pressure pump for guesthouse

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

pressure pump for guesthouse

Postby Trikke76 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:10 am

Anyone any idea what would be a good pump to use for the guesthouse ?

we have a watertank that will be filled from a bore

i just need a small pressure pump to have some pressure for the shower, sink and toilet in the guesthouse

also still need to look for a floater that will activate the pump from the bore once the tanks is empty
so if anyone has a tip ... ?

We are close to nakhon phanom so only globalhouse or local supplier as a close solution ...
Trikke76

Re: pressure pump for guesthouse

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:05 am

Trikke76 wrote:Anyone any idea what would be a good pump to use for the guesthouse ?

we have a watertank that will be filled from a bore

i just need a small pressure pump to have some pressure for the shower, sink and toilet in the guesthouse

also still need to look for a floater that will activate the pump from the bore once the tanks is empty
so if anyone has a tip ... ?

We are close to nakhon phanom so only globalhouse or local supplier as a close solution ...

GlobalHouse will have that kind of unit though it's unlikely to activate on empty usually on ¾ or ½ full. Usually costs 1,000 and up and is a single unit.
IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG (24.34 KiB) Viewed 155 times

There is another kind, showing in this http://www.coolthaihouse.com/origCTH/coolwater.htm thread that costs 370 Baht if you can find them (we just bought 2 in wood street), more simple design.
IMG_0720.JPG
Ours

As you have a shower then the smallest constant pressure pump will be enough. The EP155 is the one we use and have used for 10 years
IMG_0622.jpeg

IMG_0623.jpeg
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Ians » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:03 pm

personally I would opt for the first float switch shown on Sometimewoodworker post, normally last a life-time. If you go this way, check - some float switches activate on rise, some on fall and same can handle both. You need a switch that activates on fall (low level) to switch on and de-activates on rise (high level) to switch off. You need to set the on /off levels within the tank after installation.
Ians

Postby Klondyke » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:15 pm

Actually, each of those floating switches can be used for both cases: emptying the tank or filling the tank. They are attached with a simple diagram showing which 2 of the 3 wires are to be used for switching 1-ph pump.

That switch with 2 hanging swimmers has 2 sets of different terminals for that or the other case.

I have been using all these different types for my troubled water systems. Can be bought not only at the large dept. stores but also at village hardware stores, with prices usually much cheaper than mentioned above.
Klondyke

Postby Ians » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:33 pm

Not all float switches have 3 wires, hence my comment to check suitability.
Ians

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:49 am

Ians wrote:personally I would opt for the first float switch shown on Sometimewoodworker post, normally last a life-time. If you go this way, check - some float switches activate on rise, some on fall and same can handle both. You need a switch that activates on fall (low level) to switch on and de-activates on rise (high level) to switch off. You need to set the on /off levels within the tank after installation.

I don't understan what you mean by the first part of your post. AFIK to function correctly any float switch does the on on low off on high. Certainly the cheaper (second) one does.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Ians » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:30 am

As stated, not all float switches have 3 wire connection, this style has only 2 wire + earth - to activate on fall - off on rise, which as you say is normal. For my water tank I included an addition float which isolates the house pump if the tank level falls below the normal "low level on" switch, this ensure the house pump cannot start if the level falls below "x" in the tank to overcome any dry run problems, this float switch de-activates power on fall.
Just to summarise, my tank has 2 float switches - 1 for on / off normal tank level operation and the second 1 to isolate the house pump in cases of low level condition.

These switches were brought in from Aust. and not sure if available here - never had the need to investigate - possibly all float switches here are 3 wire.
Attachments
20170417_083456[1].jpg
Ians

Postby Klondyke » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:29 am

Ians wrote:As stated, not all float switches have 3 wire connection, this style has only 2 wire + earth - to activate on fall - off on rise,
These switches were brought in from Aust. and not sure if available here - never had the need to investigate - possibly all float switches here are 3 wire.

These switches are here available too, and/or in the shape I am showing below. I doubt that your switch has the 3rd wire as an earth, it is not needed at these switches. The 3 wires are connected to 3 terminals of a SPDT contact: the phase from your breaker is brought to the middle (C), the 2nd wire is used for interrupting (NC - Normally Closed) or switching on (NO - Normally Open) the pump, depending on the purpose and/or position of the float. Then, the 3rd wire is not used, however, can be also used for some signalising or switching ON of something else if the 2nd wire was for switching OFF (for interrrupting).

The length under the adjustable heavy ring is limitting the levels for switching ON and OFF or vice versa. Sometimes a bit confusing before getting the correct meaning, what is OFF, what is ON.

If you have a second float at the most MIN level, then it is for a double security against a dry run, however, not necessarily needed.
Klondyke

Postby Ians » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Look closely at the picture, the upper wire is yellow with green stripe - earth.
The second float controls the house pump - not the fill pump, protecting the house pump from dry run.
Ians

Postby Trikke76 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:54 am

Thx all for the info

will rook around in and around the city for prices of a floater
was thinking about buying one on aliexpress but it looks like it's probably more or less the same price then in Thailand

anyone with good experience with a electric water heater for the shower ?
or brands to avoid as hell ?
Trikke76

Postby Trikke76 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:02 am

maybe a stupid question

but can this floater be connected to the pump directly ?

or can it not handle the current of the pump and do i need to place some contactor to turn the pump on / off ?
Trikke76

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:04 am

Trikke76 wrote:maybe a stupid question

but can this floater be connected to the pump directly ?

or can it not handle the current of the pump and do i need to place some contactor to turn the pump on / off ?

The cheaper one can. I have no information about the more expensive one.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Ians » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:00 am

You need to check operating voltage of the float when selecting / ordering.
Ians

Postby Klondyke » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am

Yes, any of these types interrupts or switches directly the line from the breaker to the 1-ph pump, the other wire from the breaker (zero, ground) goes directly to the pump motor.

No need to check voltage of the switch, they are all for 250 V. The switches can handle the current of usual pumps for house, some 0.3 - 1.5 kW.
Klondyke

Postby Trikke76 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:11 am

Ok if they can handle the current then it should be fine

Thx guys
Trikke76

Next

Return to water and plumbing