Floor drain P-trap

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby canopy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:52 pm

scudman wrote:He wants to run the two floor drains together and then to one P-trap before it goes to the sewer


Note there is a maximum distance from drain to trap. It depends on a few things and will most likely fall well below 2M. Exceeding it on either one you can look forward to odors and poor drainage. And what is the venting design?
canopy
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby scudman » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:50 pm

canopy wrote:
scudman wrote:He wants to run the two floor drains together and then to one P-trap before it goes to the sewer


Note there is a maximum distance from drain to trap. It depends on a few things and will most likely fall well below 2M. Exceeding it on either one you can look forward to odors and poor drainage. And what is the venting design?


He is going to put an example together for me, ( I have 6 baths to do), but I believe it will be under 2 meters. Venting was planned at the septic tank, which I believe to be the common practice here.
User avatar
scudman
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:22 pm
Location: Phuket, Cherng Talay district.

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:39 pm

scudman wrote:
canopy wrote:
scudman wrote:He wants to run the two floor drains together and then to one P-trap before it goes to the sewer


Note there is a maximum distance from drain to trap. It depends on a few things and will most likely fall well below 2M. Exceeding it on either one you can look forward to odors and poor drainage. And what is the venting design?


He is going to put an example together for me, ( I have 6 baths to do), but I believe it will be under 2 meters. Venting was planned at the septic tank, which I believe to be the common practice here.

Venting at the septic is may not be needed depending on the design of your waste water system

But you must vent after each P-trap anyway. If you don't there is every chance that most of them will not work as the water that needs to be in them will be siphoned out.

It looks as if your builder has no idea of how to design a western plumbing system so is adding your "strange" plumbing, but not doing the other bits that are needed.

http://www.id-sphere.com/2010/01/tips-o ... ils-pipes/

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/f ... lines.html
http://m.wikihow.com/Vent-Plumbing
image.jpg
Example DWV system
image.jpg (32.37 KiB) Viewed 597 times
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:30 pm

Thing is in Thailand under normal practice you will have two drainage systems. One for toilets, urinals and such (black water) the other sinks, showers (grey waste) so getting a vent system as shown will probably not happen nor is it necessary IMHO. These different piping systems don't run to the septic tank just the black waste does or at least should.

I know it's not western venting but the systems are not the same. This has been discussed on CTH many times on many threads all the way up to 3” copper vents.

You should at the least put a “P” trap under each shower and sink.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:22 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Thing is in Thailand under normal practice you will have two drainage systems. One for toilets, urinals and such (black water) the other sinks, showers (grey waste) so getting a vent system as shown will probably not happen nor is it necessary IMHO. These different piping systems don't run to the septic tank just the black waste does or at least should.

I know it's not western venting but the systems are not the same. This has been discussed on CTH many times on many threads all the way up to 3” copper vents.

You should at the least put a “P” trap under each shower and sink.

Very true.

However one system or 2 the physics don't change. If you don't vent you can easily siphon the water out of the trap.

You may avoid the problem if you use large diameter waste pipe, as it can self vent.

image.jpg
Large and small outlets


image.jpg
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:42 pm

^

True, it is what it is.

A 2" p trap should handle it especially if the strainer has a brass flapper that seals the opening as most of the better ones do.

This is what the ones we use look like.
Attachments
Bathroom-4-stainless-steel-self-sealing-water-trap-anti-odor-deodorization-type-floor-drain.jpg
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby Buriram Builders » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:09 pm

Most any Cotto dealer can sell you a quality "Smart Drain" for your shower. Cotto is not the only brand of this "Smart Drain", but it is a proven product and has been available since at least 2008. I have bought the Cotto Smart Drain in Surin at Home Mart and in Buriram at a Builders Merchants Store. It is less than 700 baht and has lasted over 7 years in my Buriram shower floor. You cut a piece of your floor tile and it installs on this Cotto Smart Drain. It is better and easy to install when building a house in Thailand and harder to do as a minor replacement. I've done both and highly recommend the smart drain as an item to install in every shower when building a house in Buriram or any part of Thailand. The Cotto Smart drain is in a clear box with a red cardboard backing on the box.
Attachments
Buriram Cotto shower smart floor drain.jpg
The Cotto smart drain is for a shower floor in Thailand
Buriram Cotto Smart Drain Shower Fittings.jpg
The shower floor drain is in the hand of the Cotto toilet salesman
Buriram Builders
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:42 pm

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby scudman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Buriram Builders wrote:Most any Cotto dealer can sell you a quality "Smart Drain" for your shower. Cotto is not the only brand of this "Smart Drain", but it is a proven product.....


BKKBILL wrote:^

This is what the ones we use look like.



Thanks for the suggestions. I will look for these products at my local stores; Thai Watsadu and Home Mart.
User avatar
scudman
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:22 pm
Location: Phuket, Cherng Talay district.

Re: Floor drain P-trap

Postby Ians » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:31 pm

Be aware if you fit a "Smart Drain" prior to a "P" trap it can cause a problem as I have discovered, you can end up with an airlock between the drain and the P trap and the water from the shower doesn't drain properly - in my case I had to drill a small vent hole in the smart drain to allow the air between the smart drain and the P to vent - so in effect if you have a P trap in the line you don't need or shouldn't use a Smart Drain.
I have a couple on floor drain discharging to a general grey water system without any P trap in the line and they do as they are supposed to do.

If no P trap, then the smart drain is an ideal solution in overcoming any smell coming back up the drain.
User avatar
Ians
 
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Phitsanulok

Previous

Return to water and plumbing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest