Mains water, water Tank, pump and filter

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Mains water, water Tank, pump and filter

Postby Caps » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:18 am

I am starting to plan a build in a village near Chum Phae, the area where we are going to be building has a mains supply which seems relatively constant. The house will house 4 to 5 people. I was thinking of putting a 2000/3000 litre tank a pump and a filter, these will be between the mains water supply and the house. I am not sure about the mains water pressure
The filter is not to make the water drinkable, its just to take a lot of the crap out of it as I have found a lot of green gunge in the twin tub we bought awhile ago and I dont want the same thing happening again when I my new washing machine or for it to interfere with the shower etc.

Has anyone got any ideas on the best way round to but all this together? i.e. Filter first or last etc.
What is a recommended water pump size? It will have to push the water up to 2 meters high as we are building on concret pillars.
Is the water tank size adequate?
Is there anyother relevant info for what I may need to do

Thanks

Wayne
Caps

Re: Mains water, water Tank, pump and filter

Postby Klondyke » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:19 pm

Caps wrote: I was thinking of putting a 2000/3000 litre tank a pump and a filter, these will be between the mains water supply and the house. I am not sure about the mains water pressure
Wayne

Nothing between the mains and your storage tank should be installed. You are not allowed to pull anything directly from the mains pipes. (Recently, there was here a thread about that).

The tank will get slowly filled in during nights, so you will be able to take the water out by the automatic pump from the tank and push it thru a filter into your house.

There are plenty of automatic pumps (Mitsubishi, etc) at every hardware shop, any smaller size will be OK for your house and garden.

The filter should be something like this:
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:21 pm

^ Every village "chaang papaa" will know what you will need and how to install it. Just let the wife ask around.
Klondyke

Postby Caps » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:40 am

Klondyke wrote:
Caps wrote: I was thinking of putting a 2000/3000 litre tank a pump and a filter, these will be between the mains water supply and the house. I am not sure about the mains water pressure
Wayne

Nothing between the mains and your storage tank should be installed. You are not allowed to pull anything directly from the mains pipes. (Recently, there was here a thread about that).

The tank will get slowly filled in during nights, so you will be able to take the water out by the automatic pump from the tank and push it thru a filter into your house.

There are plenty of automatic pumps (Mitsubishi, etc) at every hardware shop, any smaller size will be OK for your house and garden.

The filter should be something like this:

Thanks Klondkye, so the layout will be, mains water to my water tank, then the pump from the water tank and then the filter before the the pipe goes into the house?

Wayne
Caps

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:31 am

Caps wrote:Thanks Klondkye, so the layout will be, mains water to my water tank, then the pump from the water tank and then the filter before the the pipe goes into the house?

Wayne

That is the generally used system. There is one point that you may want to consider and that is that if the water supply pressure is usually, or sometimes, good then you could have a pipe that will bypass the tank.

IMG_3167.JPG
Standard Thai labelled layout

IMG_3168.JPG
English labelled layout

The exact location of your filter will be dependant on the clarity or otherwise of your incoming supply.

It could be placed between the pump and pump valve 2, then you would not filter the direct from village supply. This is only works if you have a pressurised filter.

If you want a non pressurised system then the layout becomes a bit more complicated.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Caps » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 am

Thanks Sometimewoodworker, yes I was thinking of putting the filter beween the pump and the house. I will have to ensure I get a pressurised filter...any suggestions? Again I dont want it filtered for drinking, just to make it decent water so we dont get things like washing machines and shower clogged up with green slime etc

Thanks

Wayne
Caps

Postby Klondyke » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:37 am

The pressurized filter is the blue thing on the previously enclosed picture, As I said, any plumber in the village will know where to get it from, price 8,000 - 12,000 Baht. Or you can look in Global House or similar, they have it too, even in stainless steel.
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:47 am

Speaking about "green slime"? That's quite unusual in municipal water system. Rather you should get a rusty water (Saanim), if the water source is underground.

If something green appears, it could mean algae presence. That could be a case when the water is taken from a large surface pond without much treatment.

Anyway, whatever a filter/pump system you will install, a frequent addition of a small amount of chlorine into the storage tank is advisable. To kill bacteria in the water standing over long time period without much move movement, avoiding algae growing as well.
Klondyke

Postby Caps » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks for the answers guys.
I will have a look in to the adding the Chlorine to the water tank

wayne
Caps

Return to water and plumbing