Sump Pump- for Basement Toilet

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Sump Pump- for Basement Toilet

Postby kmanonmaui » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi y'all,

Wondering if anyone has come across a product that is used extensively in the US, a sump pump. Not a submersible one, per se as that is not required, but one that gathers about 20 odd flushes from a toilet and then pushes the "sh*t" upwards in a 3"-4" pipe.

Have one in our house in Hawaii and it works great as our basement there is below grade and we need to get the "sh*t" up and into the exiting sewage/septic line.

Haven't come across one on my many visits to the local Udon "Big Box" stores, but perhaps I am not either looking in the right areas or asking the correct questions. Just hoping I don't need to try and pack such a large animal in my suitcase or pay 300% above cost to have one shipped here.

Thanks in advance,
-k-
kmanonmaui

Re: Sump Pump- for Basement Toilet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:43 am

Just a thought.

When designing a non-standard house in Thailand it is a really good idea to be sure that everything needed for the design to work is available locally or where to get it from.

On your point. A sump-pump is designed to pump water not toilet waste, so to find the kind of pump you want you will need to know it's correct name in English :? (I don't know what it's called) because you are going to have to search in Australian British or Chinese web sights for 220V~250V pumps and they don't usually use American to describe the products. An alternative possibility would be a 12V or 24V version if it is made.

Very few houses in Thailand have basements and of those even fewer (none of the ones I know of) have a toilet in them. This suggests that the pump you want may not be sold in Thailand.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:11 am

There is surely something like this in Thailand, however, not easily available on the shelves. You might see a small truck with a tank coming on a request at a municipality office to make such shitty work (for a negotiable obolus). They are equipped with a long flexible hose ca. 4" to reach the openings of the house sump. And I was always wondering what kind of pump they have since the sucking proceeds without any delay, no problem with an air bubbles as usually the case at sucking is.

So, no need to design an own equipment for such sucking, just enquire where to make a request, think where such smelly truck can be parked and have the access free for the long hose.
Klondyke

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:25 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:When designing a non-standard house in Thailand it is a really good idea to be sure that everything needed for the design to work is available locally or where to get it from.

But my hindsight is 20/20 :D

Sometimewoodworker wrote:On your point. A sump-pump is designed to pump water not toilet waste, so to find the kind of pump you want you will need to know it's correct name in English

Perhaps true, but my brother, a master plumber that put ours in for our house in Hawaii, called it this. It does not have a macerator or anything like that. Really just a big self-contained bucket that when it reach a certain level pumps out it's contents with pressure.
kmanonmaui

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:10 pm

I was curious, so I just called my brother. He said it is called a sump pump, in the US, but that there are different types of sump pumps, some for clear water and some for waste water. I looked around a bit and believe that they are more accurately called a Sewage Ejector Pump.
kmanonmaui

Postby Ians » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:42 pm

Google Saniflo, this is what you are looking for, however - I have no idea if they are available in Thailand. Maybe email the company and ask.
Ians

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23 pm

Ians wrote:Google Saniflo, this is what you are looking for, however - I have no idea if they are available in Thailand. Maybe email the company and ask.

Thanks Ians, yes this company offers a brand of what I am looking for, but really don't need the macerating function.

I pretty much resigned now to shipping one from the US, and running a 110v/115v circuit for it, unless I backasswardly stumble across one in the meantime. Costly, but like Jerome stated, I should have thought about this in advance.

It's okay. I had to ship in thermostatic switches, a quality oven temp. prob and several other things, so I'm getting used to paying the big bucks for my "desires". Probably my funniest was some good quality padlocks for our main storage/staging building on the build (locks that are 10x more solid than I've found here and you can remove the key without locking). My foreman said, essentially, "Wow, those are really good locks! Anyone wanting to steal your materials will choose to break the hinges, much easier than those locks!". Duh!
kmanonmaui

Postby Ians » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:30 am

Check for an Australian agent for this product, it will be 220/240 V 50Hz, or ask the question with the US supplier.
Ians

Postby kmanonmaui » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:43 pm

Ians wrote:Check for an Australian agent for this product, it will be 220/240 V 50Hz, or ask the question with the US supplier.

Thanks Ians,
I've emailed the manufacture of the one we use in the US (https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Pumps-P372LE51-Sewage-discharge/dp/B0057IHTMW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516323531&sr=8-2&keywords=liberty+sewage+pump+system) to see if they have any Asian/Australian resellers. And they do make a 220v model, though running a 115v line isn't really an issue for me.
kmanonmaui

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:04 am

kmanonmaui wrote:
Ians wrote:Google Saniflo, this is what you are looking for, however - I have no idea if they are available in Thailand. Maybe email the company and ask.

Thanks Ians, yes this company offers a brand of what I am looking for, but really don't need the macerating function.

I pretty much resigned now to shipping one from the US, and running a 110v/115v circuit for it, unless I backasswardly stumble across one in the meantime. Costly, but like Jerome stated, I should have thought about this in advance.

The Saniflo products are easy to find in the Australian web sites. You can also easily find 240V pumps designed for your job on e-bay, probably also on aliexpress.

Also don't forget that running US motors is not going give the same performance or lifespan as you not only have the voltage difference but also the fact that they are designed for a 60hz supply and thailand is a 50hz supply, so they are going to run slow and burnout more quickly.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby kmanonmaui » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:17 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:The Saniflo products are easy to find in the Australian web sites. You can also easily find 240V pumps designed for your job on e-bay, probably also on aliexpress.

Also don't forget that running US motors is not going give the same performance or lifespan as you not only have the voltage difference but also the fact that they are designed for a 60hz supply and thailand is a 50hz supply, so they are going to run slow and burnout more quickly.

Solid advice Jerome, thanks. I will see if I can find a Saniflo product that meets the ejection needs.

Many thanks to you and Ians for your guidance.
kmanonmaui

Postby kmanonmaui » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:05 am

To conclude this topic and hopefully provide others who are crazy enough to put in a basement or need to add a bathroom where you would need to push the water up and out, I was able to get ahold of Saniflo in Singapore who has several types of ejection pumps (I am looking at the SaniCubic & SaniPlus) and they have a distributor in Bangkok. Contact information pasted below:

Matthieu Esprit
SFA China Limited
6 Shenton Way #39-04
Singapore 068809
Tel: (65) 9633 5999
Email: met@sfagroup.com.sg

Thanks again for the boards help on this one!
kmanonmaui

Postby Ians » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:31 am

Sounds like a good result for you. Would be interested in price of such items - just for future reference.
Ians

Postby kmanonmaui » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:44 am

Ians wrote:Sounds like a good result for you. Would be interested in price of such items - just for future reference.

Sure thing. They have a variety of options. They have much less expensive options for just a single toilet. But, I am purchasing two different items (I'll post a comparison below). One Saniaccess 3 for my current build. Good for a full bathroom (W/C, Sink, Shower), stated price 39,100 baht before discount.
Screenshot 2018-01-23 at 11.32.48 AM.png

Second, one Sanicubic 2 Classic. This I plan to use for our '"shop", restaurant or whatever we end up building to keep myself busy in retirement. I also plan to have a below grade (though not fully below grade) basement for it as well. They advised this one would work well for a full kitchen and bathroom. Price before discount is 132,800 baht.

Screenshot 2018-01-23 at 11.36.20 AM.png

They did provide a total discount of 68,700 baht, but it is not broken down by item.

Hope that helps,
-k-
kmanonmaui

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:08 pm

FYI
IMG_3182.JPG
Sewage pump

IMG_3183.JPG
Sometimewoodworker

Next

Return to water and plumbing