How to make a shower drain

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

How to make a shower drain

Postby canopy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:37 am

I want to make a shower drain for a 2nd floor bathroom with a tile floor. Normally a two stage drain as shown below would be used in my country; the top to catch water over the tiles and the bottom to catch water under the tiles. After much searching I haven't found anything like this nor anything designed for making a shower pan. What is the local way of making a shower drain?

drain.jpg
canopy

Re: How to make a shower drain

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:52 am

canopy wrote:What is the local way of making a shower drain?

I have similar drains to your photo which I purchased at Thai Watsadu, they have a catchment area at the top for hair and other material and to clean you just have to remove the strainer.
Roger Ramjet

Postby canopy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:19 am

Checked Watsadu already and that sounds like something different. A shower drain has a flange at the bottom with bolts to clamp the shower pan membrane. This lower layer catches water that goes down the grout joints.
canopy

Postby canopy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:26 pm

Well since the parts apparently aren't sold here I am going to speculate Thai's don't build showers this way for 2 reasons:

1. In most houses the bathroom is built on the first floor slab. Water penetration under the tiles isn't a concern; a little more dampness/mold in the house and on the walls would be considered normal conditions to most people.

2. The well to do buy those ugly white plastic shower bases that sit on the floor instead of tiles.
canopy

Postby Klondyke » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:56 pm

Of course there are bathrooms also on 2nd floor and any higher ones in Thailand. I would not think that a water should ever get under the tiles unless the tiles are lousy provided.
Klondyke

Postby canopy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:01 am

I would not think...

I don't understand why one would be compelled to think out loud for something that's been understood for generations and has standard solutions. Grout joints and the mortar/thinset beneath them are not water tight. Water that gets below the drain needs a place to escape. Otherwise it will find its own way and drip...drip...drip...

But you do bring up a good point. It would be interesting to see how Thai condominium and hotel shower floors are made.
canopy

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:07 pm

The photo shown in first post is designed for use with a waterproof membrane that can be installed above or below a tile mortar screed the main floor can be either wood or concrete.

Have yet to see this type of drain fitting in Thailand. All bathrooms I've seen have been poured concrete no matter what floor they are installed on. Some even grade properly to the drain leaving no standing water.

If you are troubled with this type of Thai installation shower pans without walls with plastic drains are available.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby edvrijmoet » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:42 pm

I did found a Thai company making the shower drains you want look at their website.

http://www.knack.co.th/index.htm
edvrijmoet

Postby canopy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:13 pm

Amazing. Thank you sir.
canopy

Postby regknick » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:07 pm

Hello Canopy. Sorry to trouble you on this old thread but I wanted to ask a couple questions.

Did you contact Knack and buy their drain? Did you get it installed?

And for the big question... did you find anyone in Thailand selling Shower Liners?

I’m searching now. I’m building a house and small resort and my house bathrooms are next.

Thanks in advance and happy new year to you.

Robert
regknick

Postby Klondyke » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:43 pm

You can have a look at any hardware store around the corner - if not a large superstore (Global House, TW, etc) around - and you will surely find such floor drains as shown in the previous link the first two, square and round.
Klondyke

Postby canopy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:56 am

Did you contact Knack and buy their drain?

I ended up selecting kohler because I could choose from a dozen beautiful metal finishes for one that closely matches the tiles. Didn't find them in Thailand though.

And for the big question... did you find anyone in Thailand selling Shower Liners?

Yeah good question. I didn't find these anywhere. Not to worry, you can order the drain and shower liner on amazon and don't forget the specialized glue for the liner and corner pieces if needed.

Did you get it installed?

I sure did. After experiencing first hand and hearing about the many problems with Thai showers (leaks, low flow, too cold, mold, low quality fit and finish) I wanted to do it right. It was a whole lot of work carefully following many pages and steps of instructions from kohler how to do just the floor alone. I chose a glass shower door from homepro who makes them to order. I selected the shower hardware and a quartz threshold from the Hafele showroom in Bangkok. It was a massive DIY job, but in the end is the most fabulous shower I have seen in Thailand and a pleasure to use. It gushes out steam hot showers at 50 liters a minute with perfect thermostatic temperature control. People can flush toilets and fill buckets outside and the shower remains strong and temperature stable. To handle this do not forget very good plumbing and venting is needed and a septic system that accommodates a large surge.
canopy

Postby regknick » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:43 am

Awesome clarification and inspiration!

Many thanks.
regknick

Return to water and plumbing