Price Increases Expected in 2008

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

inflation in building materials prices 2008

Postby thaifly » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:04 pm

its a gidday to dozer and all....dozer con grats on a fine post on main page..re the above subject..it surely vindicates that a modest house has risen at least.....22%.... across the board.. in 2008... as your audit suggests......looking through this thread which RICK . B. intellgiently alerted the forum of pending materials increase for 2008... apart from one post....all other posts have been on the money on this thread... last nite ..whilst having a HEINKEN OR TWO...in our sala ..i done a quick audit using my costs involved in our buildings...and todays prices...and i came to a 30% increase RULE OF THE THUMB... mind you....taking into careful consideration....of your audit and mine...i feel it would be a very a GOOD CALL.... for future home builders in thailand...to take on board a 25% to 35%....on their..oringnal estimates if done prior to MARCH 2008......its a DUX ?? OF A GIDDAY TO ALL its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Re: inflation in building materials prices 2008

Postby jazzman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:36 pm

A good suggestion ThaiFly.
It's always better to calculate on the high side and be happy about what might be saved, than to underestimate and run out of money :D

Unfortunately this still happens to many. I have a friend who spent 19 million building his house and he needs 3 milion to finish it. He has run out of money and is now trying to sell the unfinished house.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Re: Price Increases Expected in 2008

Postby dozer » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Thanks for picking up on the article, plan on blogging there as time allows.

As far as the estimate, for sure prices are surging upward, hopefully they might stabilize a bit here as the price of crude has fallen 33% in dollar terms.

Another note, the 22% estimate will vary between different builds, but probably is in the ballpark for most 'typical' projects. For example, it would be a lower percentage on a project which was super high end since expensive finishings have gone up less than the price of basic materials, especially steel.....
dozer
Site Admin

Re: Price Increases Expected in 2008

Postby thaifly » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:34 am

dozer wrote:
Another note, the 22% estimate will vary between different builds, but probably is in the ballpark for most 'typical' projects.
.....gidday dozer its the thaifly from mae rim.....yes i fully agree with you that prices will stabalize somewhat...but not come down much from your 22 % estimate..or not at all....for my way of thinking this thread is the most critical thread on C.T.H. THIS YEAR ...as it has given the members a pipeline on increases that they should take on board....when making their budgets for their house..and your excellent post has brought it up to date..on what has been A BRIDES NIGHTY of a year.....and still 4 months to go... ITS A UP AND DOWN GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Previous

Return to material prices & building costs