Water Pipe Specifications

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Water Pipe Specifications

Postby Shastadad » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:17 pm

I just went to the local store to purchase some PVC water pipe and was amazed that there was no way to reconcile displayed pipe diameter versus actual (measured) diameter. The poor girl that was helping me tried to explain the discrepancy based upon the "inner" dimensions. This sorta worked for the one piece I had in my hand but when I looked at a piece without a small lip on the inside the dims were really off

So I went to another web site, after searching here at CTH, and could not find any explanation for the disconnect until I happened upon a web site that spells out the dimensions of Thai PVC pipes. Evidently the problems lies with converting between the metric system and "inches" . I guess that Thais just "round up" in their conversion from mm to inches

So if you find yourself trying to purchase the correct size pipe based upon measuring, go here for a chart that will make it a little easier

http://www.thaipipe.com/products&services/upvcpipe.htm

Pipe chart.png
Shastadad

Re: Water Pipe Specifications

Postby thailazer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:51 pm

It seems the village hardware stores carry pipe that is off those standards. Name brand stuff from a place like Home Mart is a much better bet.

We used PP-R in our house but did use a little PVC outside. Would advice against PVC as after four years, the stuff was very brittle. Broke one faucet upright and in replacing it, found the entire painted PVC pipe was super brittle. I knew ultraviolet was bad for that stuff, but heat alone is enough to make it brittle. I see many villages with the PVC pipe lying out in the open, oxidized to a white color and wonder how it stays together.
thailazer

Re: Water Pipe Specifications

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:06 pm

thailazer wrote:It seems the village hardware stores carry pipe that is off those standards. Name brand stuff from a place like Home Mart is a much better bet.

We used PP-R in our house but did use a little PVC outside. Would advice against PVC as after four years, the stuff was very brittle. Broke one faucet upright and in replacing it, found the entire painted PVC pipe was super brittle. I knew ultraviolet was bad for that stuff, but heat alone is enough to make it brittle. I see many villages with the PVC pipe lying out in the open, oxidized to a white color and wonder how it stays together.

That is a reason to use 13.5 everywhere, apart from toilet wast pipe maybe, that you can.
Sometimewoodworker

Return to water and plumbing