S-Bends & P-Traps

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

S-Bends & P-Traps

Postby fairdinkum » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:17 pm

I've installed a P-Trap for my toilet. The builder says I don't need it. Why? Most plumbing diagrams show one as being necessary.

Confused.
fairdinkum

Re: S-Bends & P-Traps

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:30 pm

fairdinkum wrote:I've installed a P-Trap for my toilet. The builder says I don't need it. Why? Most plumbing diagrams show one as being necessary.

Confused.

He is correct. The toilet includes its own P-trap. Installing a 2 nd trap may well stop the toilet working correctly

But you should includ a vent, and check that the toilet has been correctly made so there is no vent built into the toilet.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fairdinkum » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks mate.
fairdinkum

Postby Buriram Builders » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:17 pm

A proper P trap, one with a drain plug you can unscrew, similar to the P trap under a sink, is a helpful item in Thailand under a bathtub. A mistake my builder in Buriram made was to get cheap, and lazy, and put the drain from the urinal and the drain from the shower in the same PVC pipe to a grey water drain. So the shower had a horrible smell every time someone flushed the urinal. That mistake was fixed promptly once I looked under the two downstairs bathrooms. Now the urinal drain pipe goes properly to the DOS septic tank and the shower drain has a separate PVC pipe to the grey water drainage system. No longer any bad smells in the shower. I did see that a proper P trap was installed under the bathtub with access to that to drain out hair every year.
Buriram Builders

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:43 pm

Buriram Builders wrote:A proper P trap, one with a drain plug you can unscrew, similar to the P trap under a sink, is a helpful item in Thailand under a bathtub. A mistake my builder in Buriram made was to get cheap, and lazy, and put the drain from the urinal and the drain from the shower in the same PVC pipe to a grey water drain. So the shower had a horrible smell every time someone flushed the urinal. That mistake was fixed promptly once I looked under the two downstairs bathrooms. Now the urinal drain pipe goes properly to the DOS septic tank and the shower drain has a separate PVC pipe to the grey water drainage system. No longer any bad smells in the shower. I did see that a proper P trap was installed under the bathtub with access to that to drain out hair every year.

While it's common practice here to separate grey and black water that's not the case in some other countries, so sending the urinal into the same pipe as the shower drain shouldn't have caused the problem by itself. It would have probably been 1 of 3 things
1) no p-trap in the shower.
2) no, or badly fitted p-trap in the urinal.
3) bad or no venting.
Changing the urinal to discharge into the septic tank is probably helpful all round.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Ians » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:54 pm

In my build I sent shower floor drain with "Smart Drain", wash basin (with separate P trap) and general bathroom floor drain into a common line that included a trap (shown in a separate posting viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4870&start=15 (posted mid January) after which the toilet and urinal (including its own P trap) joined the line on it's way to the septic tank.
Everything works fine with exception of a note I added to the following regarding "Smart Drains"
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4870&p=64668#p64668 (posted today)

Trust this is clear to others - I think it's clear to me - but then I'm not 100% sure :)
Ians

Return to water and plumbing