Thick pipe glue

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Thick pipe glue

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:43 am

You can reduce, or expand, pvc pipe using a heat gun. To reduce heat the part to be reduced, then use 1 or more hose clamps to squeeze the fitting onto a piece of blue pipe, after 5 to 10 mins take the hose clamps off and check the fit, repeat if needed, then when you are happy glue the fitting.

This worked well for me to make a custom fitting.

You may be able to bend pipe this way but that's much more difficult to get right.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby gliffaes » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:02 am

Shastadad wrote:
gliffaes wrote:Yes the thicker and stronger glue is made by SCG heres a picture, you could use more ptfetape and add this stuff too which seals up quite well on the left

I have found something at my local Home Mart that is made by SCG and comes in a tube rather than in a can so is thicker and says on the box HIGH PRESSURE for high pressure pipe

SCG tube.png

gliffaes could you explain what " ptfetape " is, I assume that your are not talking about "teflon" tape that is used to wrap around screw type fittings

Thanks to all that have replied to this query. We are not talking about a lot of play between the black pipe sleeve and the Thai blue pipe I have to use. I would just be happier if the pieces fit together snugly before I "glued " them together but you go to war with the army that you have, not the army you wish you had

It will have three connections that need to be joined: #1 will be from water reservoir to pump (suction), #2 will be from filter discharge to pond (flow), #3 from filter discharge to overflow for "back washing" using a proprietary six way valve system

stuff in the tube is the same as in the tin is showed, ptfe tape yes same teflon tape, the other stuff is good for bunging up threads too
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:03 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:You can reduce, or expand, pvc pipe using a heat gun. To reduce heat the part to be reduced, then use 1 or more hose clamps to squeeze the fitting onto a piece of blue pipe, after 5 to 10 mins take the hose clamps off and check the fit, repeat if needed, then when you are happy glue the fitting.

This worked well for me to make a custom fitting.

You may be able to bend pipe this way but that's much more difficult to get right.

depending on the bore of the pipe I have seen coil spring internal pipe benders used here, just insert in to pipe and apply force.............well for small bore anyway up to 3/4 inch
gliffaes

Postby thailazer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:20 pm

SD... Could you let us know what brand of pump has that proprietary fitting so none of us ever end up buying one?
thailazer

Postby Shastadad » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:13 am

Sorry to be so late in finishing up this thread but trying to get this project finished while the Koi's were in their temporary "pool" has been stressful

This is one of those situations where I would have been better off just following my instincts and not agonized so much over how to do it. The vendor said that the SCG (Chang) high pressure "solvent cement" would do just fine. Another swimming pool shop in Jomtien concurred so that was what I used, although the clerk at my local Home Mart agreed with the majority here that you cannot / should not use a solvent cement for connecting ABS plastic to PVC plastic

The best to use would be the Oatey, ABS To PVC Transition Green Cement as suggested by BKKBill but do to it's highly flammable nature it cannot not be ordered by mail, shipped to an address in the US, and then transhipped to Thailand. Both Lowes and Home Depot require you to pick it up in their stores

Another solution would be to use a Flexible PVC Coupling Fittings such as this:

coupling.png
coupling.png (19.52 KiB) Viewed 332 times

unfortunately I have not found anything similar in Thailand (and my attempts to duplicate it using a rubber inner tube was an abject failure) , so I ordered 3 from the US as a back up. The swimming pool shop in Jomtien has the coupling in stock for a mere 300 THB so I will be able to purchase new ones if the ones currently cemented using the SCG solvent should fail

As far as thailazer request for the brand of the pump I think that you will find that most swimming pool pumps available here in Thailand have the same problem that the connector coming out of their pumps is black plastic / ABS. At least that is what I saw while visiting four different swimming pool shops in the area. So this transition from ABS to PVC must be a fairly common problem here. My pump happens to be manufactured by Emaux and is part of a complete system that can be see here:

http://www.emaux.com.hk/vmchk/72-combo- ... finity-tpl

Once again thank to all for their suggestions and this is what make CTH such an outstanding resource here in the land of NO HAB
Shastadad

Postby Klondyke » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Shastadad wrote:...I think that you will find that most swimming pool pumps available here in Thailand have the same problem that the connector coming out of their pumps is black plastic / ABS.

Not very sure about the problem, my pump bought for B7,500 (in Thailand), no problem with the connection in/out 2" (white), reduced to 1.5" for filter (Global House B7,500), showing my Hi-Tech pump pit:

Klondyke

Previous

Return to water and plumbing