Price Increases Expected in 2008

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Postby thaifly » Thu May 01, 2008 9:13 am

Rick B wrote:An update of price increases that I've recently experienced here in Jangwat Suphanburi. Cement, both Boon Seua and Boon Chang, have increased 12 baht per bag in the last two weeks, 10 baht from the cement company and an additional 2 baht tacked on by the local Home Mart for delivery. I'm now paying 127 a bag for Boon Seua and about 10 baht more for Boon Chang. I've also seen steady increases in steel. An example. I am using 4" channel iron for my roof tile supports. I bought the bulk of these in mid March at 495 baht per 6m length. I just bought some more the other day at 620 baht per 6m length. That's an additional 25%. Rebar of all sizes, 6mm, 9mm, 12mm, etc. has also recently increased between 12-15% since February. Even mild steel welding rods have increased 22% in the last two months. And it doesn't look like the increases are about to stop.
gidday rick b and dozer and all ITS THE THAI FLy from mae rim who is in sydney presently...LET ME TELL U LABOUR PRICES HAVE RISEN DRAMATICALLY IN OUR DISTRICT.....exaample...the 5 workers who done a RUNNER on me building the SALA who i was paying 250 BAHT A DAY WITH BENEFITS are now on 300 BAHT A DAY ....a good tradesmen who i knew was getting 180 baht a day A YEAR AGO ...is now getting 300baht a day...and to top things off my nearby neighbour WHO I MIGHT ADD IS AS MEAN AS A CUT SNAKE CANT GET A LOOK IN AT 220 BAHT A DAY. 6 MONTHS AGO HE WAS PAYING 170 BAHT A DAY.....THEREFORE TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION OF rick b posting.
..... the MIGHTY APTLEY... uncles comments..on contract prices.. AND THE UPWARDS trend in labour prices in my district I WOULD BE A MONKEYS UNCLE not to call the price of a house to be built now has risen 15% to 20% this year .....any comments DOZER TO MY CALL ....ITS A SUPER GREAT GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby dozer » Mon May 05, 2008 8:10 am

price of a house to be built now has risen 15% to 20% this year
I would say at least this if the only increases had been in metal (40 - 50%) + cement (10 - 20%). Since prices are increasing on virtually everything I would say more like 30 - 40% as a estimate.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby thaifly » Mon May 05, 2008 8:49 am

dozer wrote:
I would say at least this if the only increases had been in metal (40 - 50%) + cement (10 - 20%). Since prices are increasing on virtually everything I would say more like 30 - 40% as a estimate.
gidday dozer ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM posting FROM THE COOLUM BEACH..SUNSHINE COAST Q.L.D AUSSIE where the weather is glorious and the red wine is as good thanks for your estimate...it took me back a bit at such a high price..but i would not argue on your figure ..as i have found out info in sydney..to support your price... it appears arcross the board at least in syd and thailand ..... ITS GOING FORA BEER OR TWO GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby Fritz » Mon May 05, 2008 3:01 pm

dozer wrote:

Hey everyone, I have been following this forum for a while now. Planning to buy ground and build a house in the near future but as I see this post I am definitely taken back by the price increases.

My question: As most of these prices count for metal and cement, how does this reflect on building a wooden house. We have plans building a wooden house based on concrete foundations of course.

What would be the price psqm for that?

Thanks a lot!

Fritz
Fritz

Postby dozer » Thu May 08, 2008 7:34 pm

One downside to a wood house is that you must be prepared to live at the ambient temperature -- hard to know how that will be in a few years! As far as the cost, it would be more expensive than a block or brick based house for sure, but a lot depends on the wood. If you search the site you'll see there are a lot of posts on wood prices, especially for used aged wood, which can run about 1,500 ++ per sq. meter.

Good luck....
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Fritz » Fri May 09, 2008 11:13 am

dozer wrote:One downside to a wood house is that you must be prepared to live at the ambient temperature -- hard to know how that will be in a few years! As far as the cost, it would be more expensive than a block or brick based house for sure, but a lot depends on the wood. If you search the site you'll see there are a lot of posts on wood prices, especially for used aged wood, which can run about 1,500 ++ per sq. meter.

Good luck....

Thanks, that's what I thought. I've had a look at some of those prefab teak wooden houses around uttaradit and the kanchanburi area. You'll end up paying 1,5 million for a relatively small 2 bedroom teak wooden house. I thought that was quite high, although it includes on site labor as well, so I wondered how much it would be to have one build without the prefab predicate.

I'll keep looking around, the owner of the land has decided she doesn't want to sell at this moment... bummer. But relatives say she will sell within a couple of weeks. And the land needs to be raised up anyway, so I have time enough.

Prices have definitely gone up, 120% on steel over the last year and a half. I wonder if it will stop after the Olympics. People say that China's Olympic building spree is one of the major price boosters in South East Asia....
Fritz

Postby thaifly » Tue May 27, 2008 1:11 pm

dozer wrote:
gidday to dozer and all....ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM..... just yesterday had a truck load of blue metal delivered.....price 2500 baht ....price feb 2008 ...2000...baht...25% increase....also had red label cement delivered at 145 baht a bag....feb 2008....115.baht a bag another 25% increase .... your 30 % to 40% estimate on costs on building a house is indeed becoming a reality...any commments????its a RIPPER OF A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby Nawty » Tue May 27, 2008 3:24 pm

Do you get the feeling that everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon and increasing their costs regardless if their product actually has any real cost increases or not.

