Water pressure problems - HELP please....

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Water pressure problems - HELP please....

Postby chris0001 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:10 am

HI guys,

I have a house in bangkok and i have a good water pump. Im the bathrooms the water pressure is so incosistant. Sometimes the water pressure is ok but never good. and sometimes its useless. The house has plastic (blue) piping. How can i clean the pipes or is there a company in Bangkok that I can do this for me?

Let me know what you think?
chris0001

Re: Water pressure problems - HELP please....

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:48 am

chris0001 wrote:I have a house in bangkok and i have a good water pump. Im the bathrooms the water pressure is so incosistant. Sometimes the water pressure is ok but never good. and sometimes its useless. The house has plastic (blue) piping. How can i clean the pipes or is there a company in Bangkok that I can do this for me?

I think you are running out of mains pressure water. Your pump is doing its job but there is insufficient mains pressure to keep the flow going. The solution is to put in a small tank that fills first from the mains and then pump it from there. Be careful you have a return vavle that works, otherwise the water will go around and around and eventually pump it back into the mains.
I don't believe your problem is in the PVC piping.
There are a number of experts here that may have a different opinion though.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Klondyke » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:11 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
chris0001 wrote:I have a house in bangkok and i have a good water pump. Im the bathrooms the water pressure is so incosistant. Sometimes the water pressure is ok but never good. and sometimes its useless. The house has plastic (blue) piping. How can i clean the pipes or is there a company in Bangkok that I can do this for me?

I think you are running out of mains pressure water. Your pump is doing its job but there is insufficient mains pressure to keep the flow going. The solution is to put in a small tank that fills first from the mains and then pump it from there. Be careful you have a return vavle that works, otherwise the water will go around and around and eventually pump it back into the mains.

If he pulls the water directly from the incoming main, this is very wrong. It always has to be a storage tank filled in slowly during a sufficient water pressure (mostly at night) and the pump only from there. Otherwise he is pulling a water from his neighbours systems, sometimes with the dirt from their system.
Klondyke

Postby canopy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:27 am

Pumping from the mains is illegal. Lots of reasons, let's look at one. Consider a neighbor with a garden hose turned on laying in a mud puddle. In some circumstances your pump will suck that muddy water into your house.
canopy

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:33 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I think you are running out of mains pressure water. Your pump is doing its job but there is insufficient mains pressure to keep the flow going. The solution is to put in a small tank that fills first from the mains and then pump it from there. Be careful you have a return vavle that works, otherwise the water will go around and around and eventually pump it back into the mains.

Something like this should do.
Attachments
Holding-Tank.jpg
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:09 pm

This might be easier to follow shows the expansion tank that is normally above the pump and a bypass check valve but not the storage tank.

franklin-electric-inline-1100-constant-pressure-boosting-system-installation-diagram.png
BKKBILL

Postby Ians » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:17 pm

canopy wrote:Pumping from the mains is illegal. Lots of reasons, let's look at one. Consider a neighbor with a garden hose turned on laying in a mud puddle. In some circumstances your pump will suck that muddy water into your house.

More importantly if water supply lines and sewage lines are close together or located in water bearing ground.
Reason: consider the following scenario, the sewage pipe line could be leaking which charges the ground with untreated sewage, now if you are pumping from the water main and it in turn has any leak, there is a possibility that you could introduce a slight vacuum into the water line which in turn will entrain the leaked sewage into your water supply. An unlikely happening for one pump to be pumping off the water main but, if every man and his dog pumped off the main this is a real possibility.
And as few others have said, pumping from the main can under the right (or wrong) conditions entrain contaminated water from many sources.
Ians

Postby Klondyke » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:47 pm

There is a great choice of plastic tanks everywhere. My picture shows 1,500 l I have for rain water collecting. The tanks are usually sold together with float valve included (there is an inlet 1" on the back, not shown here).

At the bottom there are 2 outlets. The lowest one is for draining when the tank will be cleaned occasionally, the other one a bit higher is the outlet for the pump.

If not insisted on the 15 years Warranty - since not needed for an old buyer - a discount can be negotiated. (I have not succeded)
Klondyke

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:50 pm

Ians is certainly correct about cross connections. I didn’t mean to imply on my last post not to use a storage tank before the pump. Cross connections are a serious problem worldwide more so here with so many using pumps due to low water supply pressure.
BKKBILL

Return to water and plumbing