Price Increases Expected in 2008

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Price Increases Expected in 2008

Postby Rick B » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:54 am

Just heard from the HomeMart manager in Sam Chuk, Suphanburi, that many material prices will be increasing in the new year due to increasing fuel costs. I have recently seen a 10 baht increase in cement prices and they are expected to increase another 10 baht in January 2008. Similarly steel prices will increase considerably in January also. He also advised that he expects his competitors (HomePro, HomeWorks, etc.) will be increasing prices also. If you're in the process of building, it may be worthwhile to buy materials before the end of December.
Rick B

Postby dozer » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:39 pm

Yes, I heard something similar about cement and metal seems to be increasing all the time. With cement we made a quantity deal that they seem to be honoring (ie freezing the price) even though the prices to others have been going up. It it good to try to negotiate pricing if you buy in quantity.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby dozer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:20 pm

He also advised that he expects his competitors (HomePro, HomeWorks, etc.) will be increasing prices also. If you're in the process of building, it may be worthwhile to buy materials before the end of December.
This has turned out to be quite the case, cement hasn't gone up too much but metal, which has a profound impact on building costs, has shot up dramatically. One example, 12 mm steel SD30 (4 hun dem) rough, was 199 just about the new year, yesterday it was 225 and today it was 230.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby thaifly » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:46 pm

dozer wrote:
He also advised that he expects his competitors (HomePro, HomeWorks, etc.) will be increasing prices also. If you're in the process of building, it may be worthwhile to buy materials before the end of December.
This has turned out to be quite the case, cement hasn't gone up too much but metal, which has a profound impact on building costs, has shot up dramatically. One example, 12 mm steel SD30 (4 hun dem) rough, was 199 just about the new year, yesterday it was 225 and today it was 230.
gidday dozer...ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM.....steel prices...last nite viewing AUSTRALIA NETWORK....and downing the HEINKENS i am sure they said that the price of steel will rise ...40 PER CENT THIS YEAR ...any comments????? or did i have too many HEINKENS....and was imagining this???? ITS A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby dozer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:14 pm

Yeah, that is the funny thing -- it has already gone up by 15% in the first 2 weeks and they talk as if it will continue going up like this indefinitely. I was thinking (or should I say hoping) that it would only go up 20% or so, but 40% may be what it ends up being. I doubt it will go up 15% every two weeks though as that would over 300% on a annual basis.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby thaifly » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:08 pm

dozer wrote:Yeah, that is the funny thing -- it has already gone up by 15% in the first 2 weeks and they talk as if it will continue going up like this indefinitely. I was thinking (or should I say hoping) that it would only go up 20% or so, but 40% may be what it ends up being. I doubt it will go up 15% every two weeks though as that would over 300% on a annual basis.
gidday dozer....ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM.....whilst watching australia network news....on the idiot box ...last nite ..and only on my third large bottle of HEINKENS...so the following i heard was clear....STEEL PRICES....are expected to rise 70 PER CENT..BY THE END OF THE YEAR...china is the fly in the ointment...if this indeed happens...this will no doubt have a a substaiantly cost to building a house...but dozer how much??? ON GOOD BASIC HOUSE... WOULD IT BE....a rule of the thumb figure would only apply.... ITS A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM.
thaifly

Postby dozer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:28 pm

No I don't have an estimate, only that it is a major portion. I already see some projects around here starting to skip on metal. They are making their columns only 10 cm square, ha ha. I'm not sure what size the columns will be when metal doubles from here, I guess 5 cm.

70% THAT IS BAD NEWS! But better to be informed than surprised. So far this year it is up to 22.5% all in January!
dozer
Site Admin

Re: Price Increases Expected in 2008

Postby thaifly » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:25 pm

[quote="Rick B"]Just heard from the HomeMart manager in Sam Chuk, Suphanburi, that many material prices will be increasing in the new year due to increasing fuel costs. I have recently seen a 10 baht increase in cement prices and they are expected to increase another 10 baht in January 2008. Similarly steel prices will increase considerably in January also. He also advised that he expects his competitors (HomePro, HomeWorks, etc.) will be increasing prices also. If you're in the process of building, it may be worthwhile to buy materials before the end of December gidday rick b ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM.....gee u were spot on about the price increases.....i would love to have u alongside of me while i am having a punt u appear to be excellent judge on doing the FORM...ITS A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby thaifly » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:10 pm

dozer wrote:No I don't have an estimate, only that it is a major portion. I already see some projects around here starting to skip on metal. They are making their columns only 10 cm square, ha ha. I'm not sure what size the columns will be when metal doubles from here, I guess 5 cm.