I find 25% increases just to much to take for real and people are just using this as an excuse to put up their price of everything....no matter what.
Nawty

Postby thaifly » Wed May 28, 2008 3:25 pm

Nawty wrote:Do you get the feeling that everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon and increasing their costs regardless if their product actually has any real cost increases or not.

I find 25% increases just to much to take for real and people are just using this as an excuse to put up their price of everything....no matter what.
gidday nawty...its the thaifly from mae rim...as for the 25% increases not being real...well cobber u are in DISNEYLAND if u dont believe it...and whose up to the monkey business in thease increases ...who knows???? i just pay it and get on with the building...WARREN BUFFETT would nt know .... ITS A VERY MATERIAL GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby Nawty » Wed May 28, 2008 5:04 pm

Think you misunderstood...but never mind.

Increases are real...reason for accross the board 25% increases on absolutely everything....are not
Nawty

Postby thaifly » Thu May 29, 2008 12:02 pm

Nawty wrote:Think you misunderstood...but never mind.

Increases are real...reason for accross the board 25% increases on absolutely everything....are not
gidday nawty..its the thaifly from mae rim....misundrestood...i beg to differ.....my posting related to 25% increases was only blue metal and red label cement no mention at all of across the board prices increasing25%..but i did mention dozers estimate is becoming a reality.... thats all.. i fully get your drift cobber.....on this matter....its a hell of a gidday to all its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby jazzman » Sat May 31, 2008 5:46 pm

I have often noticed that in spite of the fact that building a house here in Thailand is incredibly cheap compared with western countries, (e.g. UK £200,000, Thailand £15,000), a great many people still expect far too much for too little money.

My conclusions are:

- If you can't afford to build a house in Thailand don't do it.
- Price increases, annoying as they are, still lend us a very low-cost, fairly high standard of living here (BUPA insurance UK £150 per month, BUPA Thailand £233 per year).
- So the answer is either put up and shut up, or forget the idea of building and living in LOS.
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:30 pm

jazzman wrote:I have often noticed that in spite of the fact that building a house here in Thailand is incredibly cheap compared with western countries, (e.g. UK £200,000, Thailand £15,000), a great many people still expect far too much for too little money.

My conclusions are:

- If you can't afford to build a house in Thailand don't do it.
- Price increases, annoying as they are, still lend us a very low-cost, fairly high standard of living here (BUPA insurance UK £150 per month, BUPA Thailand £233 per year).
- So the answer is either put up and shut up, or forget the idea of building and living in LOS.
gidday to the GREAT JAZZMAN... its the thaifly from maerim.....firstly WELCOME BACK TO THE C.T.H . FORUM...SPEAKING FOR MYSELF.... I HAVE MISSED YOUR POSTINGS since u been away...nice to have u back on board....and i loved the above posting ..... STRAIGHT TO THE POINT.... as i said a couple postings back ..... before i got into a nice duel WITH FELLOW COUNTRY MAN....THE LOVABLE NAWTY....i just pay for it and GET ON WITH THE BUILDING....INTERESTING TO NOTE......TH..that u mentioned in another posting that there is another hefty steel price in the near future ....may i asked what is the real reasons for the huge price increases in steel and other materials in 2008....finnally the GREAT JAZZMAN...i lugged a bottle of ROSEMONT MERLOT back from oz for u when u visit C/MAI IN THE FUTURE... is a very nice drop of red gidday to all ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby jazzman » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:16 am

Steel prices reflect the cost of fossil fuels:

- for firing the smelting furnaces and further heat treatments.

- transport.

The cost of petrol has gone up nearly 30 % while I have been away and is expected to hit 100 baht per litre by the end of the year.

I caught up on some excellent Châteaunefuf-du-pape, Gigondas, Vaqueras and and Cairanne while I was away. Look after that Merlot well - I hope to catch up with you soon :D
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:58 am

jazzman wrote:Steel prices reflect the cost of fossil fuels:

- for firing the smelting furnaces and further heat treatments.

- transport.

The cost of petrol has gone up nearly 30 % while I have been away and is expected to hit 100 baht per litre by the end of the year.

I caught up on some excellent Châteaunefuf-du-pape, Gigondas, Vaqueras and and Cairanne while I was away. Look after that Merlot well - I hope to catch up with you soon :D
gidday to the great jazzman.....its the thaifly from mae rim...many thanks for your reply....re...petrol prices at 100 baht a litre in my view not out of the equatiion at all...there have been several pundits on C.N.B.C. saying oil will be 150...to 200.dollars a barrell in the near future..one particular pundit was a aussie named peter mcintyre a very straight shooter if there was ever one and a good judge ...his view was UP UP UP ....AND COULD NOT PUT A CEILING ON IT....but the great jazzman..things have to stop somewhere????....on rising costs to building a house in chiang mai ... to update my photo gallery i use a internet shop in the city where chat the owner does the job for me i have known him for 7 yrs and he is indeed a lovely chap he just recently finished building his house.and he casually mentioned to me that i was a very lucky to get under the wire...as his builder has just told him ...THE PRICE OF BUILDING A HOUSE HAS RISEN 30% THIS YEAR on the average... and no end in sight..just another confirmation to most of the recent postings on this thread apart from NAUGHTY view...but as this is a forum...we do get a raft of views...and at the end of the day thats what it is all about..at times a different point of view...no worries about the ROSEMOUNT ITS IN KEEP SAFING. ALLTHOUGH AT TIMES i cast a greedy eye to it...its a petrol gidday to all its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

PreviousNext

Return to material prices & building costs