An anecdotal approach to SEPTIC TANKS (illustrated)

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: An anecdotal approach to SEPTIC TANKS (illustrated)

Postby Shastadad » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:17 am

You also need to buy some bacteria additive to help the process. Available in most DYI stores and large supermarkets here in Thailand

Bactocel.png
Shastadad

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:07 am

Shastadad wrote:You also need to buy some bacteria additive to help the process. Available in most DYI stores and large supermarkets here in Thailand

Common myth.

Ther's enough bacteria in human solid output for the process. The bacteria additive is just a waste of money.

The only thing you do need to do/not do is not to use strong chemical toilet cleaners specially the bactericide ones as they can kill off the bacteria in the septic tank.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:02 am

I agree with Sometime additives are not required. As for the dishwasher all grey water it should go into a separate tank. Normally this tank in a Moban has an overflow discharging to the storm drain.

I’m sure most people here use the bum spray then just dry their butt with tissue seems to me the most sanitary way.

My connection to CTH is terrible this morning not as thought there is a large load. Makes it just about not worth answering posts . :roll:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:07 am

My late mate who had the townhouse in Phuket with septic tank problems was also one of a whole row of new townhouses built in an area where houses etc; were being built on very small plots of land . I never thought of it at the time,being just on a few days visit.But I have no idea what sort of system had been put in to get rid of the overflow from the tank, there were no gardens as such for each unit to have any absorbent areas as septics usually require,it was just concrete everywhere, maybe they required pumping out regularly.
Mike Judd

Postby MGV12 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:43 am

I have seen many an installation here ... some for quite expensive houses ... that are major problems in the making: Two tanks made from concrete rings ... one with a sealed bottom for the black-water and the overflow going to a second open-bottomed tank along with the grey-water. The second tank installed on top of maybe a foot of crushed rock ... no leach field. Yes it works ... for a while ... eventually the rock and/or the small area of 'leach' under the tank becomes clogged. Only one real option as the 'fluids' begin to back up! MAJOR upheaval and a proper installation to replace it ... original contractor long gone and not too many others will be jumping at the chance to do the necessary.

The vast majority of buyers wouldn't have even thought about it when buying the property. 'How is the effluent treated and is the system sustainable?' not something you often see on buyers guides or check-lists.

"It's a great location darling and I do so love the garden, and that it has a jacuzzi and lots of closet space ... but ... what happens to our shite?"

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:08 pm

for the gray shower and sink water, I was thinking of having it directed to a separate tank, a grease trap to mechanically remove some of the grease , then having the water leach in to the ground, with the addition of pumping some of it , with a submersible pump,and spraying it on the grass. the only concern I have is that it will smell,
what do you guys think.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:22 am

sirineou wrote:for the gray shower and sink water, I was thinking of having it directed to a separate tank, a grease trap to mechanically remove some of the grease , then having the water leach in to the ground, with the addition of pumping some of it , with a submersible pump,and spraying it on the grass. the only concern I have is that it will smell,
what do you guys think.

One potential problem is soaps & detergents ... they tend to be strong here due to the tendency to wash everything in cold water. Many of the ingredients in these stronger products can be toxic to plant life.

This has some useful information http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/grey ... etergents/

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Mike Judd » Wed May 14, 2014 5:11 pm

Just a query on septic tanks if anyone knows. What is the usual practice when the top of the tank ends up ,as in my case, about 1 mt below the ground level. Do you just bury it and hope there are no problems ,or extend the lid up to the required level with a tube of some sorts.? It has an overflow to a series of concrete rings a bit further along that are surrounded by gravel with a lid at ground level.
Mike Judd

Postby fredlk » Wed May 14, 2014 5:26 pm

Mike Judd wrote:What is the usual practice when the top of the tank ends up ,as in my case, about 1 mt below the ground level. Do you just bury it and hope there are no problems ,or extend the lid up to the required level with a tube of some sorts.

2 of mine were buried below ground level and so they built a concrete box around the opening extending it up to deck level and covered the whole with a lid.
IMG_6068.JPG

IMG_6599.JPG

IMG_6824.JPG

IMG_6859.JPG
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Wed May 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Agreed, you can get away with a small brass screw lid. As long as a 4" pump hose fits through, you're fine.
That's what I have on grey and black tanks in both houses. Used to be the concrete covers.
schuimpge

Postby BKKBILL » Wed May 14, 2014 10:15 pm

schuimpge wrote:Agreed, you can get away with a small brass screw lid. As long as a 4" pump hose fits through, you're fine.
That's what I have on grey and black tanks in both houses. Used to be the concrete covers.

Did the same on both our septic tanks 4" PVC pipe and brass screw top. Had to replace one brass top after it got mangled with the mower; left it a tad high.
BKKBILL

Postby Mike Judd » Thu May 15, 2014 7:28 pm

O.K. That sounds the way to go, but just how did you connect the pipe to the tank lid. With mine there is a ring that looks as if it gets to be bolted to the tank which allows the lid to be twisted until locked on. Did you just cut a 100m.m. Dia hole in the lid and glue the pipe in with maybe a flange of sorts to stop it pushing down further. .?
Mike Judd

Postby BKKBILL » Thu May 15, 2014 10:35 pm

. Mike my tank had a 4" clean out and that thread was the same size as a female 4" pipe thread so just used a male to hub ABS adaptor.
BKKBILL

Postby Mike Judd » Fri May 16, 2014 7:08 am

I will have to look around to see if there are different lids for those black tanks,as I said mine is about 500m.m dia that locks into the ring provided that has tiny screw holes in it to I presume you suppose to drill holes in the tank to correspond and bolt lt on or use self taping screws??
Mike Judd

Postby thailazer » Fri May 16, 2014 7:28 am

Mike Judd wrote:I will have to look around to see if there are different lids for those black tanks,as I said mine is about 500m.m dia that locks into the ring provided that has tiny screw holes in it to I presume you suppose to drill holes in the tank to correspond and bolt lt on or use self taping screws??

Our Hero tank came with a plastic ring for the lid that is intended to be on the top surface of a laid concrete pad that sits on top of any concrete extender you put in. (The lid fits directly on the tank and on this supplied ring.) I haven't done that yet as I wanted the fill around the tank to settle a bit. Will do this after the coming rainy season.
thailazer

PreviousNext

Return to water and plumbing