Wood flooring

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Wood flooring

Postby somdet » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:54 am

I am trying to find some prices for wood flooring. I was at HomePro yesterday where they have solid wood flooring for 1890 baht/ sq. m. and a two piece (wood and some kind of composite) kind that is 1690 bt/sq.m.. Then they have a whole range of laminates which are around 800 bt./sq.m. Anybody know of any other places or prices for wood flooring?

I see Jazzman and his wife found some undetermined Chinese wood suitable for flooring at 540 bt/sq.m. I wonder was it finished flooring ready to be laid? Or would more work have to be done to before it could fulfill its destiny?

Any others?
somdet

Re: Wood flooring

Postby thaifly » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:36 pm

somdet wrote:I am trying to find some prices for wood flooring. I was at HomePro yesterday where they have solid wood flooring for 1890 baht/ sq. m. and a two piece (wood and some kind of composite) kind that is 1690 bt/sq.m.. Then they have a whole range of laminates which are around 800 bt./sq.m. Anybody know of any other places or prices for wood flooring?

I see Jazzman and his wife found some undetermined Chinese wood suitable for flooring at 540 bt/sq.m. I wonder was it finished flooring ready to be laid? Or would more work have to be done to before it could fulfill its destiny?

Any others?
GIDDAY SOMDET...ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM....i just happen to be online and i can give u my price i got in C/MAI just recently ....500 BAHT A SQ METER ...A... GRADE HARD WOOD,,,, EACH PEICE HAS DIFFERENT GRAINS..when my builder laid them he has come up with a sensational pattern FAIR DINKUM,,, THEY LOOK AS GOOD... BRITT EKLAND IN HER HEY DAY but be warned there are extra costa to be added on ......preparation of floor ...staining etc....etc.....but in my view it plays any type of tile off the break ..... i have read your postings and i personallly wish you the very best of luck ....u have appeared to have done your homework...to make the odds in your favour ...so maty throw the dice... and hope u have engaged a good builder... i have a gut feeling u wiill be a success.. ITS A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby somdet » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:20 pm

Thanks Thaifly. I wonder what the cost of going up to ChiangMai and bringing down 60sq. meters of that would be???
somdet

Postby dozer » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:18 pm

500 BAHT A SQ METER ...A... GRADE HARD WOOD,,,, EACH PEICE HAS DIFFERENT GRAINS
Thaifly - can you get the Thai name of the wood, very good price indeed.

Teak and MaKaw wood here in Pattaya is very expensive, 1200 + per sq meter. The laminates can be bought at Global House for about 1/2 the homepro prices. There is supposed to be a Global House opening in Chonburi later in the year.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby grant » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:41 am

Stranded bamboo flooring is about 1600 baht per square meter (without negotiation), comes prefinshed, looks beautiful and is harder than hardwood. It's also sustainable unlike any of the hardwood flooring used in Thailand. If you're using hardwoods, keep in mid you're contributing to deforestation that is rampant in Indonesia and Myanmar where most of it comes from. What little hardwood that comes from Thailand is not sustainable either. There is some teak that comes from sustainable forests in Indonesia (if you can find it) but this teak is harvested long before it acquires it's desirable properties which is about 50 years.
grant

Postby jazzman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:01 am

somdet wrote:I see Jazzman and his wife found some undetermined Chinese wood suitable for flooring at 540 bt/sq.m. I wonder was it finished flooring ready to be laid? Or would more work have to be done to before it could fulfill its destiny?

It would have needed sanding with a mechanical push-along sander after laying, and staining, or glazing.

It was not for us. Our house did not need the extra expense on that kind of luxury. Nice if you can afford it though, and go to the expense of a 2,000 km round trip to fetch it. We actually located it due to a request from a previous CTH poster (with no intention of making money out of the deal). It was on the Western by-pass between Bang BuaThong and Ban Pha Inn which is on our way when we travel between Samphran and Isaan.
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:10 pm

dozer wrote:
500 BAHT A SQ METER ...A... GRADE HARD WOOD,,,, EACH PEICE HAS DIFFERENT GRAINS
Thaifly - can you get the Thai name of the wood, very good price indeed.