70% THAT IS BAD NEWS! But better to be informed than surprised. So far this year it is up to 22.5% all in January!
GIDDAY DOZER its the thai fly from mae rim SOME MORE BAD NEWS ON MATERIAL PRICES had a truck load of sand delivered today ...it has always been ....1000 BAHT A LOAD....IT IS NOW 1200 BAHT A LOAD.... 20 PER CENT INCREASE...NOT A BAD HIKE IN ONE FOUL SWOOP .... things are not looking good in the materials area of building a house....ITS A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby dozer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:29 pm

Thanks for the update. I have found that indeed there is inflation going through the pipe line. Locally produced materials and especially transportation sensitive goods are increasing, but at a 'logical' rate. Yes I've seen dirt/sand/rock prices increase as you say. But still, metal is in a totally different category with it's exponentially price increase, last time I checked 25% in January alone.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby thaifly » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:59 am

dozer wrote:Thanks for the update. I have found that indeed there is inflation going through the pipe line. Locally produced materials and especially transportation sensitive goods are increasing, but at a 'logical' rate. Yes I've seen dirt/sand/rock prices increase as you say. But still, metal is in a totally different category with it's exponentially price increase, last time I checked 25% in January alone.
GIDDAY DOZER its the thai fly from mae ...another update .....steel prices..... again watching AUSTRALIA NETWORK.....program..... INSIDE BUSINESS. and indeed a very creditable program... they had a seg ment on the B.H.P....RIO TINTO ...take over where it was mentioned that steel prices will rise IN THE 35......TO.......75 PER CENT ...MARGIN......BEING A BETTING MAN . ... I FEEL..THIS CALL WILL GET THE MONEY ...its a big GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby thaifly » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:59 am

dozer wrote:Thanks for the update. I have found that indeed there is inflation going through the pipe line. Locally produced materials and especially transportation sensitive goods are increasing, but at a 'logical' rate. Yes I've seen dirt/sand/rock prices increase as you say. But still, metal is in a totally different category with it's exponentially price increase, last time I checked 25% in January alone.
....gidday dozer its the thaifly from mae rim i have noticed whilst building our sala or living room...which we started in DEC 07.....and have just finished...that some labour components daily rates have gone up DUE TO I FEEL INFLATIONERY PRESSURES AND SHORTAGE OF GOOD TRADESMEN IN OUR DISTRICT..... have u or for that matter anyone perhaps RICK B OR APTLEY who are now on the BATTLEFEILDS.... have or heard the same?????? ITS A CRACKER OF A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby dozer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Here in Pattaya labor rates have increased this year due to the tight market. However, from what I hear Bangkok + up country have remained about the same.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Rick B » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:53 pm

An update of price increases that I've recently experienced here in Jangwat Suphanburi. Cement, both Boon Seua and Boon Chang, have increased 12 baht per bag in the last two weeks, 10 baht from the cement company and an additional 2 baht tacked on by the local Home Mart for delivery. I'm now paying 127 a bag for Boon Seua and about 10 baht more for Boon Chang. I've also seen steady increases in steel. An example. I am using 4" channel iron for my roof tile supports. I bought the bulk of these in mid March at 495 baht per 6m length. I just bought some more the other day at 620 baht per 6m length. That's an additional 25%. Rebar of all sizes, 6mm, 9mm, 12mm, etc. has also recently increased between 12-15% since February. Even mild steel welding rods have increased 22% in the last two months. And it doesn't look like the increases are about to stop.
Rick B

Postby dozer » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks for the update on price increases. I found the exact same thing with cement, we got hit with a 10 baht/bag increase about 10 days ago. Also, as far as steel, since the beginning of the year until last week the 6mm steel rebar full has increased from 50 baht to 68 baht (36 % increase in 4 months).

Prices on finished houses should be increasing shortly.
dozer
Site Admin

Next

Return to material prices & building costs