Type of pump for well

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Type of pump for well

Postby Dean1953 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:09 pm

I have a house in Chiangmai Mai but haven't lived there since 2008. In 2010, I decided to drill for well water to supply water for my underground sprinkler system. It has 4 zones with 4 sprinklers per zone. The cost of using city water for the sprinklers was high and I figured that I would recoup the cost of the well in around 8 years. Secondly, it would be easier to rent the house out if the water bill didn't include the sprinklers. We have gone through 2 pumps and am looking for a reliable pump to have installed in December, when I'll fly over for 8 days. Four years ago, I brought over in checked luggage a used Grundfos mq3-45 pump, 230V, for a well on another property that I own and use it to pump water to the small house. It seems to be running fine. My main concern is reliability. I need it to run for at least 4-6 years without any supervision for a week at a time. I can buy another Grundfos in the U.S. For $430 on EBay and bring it over with me, if the cost of one in Thailand is considerably more than that. I am open to using other pumps and would appreciate suggestions. Most importantly, I would welcome recommendations of either dealers or plumbers in the Chiangmai Mai area that could handle my job. If there are any problems later, I can have a Thai friend call them to come out. They don't need to speak English. Thanks!
Dean1953

Re: Type of pump for well

Postby pipoz » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:24 pm

Dean1953 wrote:I have a house in Chiangmai Mai but haven't lived there since 2008. In 2010, I decided to drill for well water to supply water for my underground sprinkler system. It has 4 zones with 4 sprinklers per zone. The cost of using city water for the sprinklers was high and I figured that I would recoup the cost of the well in around 8 years. Secondly, it would be easier to rent the house out if the water bill didn't include the sprinklers. We have gone through 2 pumps and am looking for a reliable pump to have installed in December, when I'll fly over for 8 days. Four years ago, I brought over in checked luggage a used Grundfos mq3-45 pump, 230V, for a well on another property that I own and use it to pump water to the small house. It seems to be running fine. My main concern is reliability. I need it to run for at least 4-6 years without any supervision for a week at a time. I can buy another Grundfos in the U.S. For $430 on EBay and bring it over with me, if the cost of one in Thailand is considerably more than that. I am open to using other pumps and would appreciate suggestions. Most importantly, I would welcome recommendations of either dealers or plumbers in the Chiangmai Mai area that could handle my job. If there are any problems later, I can have a Thai friend call them to come out. They don't need to speak English. Thanks!

Isn't your Grundfos from the US, 110 Volt??

You can buy Grundfos in Thailand and last time I looked at them (in Udon Thani), I didn't find their price too outrageous

pipoz
pipoz

Re: Type of pump for well

Postby Dean1953 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:55 am

Most Grundfos pumps manufactured in the U.S. use 110 volts but, at least on EBay, you can find 230 volt pumps. Pumps weigh 33 pounds, so one pump could fit in checked luggage, with clothes stacked around it. I can buy one here for $430. If I can buy one in Thailand for no more than $500, I'd do that. I don't speak Thai, so it would be easier to talk with a dealer here and explain what it will be used for. However, if there is someone that can be recommended in Chiangmai Mai that has experience installing pumps, I'd go with them.
Dean1953

Return to water and plumbing