Pump types and sizes?

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Pump types and sizes?

Postby marcas » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:19 pm

We have a well on our land, 5.5 metres deep and currently as the water table is high, the water is only 2.5 rings down (14 in all). I plan to suck up water by pump and send to a storage tank, and then pump out and through the house with a second pump. Its a 2 bed 1 bath house, single floor with 2 people living there.

I am thinking Mitsubishi pumps, A small one for the house...........85, 105 or 155 and a bigger one o suck up water and send to the tank, I will use water direct from the first pump to water the garden too, maybe 202, 255 or more.

I've asked for information from the builder and friends, but nobody can give me the answers I am looking for.
I am thinking the WP range of pump with tank........is this correct?
Whats the difference with the EP range?
I will put a city water pipe in as back up, after last pump.
marcas

Re: Pump types and sizes?

Postby Ians » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:57 pm

Mitsubishi would be a good choice, but there are many others so it comes down to what ever you fancy.
A few comments for your consideration,
Why a larger pump on the well, doesn't need to be, the storage tank acts as a major buffer in the supply chain, therefore the well pump could be small, just runs a bit longer.
Have you thought out how you will control the well pump to start /stop automatically or will you do it manually?
Any major level changes from the low level in the well to the high point of your storage tank.
Good pre-thought will pay dividends in the long run, so don't charge in without thinking about it.

I would put a high and a low level float switches in the tank to control stop /start of the well pump and you should consider a float switch in the well to isolate the pump if the well level reduces too low.
Ians

Postby marcas » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:45 pm

I thought a small pump for the house because I doubt there will ever be more than one tap running at a time, and the reason I thought bigger at the well, is because I want to have a ring of four hose taps around the house, which I will use for the garden. If I put down a lawn of some kind, I figured I would rig up a mobile sprinkler system, that I can drag around and just snap connect at each tap point, rather than go into an underground venture. This rig may have up to four sprinkler heads or more, depending on spray distance, so it seemed like I would need a bigger pump?

I think I will use one of those electric float levels in the water tank, so it will only fill when the level is low, instead of having 2 pumps kicking in every time you open a tap.
Its the same thinking with the hose ring. If I pump to the hoses before the tank, only one pump will run, if its after, two pumps will run.

I am still confused as to what the difference is between the pump types. What I do know, is that the place we are renting had a pump and tank fitted because of local road works always turning off the supply. It was an Hitachi pump, one of the small box type without tank underneath. It worked for about a month and stopped. The owner took it away and had it looked at then reattached it. next time it lasted about two days and stopped again. She then cut all the pipes off and its never been seen since.
My friend says his Mitsubishi pump ran for 15 years with no problems, hence choice.

Oh, both pumps will be automatic.
marcas

Postby Ians » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:54 pm

Most pump "problems" are not the fault of the pump and as for Hitachi, would be as good as Mitsubishi.
Ians

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:00 pm

marcas wrote:We have a well on our land, 5.5 metres deep and currently as the water table is high, the water is only 2.5 rings down (14 in all). I plan to suck up water by pump and send to a storage tank, and then pump out and through the house with a second pump. Its a 2 bed 1 bath house, single floor with 2 people living there.

I am thinking Mitsubishi pumps, A small one for the house...........85, 105 or 155 and a bigger one o suck up water and send to the tank, I will use water direct from the first pump to water the garden too, maybe 202, 255 or more.

I've asked for information from the builder and friends, but nobody can give me the answers I am looking for.
I am thinking the WP range of pump with tank........is this correct?
Whats the difference with the EP range?
I will put a city water pipe in as back up, after last pump.

The WP series are well pumps.
The EP series are constant pressure pumps.

Mitsubishi only recommends the EP for instant shower use. Some people use the WP series pumps and have instant hot water showers, and report that they work OK.

The WP series have a pressure tank that may need occasional maintaince.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby schuimpge » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:44 am

Depending on the model, but do note that the cheaper (5,000 Baht range) pumps from Mitsubishi and Hitachi now have a mostly plastic 'water circuit' as where Fujika in the same range still has a metal body.

Bought a new pump for house supply last year at Home-Pro, with the guy explaining and showing it to me.
For Mitsubishi and Hitachi, to stay in the same price range as Fujika with their pumps, they started replacing formerly metal parts with plastic to save cost.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:28 am

Just to add. I had a 150w Fujika pump that had been running 10 years. The small pressure vessel gave up and might have been able to get a new part for it, but decided to get a larger pump because it now serves 2 houses. So we upgraded to a 250w Fujika.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby marcas » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:28 am

Yes, my friend mentioned Fujika to me when I once asked him about electric showers, I will check them out.

I forgot to say that I will use a mulitipoint hot water heater in the bathroom.

And yes, as you say, the EP range is a constant pressure pump. I was confused with the Hitachi, which both say automatic on them as far as I can remember.
marcas

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:02 am

marcas wrote:Yes, my friend mentioned Fujika to me when I once asked him about electric showers, I will check them out.

I forgot to say that I will use a mulitipoint hot water heater in the bathroom.

And yes, as you say, the EP range is a constant pressure pump. I was confused with the Hitachi, which both say automatic on them as far as I can remember.

They are both automatic (as in using a demand switch) the EP has an accumulator, the Mitsubishi term for a diaphragm pressure vessel, the WP sit on top of an open air pressure tank that can flood (not quite but near enough)
Sometimewoodworker

Postby marcas » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:48 pm

I went to Thai Watsadu and asked their staff about water pumps. I showed them my diagram and they said that in their opinion, I would need a pump no less than 200w for the house because of the water heater. I think thats tosh...............any comments?

Another guy I talked to says that he has a Mitsubishi with the air tank from his well into a tank and a Mitsubishi constant pressure pump after it (I don't know what size) he said, because he has 2 floors and 3 bathrooms.

Still none the wiser???
marcas

Postby Ians » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:11 am

Of course you are non the wiser, forget 200/300 watt etc, you need to be discussing the amount of flow and the amount of pressure you need.
Ians

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:54 pm

Ians wrote:Of course you are non the wiser, forget 200/300 watt etc, you need to be discussing the amount of flow and the amount of pressure you need.

Together with the length of pipe and its diameter.

FWIW the best way to ensure the best flow and pressure is to use large diameter pipe as long as possible.

Also with two people and an instant hot water heater an EQ150 is enough for us
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Ians » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:37 pm

[quote="Sometimewoodworker"]
Together with the length of pipe and its diameter.

Together with pipe lengths and vertical Heights.
Ians

Postby marcas » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:33 pm

Also with two people and an instant hot water heater an EQ150 is enough for us

Thanks for this answer....................that's all I wanted.................ffs, some people!!!!
marcas

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:21 am

marcas wrote:Also with two people and an instant hot water heater an EQ150 is enough for us

My bad: that should read EP150. The Current model number is EP155Q3

FWIW Also our instant water heater is a 3kw model; it is fine for most of the year, but after 10 years seems to struggle to get the water hot enough (over 35 degrees) during the cold season, I have to reduce the flow almost to the minimum.

I would guess that a 6kw model will be no problem.

image.jpeg
Sometimewoodworker

Next

Return to water and plumbing