Septic Systems in Thailand / Udon

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Septic Systems in Thailand / Udon

Postby kmanonmaui » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Hello All,

Before I even [url]start to think about how we do things here in the US[/url], I wanted to see what the most current info. you all might have on a recommended septic system that is also available in the Udon area. From reading the existing posts so far, I am understanding (I think) that:
- The systems are pretty available
- The sizing of the systems are usually much lower than US standards
- Above is not so bad because 1) The hotter weather helps the decomposition process and 2) Little to no toilet paper goes down the drain (even in the US I got the "manual" bidets and we love them. Only maybe once a month or so do any of us put a single square down our toilets as the hosing off normally yields nothing to stink on the first wipe and we just put in a trash can.
- Try and get your septic system and leach field on the opposite side of the property as your bore well resides.

But, the existing posts are several years old, so wanted to confirm above and ask for any updates and recommendations. We will be a small family (wife, me, and two infants) living in the property. Plenty of room on the 5.5 rai property, so that is not a factor.

Thanks in advance!
-k-
kmanonmaui

Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Re: Septic Systems in Thailand / Udon

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:05 pm

The septic systems work fine here as long as you have a French Drain (leach field) and I have two one at the back of the house and the other beside it.
Instead of one tank have two, one for solids and one for grey water.
Roger Ramjet

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:39 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:The septic systems work fine here as long as you have a French Drain (leach field) and I have two one at the back of the house and the other beside it.

Great, so same like we have in US? All sewage flows to the first tank, and the fluid floats over to the second and out to the leach field. Most of the breakdown occurs in the first tank. My leach field is the US is about 15 @ 4" (10 cm) perforated PVC pipes, each running about 8 meters out from second septic tank. The 15 rows are about 0.3m apart. Wouldn't call it a French Drain, as the pipes are under about 0.4cm of earth/soil, but sounds similar.
kmanonmaui

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:15 am

kmanonmaui wrote:The 15 rows are about 0.3m apart. Wouldn't call it a French Drain, as the pipes are under about 0.4cm of earth/soil, but sounds similar.

My outlets run into serated pipes that are sitting on about 6 inches of gravel and sand and then covered with soil. They are buried about 1 foot under the surface and sloped away from the last tank. Be careful, Thais don't understand what you are doing and I spent all day with a crew of 5 and a spirit level until they finally got it right.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:15 am

kmanonmaui wrote:The 15 rows are about 0.3m apart. Wouldn't call it a French Drain, as the pipes are under about 0.4cm of earth/soil, but sounds similar.

My outlets run into serated pipes that are sitting on about 6 inches of gravel and sand and then covered with soil. They are buried about 1 foot under the surface and sloped away from the last tank. Be careful, Thais don't understand what you are doing and I spent all day with a crew of 5 and a spirit level until they finally got it right.
Roger Ramjet

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:55 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:

Point taken. Yea, forgot about the nice clay soil. Will definitely pre-line with course gravel and sand before laying the pipe, and assure it is sloped down. Right below it is the best place to grow fruit trees on my property in the US (Hawaii) :-)
kmanonmaui

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:02 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:The septic systems work fine here as long as you have a French Drain (leach field) and I have two one at the back of the house and the other beside it.

For a house in town with a very limited area for soaking away that system is excellent.

However in the country side there is virtually no need for a grey water septic tank, running the outflow directly into the garden, or leach field if you want, is perfect. In fact grey water can smell worse than black water as there is not much for the microbes to chew on.

Running the grey water into the same septic tank as the black water isn't a great idea either as the flow is likely to exceed the designed flow rate for most tanks available here. In the countryside if you really want a grey water septic then you would be better advised to put in a concrete ring tank 5+ rings with no waterproofing, and you may not even need it to overflow into your leach field.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:57 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Running the grey water into the same septic tank as the black water isn't a great idea either as the flow is likely to exceed the designed flow rate for most tanks available here. In the countryside if you really want a grey water septic then you would be better advised to put in a concrete ring tank 5+ rings with no waterproofing, and you may not even need it to overflow into your leach field.

If I follow (grey vs. black) you mean sinks, washer and showers to the garden and toilet to the septic, correct? That used to be common here in the US, and is still done often where the city/county doesn't come investigate.
kmanonmaui

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Just to clarify, my grey water doesn't run into my black water septic tank, just the opposite in fact. They have worked very well for a number of years and the tree we have planted just down from the French drain is thriving.
Roger Ramjet

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:15 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:If I follow (grey vs. black) you mean sinks, washer and showers to the garden and toilet to the septic, correct? That used to be common here in the US, and is still done often where the city/county doesn't come investigate.

I shouldn't have been so obtuse and just Googled first :-)

"Blackwater contains the pathogens of faeces and the nutrients of urine that are diluted in the flushwater." Blackwater is a term dating to at least the 1970s. Water coming from domestic equipment other than toilets (e.g., bathtubs, showers, sinks, washing machines) is called greywater." from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwater_(waste)
kmanonmaui

Return to water and plumbing