who is the first guy in thailand to go to Germany and learn how to build with q-con. If Mr. C remembers correctly
about 50 baht each for the largest blocks.

There are other name brands in Thailand....about 3 or 4 I think that are aac blocks also and may give you a better price. Superblocks is one.

cruzing
cruzing

q-con

Postby cruzing » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:45 am

hmmm....after seeing the price Rick got his blocks, maybe I better double check the costs of the largest q=con blocks....however, I do think it's in the ballpark of what I remember....Let you know what I find out.

Attila used some of the larger blocks, maybe he remembers what he paid per block.....

cruzing
cruzing

Postby tung » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Found some prices on a phuket based website here:

http://phuketvalley.com/price.htm

This site recommends the following:

The standard Q-CON buildings has 200 mm thick external walls (8 inches) and 100 or 125 internal non load bearing walls

Making 80 baht a block, 666.40 baht a square meter, very expensive for this solution, if I am reading it correctly here:

http://phuketvalley.com/products.htm

Just tracked down the superblock site and the price for the same thickness 200mm block is cheaper here:

http://www.superblock.co.th/ at 67.20 per block 560 baht square meter, maybe the phuketvalley site is marking up big time.
tung

Postby dozer » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:26 pm

The thinner blocks which have a face size of 60 cm x 20 cm and a thickness of 7.5 cm are on sale around the Pattaya area for 19 per block (at a few different places). I think the 20 cm thick blocks should be appx 2.6 times this price so I would guess about 50 per block (as Cruzing thought). As I recall, these could be gotten for less money by talking directly to the factory (a while ago it was 40 ++).

I used to think these blocks were expensive, but first off you must consider that they use much less cement than regular or large cinder blocks. In addition they are very easy to work with and go up fast. They do use a specific type of cement for both binding and the render coat, which are commonly available.

http://www.superblock.co.th/ at 67.20 per block 560 baht square meter, maybe the phuketvalley site is marking up big time.
They show the 7.5 thick ones at 25.20, so the prices quoted are probably high by about 30%.
dozer
Site Admin

Re: q-con

Postby cruzing » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:56 pm

cruzing wrote:A friend of ours is a local thai builder who is the first guy in thailand to go to Germany and learn how to build with q-con. If Mr. C remembers correctly
about 50 baht each for the largest blocks.

There are other name brands in Thailand....about 3 or 4 I think that are aac blocks also and may give you a better price. Superblocks is one.

So this price is probably accurate. They are quite large blocks. Almost twice the length of concrete blocks and quite thick/wide. Don't know how the sizing goes, but they are the largest ones I've seen around here so far, although according to the thai q-con website they do have all kinds of blocks including wall panels, available in Thailand.

cruzing
cruzing

Postby Itchy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Thanks for the info guys, it gives me some thing to work with in trying to set some budget figure.
Itchy

Re: Price of Q Blocks

Postby tung » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:53 pm

Beginning to see alot of CPAC blocks around that look like AAC. Anyone know anything about these?

Next week I will be trawling around any builders merchants I can find in the Hua HIn / Cha am area. To start to price up materials. Will also see what Home Pro have to offer, they seem to deal in mainly light side materials though.
tung

Postby Karl » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:32 pm

Homepro in Pattaya has the Qcon blocks for 22 a piece, or it might be similar ones, there was a name on the side, but can't remember, all those white blocks look the same to me. :roll:
The wives dad said nearly 2 years ago he build a house in Nakhon Pathom with them at 9 bht a piece, don't know if it's the quality difference, or Pattaya prices nowadays.
Karl

Postby geordie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:54 am

karl do you know the size i think home mart do a block called pro block cheaper than qcon but smaller and i read elswhere not as thermally eficient??
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Re: Price of Q Blocks vs Cinderblocks

Postby jazzman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:38 pm

Whichever kind of block one decides to build with, based on the lowest superblock prices quoted in this thread, and today's price of cinderblocks:

Superblock (7.5cm): 1 m2 = 158.33 baht
Cinderblock (6.5cm)= 1 m2 = 43.75 baht

The 'glue' for Superblock is expensive, but as Dozer stated, one needs less of it. The directions on the pack should say how much is needed.
Mortar for breeze block is very cheap and works out at baht 950 per cubic metre (sand, cement, gravel). If laid neatly, the layer of mortar is 1 cm. Thus 1 sq.m of breezeblock needs about 5 baht's worth of mortar per m2 of wall.

It's all a question of budget, but a perfectly adequate house designed around load bearing columns can have the walls constructed with a single row of breezeblock. Some people (or their builders) choose the small red bricks that work out extremely cost and labour intensive. Local culture and tradition are the reasons - the small red clay bricks were around long before the breeze blocks, and it take decades for local mores to catch up with modernity.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Karl » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:12 pm

geordie wrote:karl do you know the size i think home mart do a block called pro block cheaper than qcon but smaller and i read elswhere not as thermally eficient??

No sorry, I belive it was 50 x 20 but not sure.

I bought the normal blocks at 4 bht a piece in a local shop.
Karl

Postby jazzman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:11 pm

Karl wrote:I bought the normal blocks at 4 bht a piece in a local shop.

ProBlocks? I'd love to know where, I'd stop using cinderblock immediately and travel the length of the country with my 7 tonner for stock or proBlock at that price :D .

Cinderblocks have just gone up from 3.30 to 3.50 each.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Karl » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:27 pm

No the concrete ones, sorry don't know the name used for them.
In Nakhon Pathom they are 3.50 in Pattaya 4 but we only needed a hundred.
Karl

Postby tung » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:23 am

Got quoted 27 baht per block for the CPAC 7.5cm block yesterday. Reasonably sized builders merchant. Will have to trawl around as that is more expensive than the Qcon and superblock.
tung

Next

Return to material prices & building costs