An anecdotal approach to SEPTIC TANKS (illustrated)

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: An anecdotal approach to SEPTIC TANKS (illustrated)

Postby oil » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:07 pm

great thread, exactly i was looking for, subscribed :D
oil

Postby thailazer » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:12 pm

"Just flush... Leave the rest to us."

(Sign on a pump out truck in the USA. On the other side it said the company name and "Come watch our hoses dance." I suppose if you are up to your nickers in crap all day you might as well have a sense of humor about it!)

Seriously though... Here is what our system looked like when it was installed three years ago. Has been working smoothly since......

http://teakdoor.com/construction-in-thailand/115255-septic-tank.html#post2222819
thailazer

Postby Psychic » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Most people place the septic tanks as close to the toilet as possible. If the pipe has to run around 30 feet, does this present any problems with a 4" pipe unvented as its only got the one toilet connected? And would it be 1/4" per foot slope?
Psychic

Postby thailazer » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:49 am

Psychic wrote:Most people place the septic tanks as close to the toilet as possible. If the pipe has to run around 30 feet, does this present any problems with a 4" pipe unvented as its only got the one toilet connected? And would it be 1/4" per foot slope?

Have always had long runs back in the USA, and as long you have consistent downslope it should be no problem. We have two toilets connected and our run is just about 30 feet to get it on the other side of the driveway. I verified the slope with a carpenters level on every section. Some building codes in the west specify as little as 1/8 inch per foot by the way but most are 1/4 inch per foot as you state.
thailazer

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:13 am

Psychic wrote:Most people place the septic tanks as close to the toilet as possible. If the pipe has to run around 30 feet, does this present any problems with a 4" pipe unvented as its only got the one toilet connected?

One of mine runs for 15 metres under the ceiling before there is a 90 degree bend that has a vent at the top of the bend. They are available from all or most hardware stores. The vent looks like a nipple at the top of the bend. If you're interested I can post a photo, but I'm not sure where you're putting it in.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Psychic » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:29 am

Thank. I'm just talking with my BIL and I want to pour a 20x20 slab around the future build. We were talking about where to put the septics. One will be close to the edge of the slab and can go into the ground outside. He wanted to plant the other one near the other bathroom where it would be in the cement. This sounded like a very bad idea to me if there were issues down the line. Thus I wanted a longer run to the outside ground. I didn't think it would be a problem. I guess I'll just improvise some kind of clean out where it exits the cement.
Psychic

Postby wwwbkkaptcom » Fri May 26, 2017 9:42 pm

Hello,

Can I know how much it will cost for a house of 1 bathroom 1 toilet for 3 people ?

Thanks.
wwwbkkaptcom

Postby kmanonmaui » Sat May 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Psychic wrote:Most people place the septic tanks as close to the toilet as possible. If the pipe has to run around 30 feet, does this present any problems with a 4" pipe unvented as its only got the one toilet connected? And would it be 1/4" per foot slope?

No. I do not believe the length of the run present any problems...my house in the US is more than 20 meters from the tanks, we have three baths in the main house and one in the cottage, all going to the same tank; no venting in the run whatsoever, but I'm still trying to understand why venting the line is necessary so I will defer to the more experienced on that part. BTW, the quantity of toilets doesn't matter. It is the quantity of usage and type of usage...nothing but body fluids is the best; little bit of T/P not really an issue, but get an American women that is shy about wrapping her monthly in T/P and putting in the trash rather than flushing...well, you'll be pumping it out or snaking it out some day.

However: I highly recommend putting in periodic clean-outs with no more than 45 degree bends (less if possible) so that if you do back-up you can easily snake the clog out.
kmanonmaui

Postby olavhome » Sun May 28, 2017 12:24 pm

We have a distanse for about 17 meters and been without any problem since new a year ago.
Also use toilet paper.
The important issue is slope, at least 3 cm pr meter.
Ventilation is important to avoid bad smell from toilet when you push the button, because when all the water enters the pipe, the air inside has to easy go away.
I told my Builder i liked the ventilation go over the roof, which he also (reluctantly) did, but also (when im not there) put extra ventilation on septic tank (thai style:-) )
olavhome

Postby Rudeboy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:56 pm

How do you go about making the holes for the 4" pipes in the concrete rings? do you just knock through the rings then cement around the pipe or can you get them made with the holes already in them?
Rudeboy

Postby canopy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:11 am

The pipe slope for 4" pipe should be much shallower than people have recommended. It should be 1/8" per foot (just 1cm per meter). This works better than steeper slopes and is less prone to clogging because a bigger, stronger surge is able to pile up behind any obstructions and push it down the line which is especially important with today's low water use toilets. This is not a Thailand specific question. Things like this you should just look it up from a reputable source rather than risk uninformed answers here.
canopy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:14 am

Rudeboy wrote:How do you go about making the holes for the 4" pipes in the concrete rings?

Yes that's it.
Sometimewoodworker

Previous

Return to water and plumbing