Wood flooring

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Wood flooring

Postby thaifly » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:46 pm

gidday thomas...its the thaifly from mae rim...we had our floors laid some 18 months ago..very simarlar to yours...recently there has been some give in a few very small areas..nothing major..but none the less there is some give..i have been monitoring the situation closely.....and at this stage..it remains STATUS QUAO...whether this is due to faulty work..or weather conditions...WHO KNOWS...??????.....in your case my main concern would be that your floor has only just been laid...a very good mate of mine..who is in the process of his build opted for marble floors in lieu of timber..for this very reason...its A TIMBER FLOOR GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby thomas.fontaine » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:31 pm

That is not good news. I am sure we will never be able to claim from the installation guy, he will always pretend that parquet was not good quality. If my remedial work trick is not working (and I think it will not as I just realised that parquet was glued and nailed, so giving more space on the edge will not help) then I envisaged to remove everything and start all over again. Expected cost: below 10k that we will offset from last Builder payment.
thomas.fontaine

Postby thomas.fontaine » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:27 pm

Here is a picture of the wooden floor problem...

038-r.JPG
One of the bedroom had many of those

...before the builder fixed it yesterday (temporarily or definitely?) by removing the pieces and glue/nail them again.
thomas.fontaine

Postby geordie » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:46 am

Thomas looking at the picture of the wood lifting it actually looks like its curling how long did the floor underneath have to dry before laying is it posible damp under the flooring
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby thaifly » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:23 am

thomas.fontaine wrote:
...before the builder fixed it yesterday (temporarily or definitely?) by removing the pieces and glue/nail them again.
gidday to thomas its the thaifly from mae rim..i would say that will probably do the trick..i hope????...i was at JIRUNG HEALTH VILLAGE YESTERDAY..where they have recently finished a wooden conference room.. there floors were laid with timber planks ..not the same as ours ..i explained to the contractor of our problems...he said at times this a common occurrence due to weather conditions and at times faulty work..but confirmed what you are doing will eventually solve your problem...hope this will make you feel better...ITS A doctor of a GIDDAY ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby Ozode » Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm

I have been looking for wood flooring for our condo in Bangkok for a while. I have looked at a lot of places, Bong Po for one. Most of which have better pricing that Home Pro. This is our third condo that we have refinished and Home Pro is probably the last place I would go to get anything, because their prices are so high. What I have found though on Wood Flooring is that if you contact a wholesaler then you can usually get a much better price. Some wholesalers have minimum order quantities on stuff, but even if the minimum order quantity is higher than what you are wanting for your house and you can't buy from them they can usually tell you where to go. Also, there are some brokers that work in Bangkok that will add you to another order when they have it, some even have inventory and they will sell you that. This is not the west, in Thailand Wholesalers will sell about the same as a retailer.

If you are looking for Mai Saat or Teak, then my suggestion is take your next visa run to Nong Kai and look at some of the dealers in Laos. They usually buy direct from burma and sell it at a really cheap price. If you buy Teak in Bangkok the wholesalers are retailers will sell you short boards for a premium price. You might even think about posting some messages on some boards such as this and doing some group buying, if you cant find a dealer that will sell you less than a container load. Once again I would suggest going to a broker for this. I know a few, the one that I used is a local company Muangthai Woodcrafts, which imports some stuff from overseas and sells into stores. They hold some inventory, but they can get a lot of stuff if you are willing to wait for their next order to get it. You can save some serious cash with this company, but sometimes dealing with an importer can be inconvenient as well. In our case we put Bamboo flooring in the condo we are in now, and that had that in stock, but my friend used them to buy some Red Oak and he had to wait about 8 weeks to get the flooring, because they had to order it from the US. Still he got grade A Oak for 1,000 THB per sqm, compared with 2200 THB a sqm, which he was quoted at Bong Po.

You can also do this with other products as well. I know there is a company here that is bringing in wood panel, HDF and PVC doors from China, which we have used as well. I will post their information later when I get it out of our files.
Ozode

Postby Ozode » Fri May 01, 2009 12:58 pm

OK Contact information for the following products:

Wood Flooring Muangthai Woodcrafts Co., Ltd. Location Bangkok Area Contact Khun Ae 081-8329288 (They speak English) (Note this company sells a lot, we have just started doing business with them, so if you need anything else you might want to ask them if they have it. They are also a new company so they are building their local inventory, so they might have more in stock than just Bamboo and Laminate by the time you call.)

Tile Siam Tak Co., Ltd. Location Bangkok Area Contact Sales department 081-306-3463 (They speak Thai)
(This company usually sells to contractors, but they were willing to sell a small amount to us. They have good prices on Tile, better than we found in the retail stores.)

Doors and Cabinets Company Name: Unknown Location Bang Po (Bangkok) Contact Khun Kasim Sii 02-993-2769 (She speaks Thai)
(This is a retail store, but she does not mark up the prices very much. Her prices are not much different than the wholesale prices and she also has people the install stuff. In her case you should check with her, but look at other places as well, because sometimes she is cheaper and sometimes she is not. It depends on where she buys the stuff.)
Ozode

Postby libranmale51 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:15 pm

Thomas did you fix your problem floor? If it only buckled up in one area possible causes is moisture from beneath, were damp course failed, another possible cause is not allowing for expansion when moisture content in the air changed, normal board should be on site for a month or two prior to laying, allowing 10 to 15mm expansion against walls is required.
libranmale51

Postby libranmale51 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:33 pm

ps...if assuming floor has been layed correctly with correct glues an sealers etc..then you shouldn't have that problem, but you do, since you cant know if installer has used the right glue or even the correct method of installation......then the only option left for you is by removing the skirting boards to check if there is enough room for expansion, if moisture raises in the air and the floor is not total sealed from it it will move the boards..timber moves with the moisture content in the air, i think if you call up your supplier they should have specifications, i would quiz your installer on what he did and see if they match...but im very confident you have a lack of expansion or the floor beneath hasnt been sealed correctly...if a lot of it is warping id be very worried.
By the way the glue is designed to move with the board.
libranmale51

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:43 am

When I installed my last wood floor in Canada the suppler told me a small gap around the perimeter of the flooring was necessary. This floor was tongue and groove floating on thin foam glued together and not nailed down. Thomas did your wife ever get the gap cut around edge of flooring? The cutting of a gap in floor should fix your problem. Nice looking wood by the way. It really is surprising just how much wood moves as is absorbs moisture.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Previous

Return to material prices & building costs