Double Pricing Survey

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Double Pricing Survey

Postby dozer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:45 pm

I agree with your comment about standard pricing in the large, franchise-type stores (HomeMart, HomePro, etc.). These stores don't change their prices based on the customer's nationality. Where I really think prices do change, depending on whether you are Thai or farang, are the stores that sell one type of item and never show pricing for anything. Example is doors, windows, stainless, etc. These places I try to let my wife do the buying.

(the above quote was posted in another forum, I moved the leg of this conversation here)

I know this is the common perception, I just haven't found it to be the case. I'm buying stuff all the time, if my wife goes into a store to check out stuff and I'm there I go in also. We pretty much know prices on a lot of stuff, but if it was a door or something, yes theoretically they could see me and mark up the price and further they know us at the stores around here. I will one of these days do a couple of 'sneak surveys' at places where we aren't know. I encourage anyone to do the same to see if they get confirmation of double pricing.

So, if you have time DO THIS. Send your Thai partner into a store that you don't shop at. Have her (or him) go in an check the price on a specific item (eg. bag of cement). Do this without you being in the car. At some later point on the same day go by the same store yourself and inquire into the pricing of the same item. I really would like to here what people actually experience.
dozer
Site Admin

Re: Double Pricing Survey

Postby thomas.fontaine » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:53 pm

Dozer,

For material in relation to concrete work (pillars, floor...), have you already worked out the cost per cubic meter if you add up cement, aggregate and sand, but excluding steel? I am looking for this rate for thai buyer, not farang.
thomas.fontaine

Postby dozer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:04 pm

For material in relation to concrete work (pillars, floor...), have you already worked out the cost per cubic meter if you add up cement, aggregate and sand, but excluding steel? I am looking for this rate for thai buyer, not farang.
This has very little to do with the topic. The topic is about whether there is a Thai/Farang pricing. This response is about the price of concrete. I leave it here instead of editing as an example of an OFF TOPIC response. If you want to post a question which doesn't have anything to do with the stated topic, please just go ahead and start a new thread.

This becomes important when people search the forum for information. If I respond here about the price of concrete the thread will change course and become about pricing of concrete. It just makes it more difficult to find information in the forum.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby thomas.fontaine » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:46 pm

Noted and understood
thomas.fontaine

Postby dozer » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Since no takers yet on this thread let me elaborate my views:

1.) Double economy: Here in Pattaya at least, there is a double economy. There are a number of contractors whose only customers are farangs. Take for example a deep well drilling outfit. They come out and quote a price with guarantee + equipment. Only thing is their price is 30k higher than others. Is it a price just because the client is farang? No, they simply will not work for a lesser price and just so happens the only takers are farangs.

This trickles through everything. Many contractors are the same. They price themselves so customers are farangs and why not? They seem to be happy to wait for the big fish.

2.) Foreign Only Products: There is a price gap when products are used mainly by foreigners. Example: Standard brand toilets. As soon as the toilet seat becomes long enough to fit the tastes of most foreigners, the prices go up dramatically.

3.) Double Pricing: There is double pricing here. There are those that do it openly with posted signs, tourist attractions and barbers are the prime example. Then there are ones that ask for more every time, such as baht buses. Then there are one off things where the price is just up to the individual seller, where they can afford not to make the sale. Could be anything, land, used car, etc.

My end analysis is that not in buying building materials and supplies there is limited double pricing because it is competitive, and also it just doesn't really make sense. If your Thai wife goes in to order a bag of cement and they see you are in the car (you the farang) do you think they are going to say, hey this is being used by a farang let's up the price 5 baht.... doesn't happen (IMHO) no matter if you or her do the buying.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby thaifly » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:16 pm

dozer wrote:Since no takers yet on this thread let me elaborate my views:

1.) Double economy: Here in Pattaya at least, there is a double economy. There are a number of contractors whose only customers are farangs. Take for example a deep well drilling outfit. They come out and quote a price with guarantee + equipment. Only thing is their price is 30k higher than others. Is it a price just because the client is farang? No, they simply will not work for a lesser price and just so happens the only takers are farangs.

This trickles through everything. Many contractors are the same. They price themselves so customers are farangs and why not? They seem to be happy to wait for the big fish.

2.) Foreign Only Products: There is a price gap when products are used mainly by foreigners. Example: Standard brand toilets. As soon as the toilet seat becomes long enough to fit the tastes of most foreigners, the prices go up dramatically.

3.) Double Pricing: There is double pricing here. There are those that do it openly with posted signs, tourist attractions and barbers are the prime example. Then there are ones that ask for more every time, such as baht buses. Then there are one off things where the price is just up to the individual seller, where they can afford not to make the sale. Could be anything, land, used car, etc.

My end analysis is that not in buying building materials and supplies there is limited double pricing because it is competitive, and also it just doesn't really make sense. If your Thai wife goes in to order a bag of cement and they see you are in the car (you the farang) do you think they are going to say, hey this is being used by a farang let's up the price 5 baht.... doesn't happen (IMHO) no matter if you or her do the buying.
GIDDAY DOZER ......its the thai fly from mae rim....HEY MATEY I AM A TAKER....NO WORRIES ABOUT ME ... but first its about INDEX FURNITURE .....IS THAT ALLOWED....?????? its a gidday to all its the THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby dozer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:13 am

but first its about xyz FURNITURE .....IS THAT ALLOWED....?????? its a gidday to all its the THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
Yes, as long as you don't mention the furniture store by name, eg. 'A furniture store' or 'A furniture chain' is fine......
dozer
Site Admin

Return to material prices & building costs