Thick pipe glue

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Thick pipe glue

Postby Shastadad » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:37 am

I am trying to join some Thai "2" inch blue water pipe (A) with a unit that has ostensibly a "2" inch coupler (B)

Unfortunately (B) has a small amount of play when (A) is inserted . Took it to a pool supply store and the information I got from the minimal English speaking sales person was that I was trying to use Thai pipe on a "Chinese" coupler and that the only solution was to use plenty of gow ( PVC cement)

Since this going to be under pressure and the couplers are expensive and not easily replaced does anyone know of a brand of PVC glue available here in Thailand that is a little thicker than what is normally found at the DYI stores :?:

Or, a way to make the blue pipe a little bit bigger so that it will be a tight fit before using the standard PVC cement :?:

Coupler.png
Shastadad

Re: Thick pipe glue

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:58 pm

Shastadad wrote:I am trying to join some Thai "2" inch blue water pipe (A) with a unit that has ostensibly a "2" inch coupler (B)

Unfortunately (B) has a small amount of play when (A) is inserted . Took it to a pool supply store and the information I got from the minimal English speaking sales person was that I was trying to use Thai pipe on a "Chinese" coupler and that the only solution was to use plenty of gow ( PVC cement)

Since this going to be under pressure and the couplers are expensive and not easily replaced does anyone know of a brand of PVC glue available here in Thailand that is a little thicker than what is normally found at the DYI stores :?:

Mine goes thick after a year or so if I've partly used it :D

The other thing you could try is to add flakes of blue pipe to a small can because the glue is a solvent so adding pvc should make it thicker.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby gliffaes » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:25 am

Yes the thicker and stronger glue is made by SCG heres a picture, you could use more ptfetape and add this stuff too which seals up quite well on the left
Attachments
IMAG0150.jpg
gliffaes

Postby thailazer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:46 am

Can't you get a PVC fitting with the same threads as shown on first photo by "B"? That way you could eliminate the problem with different materials that will likely not bond well.
thailazer

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:25 pm

I didn’t see what material your black fittings are.

If it is also PVC you try could wrapping a strong elastic band around the fitting heat it up when soft push the pipe into the hub fitting.

If the union fitting is ABS you can’t solvent weld the two together without using a transition solvent. I've done this in Canada so know it works on drainage but is not approved for pressure.

Here is a bit on that.

http://www.oatey.com/products/plastic-p ... een-cement

These solvent cements are not glue

So what is the black fitting made out of?

Think thailazer is on to something.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Klondyke » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:26 pm

If it is a coupler as shown on the picture, then no glue should be applied. The purpose is to be able to disconnected again after some time, important at the connection in and out at a pump that sometimes has to be repaired, hence disconnected.

Shastadad, you write "blue" pipe, my monitor shows it in black, quite rare in Thailand. Anyway, the blue PVC pipes are sometimes available in 2 grades, one is with stronger pipe wall thickness (more durable, more expensive), another is rather thin. When buying, it should be checked whether the connecting parts fits correctly.
Klondyke

Postby gliffaes » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:07 pm

ive got some "plumbers mate" from the UK might fix it
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Klondyke wrote:If it is a coupler as shown on the picture, then no glue should be applied. The purpose is to be able to disconnected again after some time, important at the connection in and out at a pump that sometimes has to be repaired, hence disconnected.

Shastadad, you write "blue" pipe, my monitor shows it in black, quite rare in Thailand. Anyway, the blue PVC pipes are sometimes available in 2 grades, one is with stronger pipe wall thickness (more durable, more expensive), another is rather thin. When buying, it should be checked whether the connecting parts fits correctly.

4 thicknesses 5-8.5-13.5 and am sure i saw an even higher rated one too
gliffaes

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:42 pm

gliffaes wrote:4 thicknesses 5-8.5-13.5 and am sure i saw an even higher rated one too

I've only ever seen the three you list in blue.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Shastadad » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:51 am

thailazer wrote:Can't you get a PVC fitting with the same threads as shown on first photo by "B"? That way you could eliminate the problem with different materials that will likely not bond well.

No, it is a proprietary connection. I purchased an extra one from the vendor who sold me the unit, just in case I had to fall back to a plan B (Duct tape)
Shastadad

Postby Shastadad » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:55 am

BKKBILL wrote:I didn’t see what material your black fittings are.

If it is also PVC you try could wrapping a strong elastic band around the fitting heat it up when soft push the pipe into the hub fitting.

If the union fitting is ABS you can’t solvent weld the two together without using a transition solvent. I've done this in Canada so know it works on drainage but is not approved for pressure.

Here is a bit on that.

http://www.oatey.com/products/plastic-p ... een-cement

These solvent cements are not glue

So what is the black fitting made out of?

Think thailazer is on to something.

The black fitting is a plastic, I am going to assume that it is PVC since other black fittings on the unit are joined to what I am positive is PVC pipe
Shastadad

Postby Shastadad » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:59 am

Klondyke wrote:If it is a coupler as shown on the picture, then no glue should be applied. The purpose is to be able to disconnected again after some time, important at the connection in and out at a pump that sometimes has to be repaired, hence disconnected.

B is black, there is no "blue" pipe in the picture, just a Blue arrow to indicate where the blue pipe is going to go. Changing grades of "blue pvc pipe" here in Thailand does not change the outside diameter of the pipe. Thicker pipe has thicker interior walls, so unfortunately that suggestion won't work
Shastadad

Postby Shastadad » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:33 am

gliffaes wrote:Yes the thicker and stronger glue is made by SCG heres a picture, you could use more ptfetape and add this stuff too which seals up quite well on the left

I have found something at my local Home Mart that is made by SCG and comes in a tube rather than in a can so is thicker and says on the box HIGH PRESSURE for high pressure pipe

SCG tube.png
SCG tube.png (105.79 KiB) Viewed 282 times

gliffaes could you explain what " ptfetape " is, I assume that your are not talking about "teflon" tape that is used to wrap around screw type fittings

Thanks to all that have replied to this query. We are not talking about a lot of play between the black pipe sleeve and the Thai blue pipe I have to use. I would just be happier if the pieces fit together snugly before I "glued " them together but you go to war with the army that you have, not the army you wish you had

It will have three connections that need to be joined: #1 will be from water reservoir to pump (suction), #2 will be from filter discharge to pond (flow), #3 from filter discharge to overflow for "back washing" using a proprietary six way valve system
Shastadad

Postby thailazer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:04 am

Another option you might consider is putting the blue pipe INSIDE the black fitting and then putting two hose clamps on the outside to compress the more flexible black against the rigid blue pipe. I just don't think that adhesive is going to work long term here, whereas a mechanical solution might. Even if you had to wrap the blue pipe with inner tube rubber first, it might be better than adhesive as you could apply a definite normal force to keep it in place.
thailazer

Postby Klondyke » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:35 am

Shastadad wrote: Changing grades of "blue pvc pipe" here in Thailand does not change the outside diameter of the pipe. Thicker pipe has thicker interior walls, so unfortunately that suggestion won't work

Yes, I agree, theoretically the outer diameters should be always same at different grades. However, many times I found certain tolerances at the various manufacturers, so the parts do not fit always properly together. Sometimes the connection is very loosen
Klondyke

Next

Return to water and plumbing