Long run, village supply 1/2"!

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Long run, village supply 1/2"!

Postby nlimcm » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:47 am

Hello,
I'm struggling to decide what size pipe to use - and any plumbing advice would be greatly appreciated!

We have village water which comes in on 1/2 pipe -this is our only access and we have a 1/2 inch meter. The house will be approx 120m away, and we will probably have a tank and pump for the house supply.

My current question is what size pipe should I use? I've read lots about pressure and flow, and I understand bigger pipe equals less pressure loss over a distance (http://www.druckverlust.de/Online-Rechner/dp.php). But where our supply is small, what impact does this have? I'm also unsure what the village water supply pressure is to start with.

So, should I use a bigger pipe after the 1/2" meter?
Or make a concrete ring tank and then use a bigger pipe from there?

Right now we need to water trees etc and provide water for the build.

Many thanks
Natalie
nlimcm

Re: Long run, village supply 1/2"!

Postby Klondyke » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:42 pm

You cannot rely on a steady water pressure from the poor village system, especially when fed by 1/2" pipe.

You surely will need a storage tank at your house with a ball valve that shut off prior overflow (usually included in the plastic tank 1,000 - 2,000 L bought at GH or Thai Wasadu). From there on an automatic pressure pump keeping the pressure in the house water system.
Klondyke

Postby mikenot » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:57 pm

You will not gain any pressure by installing bigger pipe, so settle for the 1/2 inch and just let your tank fill gradually, with a pump to supply pressure into the house. Use the money you save by buying 1/2 inch pipe to get a better grade PVC !
mikenot

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:40 am

mikenot wrote:You will not gain any pressure by installing bigger pipe, so settle for the 1/2 inch and just let your tank fill gradually, with a pump to supply pressure into the house. Use the money you save by buying 1/2 inch pipe to get a better grade PVC !

While you will not gain pressure gain by installing a bigger pipe you will certainly loose much less.
I have chosen to use 32 mm ppr throughout our system and though it's a little bit more than double the price of ½ inch as a relative cost it is insignificant.

http://www.calculatoredge.com/mech/pipe%20friction.htm

IMG_1294.jpeg
¾ inch

IMG_1295.jpeg
1 inch

IMG_1293.jpeg
½ inch

IMG_1301.jpeg
Sometimewoodworker

Postby nlimcm » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:32 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Can anyone confirm what happens if I just go from the current 1/2" supply to 1" pipe across the land?
If not I will go with 1/2" pipe from the meter to a tank near the gate, then 1" pipe across the land to where the house will be.

Thanks
nlimcm

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:30 am

nlimcm wrote:Thanks for the responses.

Can anyone confirm what happens if I just go from the current 1/2" supply to 1" pipe across the land?
If not I will go with 1/2" pipe from the meter to a tank near the gate, then 1" pipe across the land to where the house will be.

Thanks

That is easy.

You will have vastly lowered friction losses in that pipe. For very low flow rates it may not be a big gain
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:07 am

One of the examples of inverted practice in Thailand: In many cases the investment is oversized (e.g. building structures), in many cases it's undersized (always water system).

Even the logic: I was once persuaded that the 1/2" is better, resulting in a higher pressure. :shock:
Klondyke

Postby nlimcm » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:40 am

Thanks - a tank and 1"pipe it is then!
nlimcm

Return to water and plumbing