Teak and MaKaw wood here in Pattaya is very expensive, 1200 + per sq meter. The laminates can be bought at Global House for about 1/2 the homepro prices. There is supposed to be a Global House opening in Chonburi later in the year.
GIDDAY DOZER.....its the thaifly from mae rim..... appologies for not getting back to u earlier.......as i am living in the sticks ....no landline ...no computer ready at hand ...a mere price to pay for living in a beautiful rural setting .... the place where i bouht all my flooring....doors....and stairs,,,and bannister...and balcony railings iS.....SUKSAVAD TIMBER C/MAI ....MANAGING DIRECTOR....JARUWAN CHAROENSUK....T/NO....016710330...SHE IS LOVELY LADY....AND HER BUSINESS IS FIRST CLASS...no two ways about it ...it would have to be the biggest timber merchant in c/mai...has a huge range of timber etc...and the huge plus is the same price for all ....u could be a martian...and u would get the same price..they gave me a small discount for for receiving a very good order it was around 160.000 baht in total..getting back to my flooring...it was AAA....HARDWOOD each slat...has different grains and colours in a big way but DOZER when laid... and stained 3 times i might add by a pro stainer i engaged to do all my woodwork only....he did nt come EL CHEAPO....but he was master at his work.. and the finished product was worth the extra money spent...as i said in my previos posting ...LOOKS AS GOOD AS BRITT EKLAND IN HER HEY DAY. U WILL SEE pictures of the woodwork when i get my building story off the ground again....i am just short of time at the moment....trust i have been of help....ITS A GIDDAY TO ALL ...ITS THE THAILY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby thaifly » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:24 pm

jazzman wrote:
somdet wrote:I see Jazzman and his wife found some undetermined Chinese wood suitable for flooring at 540 bt/sq.m. I wonder was it finished flooring ready to be laid? Or would more work have to be done to before it could fulfill its destiny?

It would have needed sanding with a mechanical push-along sander after laying, and staining, or glazing.

It was not for us. Our house did not need the extra expense on that kind of luxury. Nice if you can afford it though, and go to the expense of a 2,000 km round trip to fetch it. We actually located it due to a request from a previous CTH poster (with no intention of making money out of the deal). It was on the Western by-pass between Bang BuaThong and Ban Pha Inn which is on our way when we travel between Samphran and Isaan.
'.
ITS A GIDDAY TO U JAZZMAN...ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM... yes u are again correct as usual...it needed sanding .....BUT NOT WITH A SANDER....all was done by hand... and three times ...hard work on the knees i bet ... DOZER I WILL TRY AND GET THE THAI NAME FOR THAT HARDWOOD and get back to u ....ITS A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby somdet » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:01 pm

My contrcator has come up with 800 baht/ sq. m., installed, xylia xylocarpa, commonly known as pyinkado or mai dang here in Thailand. It is a termite resistant hardwood with a reddish color. The flooring will be 4m planks, roughly 12.5 cm wide. I think I am gonna go for it. Thanks for all of your input.
somdet

Postby thaifly » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:50 am

somdet wrote:My contrcator has come up with 800 baht/ sq. m., installed, xylia xylocarpa, commonly known as pyinkado or mai dang here in Thailand. It is a termite resistant hardwood with a reddish color. The flooring will be 4m planks, roughly 12.5 cm wide. I think I am gonna go for it. Thanks for all of your input.
GIDDAY SOMDET its the thaifly from mae rim...... thats a very fair price..simarlar to my all up costs.... of my wood floor which was 100 sq meters ITS A GIDDAY TO ALL ...ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby Nawty » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 pm

Also called redwood.

We thinking to use it for decking, but might not. Would like to see some pics of the redwood floor when finished.

We are laying Makah, a very nice fine grained wood and have had prices of between 1450 and 1900 installed for it in Bangkok. Several prices more expensive also. This is 4 or 6" and 1.5m lengths.
Nawty

Redwood / MaDaeng

Postby TC » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:19 am

hey Somdet or anyone else with local redwood floors if you have pics would love to see. We had some old madaeng growin on our land. Now cut & on blocks under the in-laws house seasoning until we build. Would love to see the finish, did you go high-gloss or traditional buff?
TC

Postby somdet » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:44 am

We're not there yet. I will post pictures when the floors go down.
somdet

Postby thomas.fontaine » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:36 pm

Thought that might be of some help for some of you thinking about buying parquet

023-r.JPG
Mai daeng - 1,300 bahts per s.m. - will be installed in the master bedroom

022-r.JPG
Mai teng - 600 bahts per s.m. - will be installed in the other bedrooms

Mai daeng is definitely worth the money for those who are ready to pay the price. It looks beautiful, both in the picture and in real. The Mai teng one doesn't look so nice before final coat but I have seen it installed next door after the glossy finish and it actually looked ok.
thomas.fontaine

Postby thomas.fontaine » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:50 am

We encountered our first, and hopefully last, problem with our house construction yesterday: in the small bedroom the wooden floor is waving. I haven't seen the pictures yet but my wife told me that they had few rainy days last week in Khon Kaen, so I suspect the problem is due to the expansion of the wooden floor under wet and warm conditions and not enough void betwwen wooden floor and the walls left during installation.

I told my wife to cut 1cm of the wooden floor edge all around the room to allow the floor to "breathe" a bit.

Does anyone has any other suggestion?
thomas.fontaine

Next

Return to material prices & building costs